HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 10, 2010, 4:19 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFPCME View Post
Shakman:

In all my 25-plus years of bidding contracts to the Federal government, there is one rule--you take the decision schedule and add months to it. This is especially true with a $1.5B construction project in today's economy. There are so few large, public construction projects going on, which is exactly the opposite of what the economy needs in my opinion, that each bidding contractor will scrutinize the selection process if they don't win, hoping to find grounds that they can base a protest of the decision on. So the Feds are being very careful. My guess is that the Feds are trying to find as many ways as possible to divvy up the project to as many contractors as they can, so the Government can avoid protests to its decision. That's usually the way it works. If the decision gets protested, it will drag on and on. The Air Force new tanker program is a classic example.
I have done plenty of Federal bids and construction as well. Sometimes Feds do as they announce, but I do agree with you on this one. I was always under the impression that this project would be divided among contractors considering the fact that this project has many components. I would like to see as many local contractors as possible involved with this one.

-sb

Last edited by shakman; Apr 17, 2010 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 12:03 PM

Draper giving final OKs to mall project

City hopes eateries, entertainment and shops revitalize area

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...l-project.html

Draper plans to revamp the VF Factory Outlet Mall, seen April 7, and breathe new life into the failing commercial space.

...On Tuesday, the Draper City Council (acting as the Draper Redevelopment Agency) will make final approvals on a 39-acre project that covers the mall block between Factory Outlet Drive and 150 East. Tenants include America's Incredible Pizza Company, a 1950s-themed, 54,500-square-foot family fun center that is already under construction on the north end of the property. The council will also vote on a 12-screen Cinemark movie theater, the city's first. Restaurant and retail pads are also slated for the site.

Shoppers and shops are few and far between at the outlet mall, which is getting a remodel and new facade. (Jason Olson, Deseret News)

As part of the project, the mall, also known as Vanity Fair Factory Outlet Mall and The Outlets @ Draper Peaks, are currently being remodeled on the interior and getting a new facade...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 12:09 PM

Briefs: Sephora to open in Fashion Place

MURRAY — Shoppers will soon be carrying around the trademark black-and-white striped bags filled with goodies from beauty retailer Sephora.

The San Francisco-based company — a division of French company Mo't Hennessy Louis Vuitton, based in Paris — will open a 5,515-square-foot store in the Fashion Place Mall, 6191 S. State, on June 4, a spokeswoman for Sephora USA Inc. told the Deseret News on Monday. The store will offer more than 13,000 makeup, skin-care, hair and bath products from more than 200 brands, including Sephora's private label of beauty products

.Aside from a presence in the J.C. Penney store in Riverdale, Utah has been one of the only states in the western United States without a stand-alone Sephora, although there is a 400,000-square-foot distribution center in western Salt Lake City where products are boxed and shipped to the approximately 100 stores west of the Mississippi River.

— Laura Hancock

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 1:07 PM

New firehouse first of five for Salt Lake County

Millcreek » Herriman, Magna, SLC to get new stations, too.

http://www.sltrib.com/slc/ci_14493146

Fire station 106 opened in its new home at 1911 E. 3300 S. in East Millcreek. (Francisco Kjolseth / The Salt Lake Tribune)

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 1:42 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Briefs: Sephora to open in Fashion Place

MURRAY — Shoppers will soon be carrying around the trademark black-and-white striped bags filled with goodies from beauty retailer Sephora.

The San Francisco-based company — a division of French company Mo't Hennessy Louis Vuitton, based in Paris — will open a 5,515-square-foot store in the Fashion Place Mall, 6191 S. State, on June 4, a spokeswoman for Sephora USA Inc. told the Deseret News on Monday. The store will offer more than 13,000 makeup, skin-care, hair and bath products from more than 200 brands, including Sephora's private label of beauty products

.Aside from a presence in the J.C. Penney store in Riverdale, Utah has been one of the only states in the western United States without a stand-alone Sephora, although there is a 400,000-square-foot distribution center in western Salt Lake City where products are boxed and shipped to the approximately 100 stores west of the Mississippi River.

— Laura Hancock

Sephora is a great place; large selection. It is heaven for me since I am a cologn person.

-sb

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 12:40 PM

Draper paves way for pizza and movies at mall
-
Redevelopment » City employs tax-increment financing to build entertainment venue.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14878355

Draper » It will cost taxpayers $1.4 million up front, but city officials here say its an investment that will eventually pay for itself and set the stage for a new chapter in Draper's economic development.

Here's the deal: the Draper Redevelopment Agency will underwrite construction of a movie theater complex at the aging Factory Stores of America mall, 12100 S. State St., if the mall owners spruce the place up enough to attract a national food and entertainment vendor...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 1:34 PM

Golf course construction at The Canyons could begin this summer

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_14876660

County official says course completion set for 2013

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 1:53 PM

A few cool panos of the MLS champs new stadium, by swilsonmc

By Swilsonmc

Old Posted Apr 15, 2010, 7:00 PM
BANNED

Would have looked even more impressive with a lit Salt Lake City skyline in the background.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2010, 5:08 PM

Rio Tinto is such an impressive structure. It is disappointing that it wasn't built in SLC but nevertheless it turned out great. I'm a season ticket holder for the RSL, it's great to have a new stadium, it's also great that it's near TRAX. I love getting on the train and heading home while people are fighting just to get out of the parking lots.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 2:23 AM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanboy View Post

Would have looked even more impressive with a lit Salt Lake City skyline in the background.
Especially when looking down the field. I agree about the location of the stadium. It is unfortunate that the stadium is not in Downtown. However at least the name is Real "Salt Lake".

-sb

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 3:28 AM

Oooh. I never considered that it could have been "ReAl Sandy"...

*shudder*

Old Posted Apr 17, 2010, 6:11 PM

Funny right? The pro team in Salt Lake City (Utah Jazz) doesn't have the city's name, and the team not in the city, has its name. I seriously don't mind the stadium where it is. If it were in SLC, I think it would have proved much harder for future stadiums to be there. If you look around the nation there are loads of stadiums out in the burbs. I'd rather have MLS in the burbs and NHL, MLB, and/or NFL in the city.

I've actually thought the MSL stadium would have been a good choice in West Valley, or somewhere in the vicinity of the west side, such as Glendale, seeing their higher diverse demographics and especially Hispanic population, which is huge on soccer.

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 4:04 AM

Tavaci development unveils new plans for property near Big Cottonwood Canyon

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...od-Canyon.html

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS — Tavaci developer Terry Diehl has proposed limiting building heights and commercial shops on his property at the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon, but both he and a committee of residents say the idea is just a "starting point."...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 10:52 AM

Oracle resumes facility's construction in West Jordan

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...struction.html

WEST JORDAN — Oracle has resumed construction on a 180,000-square-foot data center, the Governor's Office of Economic Development said Thursday.

Construction began a little over a year ago and represents a $285 million capital investment by the company...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 1:31 PM

County says Air Force is eyeing hotel site at The Canyons - Military did not comment about whether resort would be built near ski area

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_1496984...ce=most_viewed

Summit County officials are anxiously awaiting word from the Air Force as to where the military plans to locate a hotel that would cater to servicemen...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2010, 1:51 PM

The Montage ~ Check out the virtual promotion pics of the Metro's newest five-star hotel. This is going to be one very impressive project. Along with the new St. Regis, Sky Lodge, and Waldorf Astoria's Dakota, this really helps to solidify the Park City Ski Area of the metro among the top of the heap.

http://www.montagedeervalley.com/dee...ey-resorts.php

Mountain States Construction: Montage Deer Valley Resort

By Brad Fullmer - Spring 2010

The estimated $280-million Montage Deer Valley hotel and resort in Empire Canyon at Deer Valley Resort in Park City, Utah, should be complete by the end of 2010.

Jeff Mongan, a partner with developer Athens Group of Phoenix, says the structure portion has been completed by general contractor Layton Construction Co. of Sandy, Utah, with construction crews presently working on interior framing, mechanical and electrical rough-ins, and interior finishes in certain areas.

Mongan says that working in tough winter conditions and site conditions are “the biggest challenges we’ve had.”

The project site required extensive preparation. Crews installed 157 foundation piers up to 3 ft in diameter, some drilled down to 95 ft in certain areas.

The Montage Deer Valley is the third Montage project to be developed by Athens Group. The other two are in California—the Montage Laguna Beach and Montage Beverly Hills.

“The Montage Deer Valley is indeed a luxury property similar to the other Montage projects we have developed,” Mongan says. “It will compete at the high end of the marketplace.”

The design is a mountain-style lodge. It includes a generous use of stone, high ceilings and expansive windows with panoramic views of the adjacent Deer Valley ski slopes.

The ski-in, ski-out property will feature 174 guest rooms and suites, as well as 81 private residences. Year-round luxury amenities will include a 35,000-sq-ft spa, three distinct dining venues, an expansive lobby lounge with bar and terrace, and 17,000 sq ft of meeting/event space.

The project will feature three levels of heated underground parking along with retail shops. Guests will have access to 24-hour room service while the spa will offer club-style relaxation areas and locker rooms.

Each guest room will have a gas fireplace, mountain and valley views and stone bathrooms with separate glass-wall showers and soaking tubs.

The private residences are on the upper six floors of the resort.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 30, 2010 at 2:12 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 1:51 AM

As someone who has lived in Park City for many years and grew up skiing Deer Valley and Park City five days a week for 10 years I must say that I am really saddened to see these hotels being built. They are monstrous hotels who take up massive sides of mountains in areas that should be preserved as nature. Park City is the new Aspen and though I realize and support the fact Park City needs to grow I think the city council and politicians went about it the wrong way.. Its truly sad to see.

Old Posted May 1, 2010, 2:32 AM

It is pretty unfortunate. I want Park City to have nice accommodations, but I agree, it's just the new Aspen. I prefer the Cottonwoods as far as skiing and scenery, etc, so I hope they're not exploited the same way Deer Valley has been.

Old Posted May 5, 2010, 2:37 PM

Military hopes to locate hotel at The Canyons - Agreement could also mean a major commercial development in Silver Creek

http://www.parkrecord.com/ci_1501626...ce=most_viewed

Going on vacation can take a bite out of the pocketbooks of many military families, so Pentagon officials have pushed to build hotels to offer discounts to soldiers.

If a complex agreement is signed by Park City, Summit County and the state Military Installation Development Authority, military men and women may soon be vacationing at The Canyons, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking or hiking at the largest ski area in Utah...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West