HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:16 PM
cities|transit|croissants

The major difference between MLS and MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL is that the latter four are each the top leagues in the world for their respective sport. MLS is nowhere near the top, progress or no progress. MLS is like the Korean baseball league, or the CFL. It is "professional" in the sense that players are hired and paid, but it is very far from the top of the profession. The world's best players do not gravitate to MLS; they gravitate elsewhere. At least until they are too old to work elsewhere and they come to MLS to retire.

As for eastidaho's speculation that the Pac is only egalitarian internally: Yes, that's right. "Within the conference" is what conferences exist for. Naturally that is what I meant, and what the Pac strives for. I find it comical that eastidaho would think "the Pac takes care of the Pac" to be an important revelation. Perhaps we have stumbled on Boise's problem - they don't understand how conferences work.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:31 PM

Quote:
I find it comical that eastidaho would think "the Pac takes care of the Pac" to be an important revelation.
Cirrus, please direct me to the smilies that will help you with my attempts at sarcasm and poking fun. You know what I meant. I understand that conferences exist to collectively produce a greater return financially for its members than going it alone. But to take a noble term like egalitarian and attach it to anything associated with college football seemed way over of the top -- and needed a little poke. Particularly when a more defining word is 'gang' with all its nefarious connotation.

Please tell me you didn't take that last comment too hard.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:41 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Egalitarian is a noble term? I associate egalitarianism with communism and its offshoots.

In the context of college football, it makes sense to me. A (functional) conference is somewhere between a family, a business, and a kibbutz. () But in most contexts, I would use the term with caution.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:42 PM
cities|transit|croissants

eastidaho, please direct yourself to my earlier post explaining that this is how rivalries are made. I'm talking trash at you because it's fun. I realize I didn't use a smiley, but even glorified community colleges like Boise should cover the concept of subtext.

Please note that I'm not explaining myself for your benefit. Boise is a lost cause. I'm explaining myself for the Utah guys' benefit, because I want to educate them so they can up their game and grow to become worthy rivals.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:49 PM

If Boise is a lost cause...what do you call Eric Bienemy's third down play calling?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 6:53 PM
of Gnomeregan

I thought the PAC-10 was for more than just Football... (for those universities who have students to populate and support other programs besides football that is).

While I was at UCLA they celebrated their 100th national championship... then their 101 and 102nd I think. I'm not even sure what sports they were in.. but they were obviously not Football.

I know the Big 10 has or used to have a committee on institutional cooporation or some such thing. This acted as a way to share research progress, library loans between institutions and a few other things - at least as it was explained by a friend at the time. I imagine other conferences do the same thing.

I have no problem saying Boise has a GREAT football program.

It's the lack of anything else to add after period following "program" that seems to be the trouble.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

bunt_q don't be a douche. MLS is STILL Pro. Just because it isn't as popular as the NFL or NBA. The MLS has come along ways since 1996. As for basketball the NBA will come back. Still beats what Boise has..........................NOTHING.

Someone needs an education or needs to do an online search. In Boise we have several semi pro teams: ice hockey, basketball, baseball and an all female team of rollery derby hotty chicks. Soccer is very popular here and the city hosts many regional and national tournaments. Take all of this and compare our metro size to your metro size and I would dare say Boise is more impressive in the team sporting category regardless if we have an NBA team or not. Add in a river we can play on right in the city and we most definitely have you beat

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:27 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Someone needs an education or needs to do an online search. In Boise we have several semi pro teams: ice hockey, basketball, baseball and an all female team of rollery derby hotty chicks. Soccer is very popular here and the city hosts many regional and national tournaments. Take all of this and compare our metro size to your metro size and I would dare say Boise is more impressive in the team sporting category regardless if we have an NBA team or not. Add in a river we can play on right in the city and we most definitely have you beat
Oh dear. If we're measuring this in terms of subjective sporting awesomeness (at all levels) per capita, then we all lose. Because Pueblo has CSU-P, which beats us all by that measure. They are the standard by which all football programs (that nobody's ever heard of) are measured.

Roller derby... ghaaahhh.

College hockey trumps semi-pro beer league hockey, by the way, if you're wondering.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:28 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
College hockey trumps semi-pro beer league hockey, by the way, if you're wondering.
That's right.. and that's why Colorado Springs is better than Boise

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:30 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainpathology View Post
That's right.. and that's why Colorado Springs is better than Boise
Damn straight.

Hey, are you planning to go down for any CC games while you're in the area? If you are, we should get a drink.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Oh dear. If we're measuring this in terms of subjective sporting awesomeness (at all levels) per capita, then we all lose. Because Pueblo has CSU-P, which beats us all by that measure. They are the standard by which all football programs (that nobody's ever heard of) are measured.

Roller derby... ghaaahhh.
I forgot about Pueblo...damn. I only referenced Roller Derby because of who I was responding back to and his persistant naieve posts
Colorado Springs and SLC can get married, they are both way too religious.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:31 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Damn straight.

Hey, are you planning to go down for any CC games while you're in the area? If you are, we should get a drink.
Hadn't thought of it... if I go to one it would probably be here against DU. Do you go to the COS games? You're not living down there are you???

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:32 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Hadn't thought of it... if I go to one it would probably be here against DU. Do you go to the COS games? You're not living down there are you???
I go to some of them, but no, I drive down. Family still has the CC season tickets, so I go when I have time.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:34 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Colorado Springs and SLC can get married, they are both way too religious.
So many things I can say, questions I could ask, about that image... yikes.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
So many things I can say, questions I could ask, about that image... yikes.
Meaning as how they would copulate?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:41 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
I go to some of them, but no, I drive down. Family still has the CC season tickets, so I go when I have time.
ah well if I get a chance to go I'll let you know. I confess I have no idea how well they are expected to do this year. I know they will all graduate from CC eventually so they are all extraordinary, almost inhuman winners anyway :-P

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:43 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
You're the one who needs the education. We have plenty of semi pro teams also.....Utah bees, Utah blaze, Utah flash, Utah grizzlies, Utah warriors, ect. Plus our pro teams. Yes MLS is pro like it or not you soccer haters. Dont try to be cute and tell about your semi pro teams that we also have you beat. Fact is Boise needs to get off their high horse. Just because you guys play crappy teams who some high schools can also beat doesnt make BSU football the best team in the country. Boise is not the shit. You guys are in the WAC........yawn.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
You're the one who needs the education. We have plenty of semi pro teams also.....Utah bees, Utah blaze, Utah flash, Utah grizzlies, Utah warriors, ect. Plus our pro teams. Yes MLS is pro like it or not you soccer haters. Dont try to be cute and tell about your semi pro teams that we also have you beat. Fact is Boise needs to get off their high horse. Just because you guys play crappy teams who some high schools can also beat doesnt make BSU football the best team in the country. Boise is not the shit. You guys are in the WAC........yawn.

Who said we hated soccer? Boise hearts soccer.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:49 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
ah well if I get a chance to go I'll let you know. I confess I have no idea how well they are expected to do this year. I know they will all graduate from CC eventually so they are all extraordinary, almost inhuman winners anyway :-P
Supposed to finish at or near the top of the WCHA (1st in one poll, 3rd in the coaches poll I think), and they started the season ranked 7th in the country. Expectations are very high this year.

They've got one of the best forwards in the country (a sophomore), but they better win this year because it's, oh, 99% certain he'll head to the NHL next year. He's extraordinary too, but not because he's ever going to graduate.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2011, 7:53 PM

Population, number of pro teams, mass transit....etc. What is the Vegas line on a Northwestern and UCLA matchup in the National Title game this year?

In other news, Houston is annexing Sugar Land, Rosenburg, Baytown, Channelview, and Kingwood so they can ensure their beloved Houston Cougars play for the National Title game in 2013.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West