HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Sep 13, 2006, 9:55 PM

Ah, DaveofCali... I was just about to email you after looking up www.wtc3d.com on the Internet Archive. I was a fan of yours for that very reason; that you could actually walk through a fairly detailed recreation. Actually, my computer had a hard time handling it back then, but I put up with my computer's frame rates because what I did see was very much worth it.

It's a shame the domain's down, cause I'd love trying it out on my more up-to-date computer. (Got a Radeon X800 Pro for Half Life 2 when it came out in 2004... which is nothing now!

Can't someone create a "game" environment, keeping the detail, while still being able to walk through smoothly?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 3:27 PM
Because I'm Clever!

^Not mine. There's an average of 1 million polygons on screen at any one time. Since the Radeon has shitty OpenGL performance (always has), you're disadvanted to my 6800GT flashed to Quadro 4500, which is the only way I can view the model. However, I've learned some new tricks and will look at cuting the poly count significantly while enhancing look at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2006, 10:17 AM

Love your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Work beings on the WTC concourse. After that, I'll see what I can do with the lower floors.
I have been watching your progress for some time STR and quite frankly it is looking awesome. I have been dabbling with 3D real time game engines but the level of detail you have is brilliant. Where do you get the reference information? I've searched the net for years and have never seen plans of the concourse etc.

I lack any photos of the sky lobbies and lift entrances in foyer. If you could point me in the right direction I would very much appreciate it.

If you are interested my current build (CS_NorthTower) is out public now for Counter Strike Source. http://halflife2.filefront.com/file/...ower_Map;71297
I could post some images here, but I won't, this is your tribute and I don't want to be treading on any toes.

Can't wait to see your next renders, all the best

LEGO DAVE

Old Posted Oct 26, 2006, 7:46 AM
Because I'm Clever!

^The WTC NIST reports have the needed plans, but here's the express elevators. Each cab had two doors, one on each end, so that while you enter from outside the core, you exit righinto the center of the building with the local elevators directly across from you.

Meanwhile, I'm starting over. Adding the concourse to the existing model has proven tricky, so I'm rebuilding the whole thing from scratch to make it jive. The towers are almost done, just have to redo the lowrises and attach them to the concourse. I'll probably keep most of the hotel as is.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
^The WTC NIST reports have the needed plans.
Can you be more specific (they have a lot of reports)?

Is there glass (tinted) between the mezzaine height and the roof, between the marble covered beams?

Could you see the lifts traverse up and down?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2006, 1:38 AM

DBL Post, Sorry

Last edited by pe668; Oct 27, 2006 at 4:01 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 4:43 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pe668
Can you be more specific (they have a lot of reports)?

Is there glass (tinted) between the mezzaine height and the roof, between the marble covered beams?

Could you see the lifts traverse up and down?
The space between the columns was mirror-polished stainless steel, as was the doors on the elevators.

And I believe the resport was NISTAR 1.1 or 1.7. I don't recall which, whenever I need the info I just click through them all until I find the one I need.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2006, 7:36 AM
Because I'm Clever!

First, an interesting comparison. Everyone remarks at the similarities between Chicago's Aon Center, and the late Twin Towers. While stylisticly similar, they are quite different. First, each of the New York landmarks were significantly larger than the Chicago one. Second, Aon has standard 5 foor wide windows, The Trade Center of course had its famed 20-inch wide panes.

These will be the last renders of the original Twin Tower models. All subsequent shots will be of the new versions, which will have some elements of the earlier attempt (like the core).

Here's the new model. I'm still working out the kinks in the material on the outside, but this is basically it. The lobby arches will look markedly superior to the original version, but are not done yet. The interior shots are from the 107th floor observation deck in Tower 2, while the second shot is from the 78th floor skylobby. The reflective part in that shot is the express elevator doors, while in front of them lies the local elevator lobby that served the 77th to roughly the 85th floor.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2006, 7:04 AM
Because I'm Clever!

This one is going to take a while, as it's twice as complicated as the first version, so I've divided it into steps. The Twin Towers are practically done, so I've taken to dividing the podium up into five parts, which will be done in order (roughly)

*6WTC and WFC North Bridge, connecting to the lobby of 1WTC. Will include WTC freight doors.
*5WTC, Vessey street entrances, the shops beneath building 5 and landscaping around the northern half of the uperblock, including in front of 1WTC.
*4WTC, Liberty Street entrances, shops beneath building 4 and landscaping on the southern half of the site, including around 2WTC.
*3WTC and its lobby and conference spaces, if I can find photos.
*7WTC if I can find interior photos.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2006, 7:34 AM
Because I'm Clever!

In case you're wondering why I'd completely replace 6WTC, just compare the last shot to the old version.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 3:46 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Work on the concourse continues.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 6:16 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Continuing work on 5WTC and adding the Plaza, the latter coming out just awesome if I do say so myself.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 6:53 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Wow, this new model is rediculously detailed. Are you going to make the interiors of every floor or something? Can't imagine the lag that must cause

Old Posted Nov 3, 2006, 7:13 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Well, it's only now starting to lag, but that disappears when I'm in wireframe mode. My concern is whether my machine has enough power to fit in Tower 7.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 1:29 AM

STR! This is fabulous! I've been working on a WTC model of my own in 3dsmax. I also used the NIST reports, and the large mall-floor plan you provided some time ago helped me align the buildings correctly. I started making the structural frame of the north tower (including the hat-truss which was a bitch), then I figured I make the hotel, and now I'm soon done with 6 and 5 aswell. The south tower is still just a representative box, 1362 feet high, and the north tower is still just structural steel, complete with core, elevator shafts, stairwells, hattruss and foundations. I'll post pics if someone are interested.

PS! One thing that bothers me about the lowrise buildings is the varying hights of the streetlevels around the complex. Between 4 and 5 it's lower than plaza level, but not as low as in front of WTC 2 and south of WTC 4. Do you have any good reference pics or plans?

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 4:47 AM

: (

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
And I believe the resport was NISTAR 1.1 or 1.7.
I still can't find anything useful.
Have you got a link to go with that STR?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 2:52 PM

Jeesus... That's impressive...

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 7:56 AM
Because I'm Clever!

This model is on hiatus until the end of my semester in a couple weeks. I'll see what work I can get done in the time after, but I'm putting long hours into ye olde crappy retail job.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2006, 6:58 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Semester's over. I'll be working on this one soon again.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2007, 5:04 PM

Can't wait! You have any updates yet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art