HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 10:45 PM

Nice! And don't mind the height , hope it goes ahead

Old Posted May 10, 2018, 11:02 PM

I like it too. There was some interesting discussion about it at the DRP. It is a really long lot, about 84m. The building right now is about 74/5m long. A lot of the conversation was about how they could break it up a bit and make it less slabby. Apparently if they make the each "wing" taller and reduce the height of the middle portion it would require two sets of elevators instead of one to service the building. They also mentioned a lot of engineering stuff regarding the mechanical penthouse that I didn't really understand. The panel didn't really seem against this development, but wanted to see a bit more definition in the tower to help break it down and keep it from feeling too long.

Hopefully good quality versions of the renders/plans come online as there was a lot of detail about the cladding in the legend. They're proposing red and black brick, white precast, and black metal.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
I like it too. There was some interesting discussion about it at the DRP. It is a really long lot, about 84m. The building right now is about 74/5m long. A lot of the conversation was about how they could break it up a bit and make it less slabby. Apparently if they make the each "wing" taller and reduce the height of the middle portion it would require two sets of elevators instead of one to service the building. They also mentioned a lot of engineering stuff regarding the mechanical penthouse that I didn't really understand. The panel didn't really seem against this development, but wanted to see a bit more definition in the tower to help break it down and keep it from feeling too long.

Hopefully good quality versions of the renders/plans come online as there was a lot of detail about the cladding in the legend. They're proposing red and black brick, white precast, and black metal.

Much better...love the curves and design elements with glass and precast balcony angles.

Hate to break it to the DRP but you can't have it both ways...complain like country bumpkins everytime someone comes in with a high-rise, and then turn around and complain that everything is too slabby when you've endorsed new city policies that guarantee us many years of slabs due to lack of height allowance. These guys and NA groups act like money grows on trees and developers can just start doing all sorts of extras and adding double elevator shafts etc.... newsflash geniuses, these guys could have done a 30 storey tower with central elevator system if this project was in a normal city enthusiastic about 21st century growth. The likes of your panel are why we're looking at low-rise, long slabs now.....

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 4:42 PM
Forever forward.

Don't care much for the curviness personally, but the density is perfect for that location (could probably even support 4 or 5 more floors). Hope this gets through.

Old Posted May 11, 2018, 5:53 PM

Tremendous improvement over the initial design! Definately one of my most anticipated along with Corktown plaza as far as critically needed infill goes.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 7:20 PM

Great project for a mid-rise. I wish they'd terrace another six storeys up, but I'll take it.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 12:49 AM

According to Joey Coleman - 1 Jarvis - directly adjacent to this project now also proposed concept plan to have 14 storey residential and ground floor commercial tower.

https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...23657914257415

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 1:14 AM

this entire parking lot district north of King could become a walkable, business-friendly residential hood if we get several of these types of projects with enough density, and ground floor retail.

Think Pearl District in Portland

Or, St Lawrence Market TO

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
According to Joey Coleman - 1 Jarvis - directly adjacent to this project now also proposed concept plan to have 14 storey residential and ground floor commercial tower.

https://twitter.com/JoeyColeman/stat...23657914257415
very busy with all the election coverage and City Hall monitoring I do, with apologies that I haven't had time to write on 212 KW.

The importance of my pulling the 1 Jarvis file is that there is a neighbouring application which means City staff are able to work to address the adjoining podiums, and assist both developers in reaching agreements on how they meet.

The 212 KW proposal has is proposes some interesting design attempts to decreasing how imposing the south wall to 1 Jarvis will be. If both projects are viable and can reach agreements, there will be a cost savings to just having a wall without design elements.

City staff receive the consultation request from 1 Jarvis on May 4, and began working on it nearly immediately; a date for the staff Development Review Team meeting is almost set, once this occurs, I'll pull the file again and provide more information in a report.

My usual practice is to await the DRT stage before reporting on concepts because they are very fluid in the early stages, and will change.

In this instance, there is a strong news value to reporting there is a consultation request only due to the interface with 212 KW.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 11:07 AM

^^^ Hey Joey, no worries about time to post, think we all appreciate your contributions and increasing public awareness of local things that matter. Again, thanks for this.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 12:45 PM

very good opportunity for the builders to work together and join the rear wall of their podiums.
This is what Vranich is planning to do at King/Caroline. He's not yet been approved for the adjoining property facing King, but I suspect will be headed through the approvals process this year.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:15 PM

I wonder if the Ticats are going to move to Tim Horton's Field.

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:33 PM

I wonder if they're moving here or if this is a google error:

Old Posted May 15, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
I wonder if the Ticats are going to move to Tim Horton's Field.
There's as good a chance of that as the Grey Cup coming to Hamilton. The city won't even acknowledge the Ticats until the stadium lawsuits are done.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTfan View Post
very good opportunity for the builders to work together and join the rear wall of their podiums.
This is what Vranich is planning to do at King/Caroline. He's not yet been approved for the adjoining property facing King, but I suspect will be headed through the approvals process this year.
well as long as he keeps it under 31 storeys - wouldn't want any views of.....not sure ... being blocked

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
There's as good a chance of that as the Grey Cup coming to Hamilton. The city won't even acknowledge the Ticats until the stadium lawsuits are done.
Heard some rumblings that progress is being made on the lawsuit discussions. Close to a settlement.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:50 AM

https://kiwicondos.com/

They've started blocking off some of the land over the past few days.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:57 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by interr0bangr View Post

Eeeeexcellent. Glad to hear this is moving forward. I'll try to take some pictures in the coming days of the what the site looks like now.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 1:34 PM

Quote:

holy crap the video on the marketing site is too funny! almost like it's a parody video.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 2:54 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:

The site doesn't seem to work anymore..

*edit* ah it works now - yeah that is a goofy video. Building up king william to be a major vibrancy corridor really seems to be the citys focus atm, along with james st.

Last edited by Chronamut; Jan 8, 2019 at 3:16 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton