HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 4:17 PM

You guys are starting to sound like NIMBYs with all this criticism.

There's bound to be an architecturally pitiful development among the amazing towers going up in NYC these days. As long as it is better and a more efficient use of space than what was there before it, it will contribute to the urbanism of the city.

I won't defend the uninspired architecture of the building. But a tall building is a tall building after all, and asking for something tall to be torn down is simply the opposite of progress and development.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 9:33 PM

I agree, it’s not a big deal, it’s just another 400 footer, it’s a filler, it’ll get lost in the sea of buildings in NYC and add to the bulk of background buildings to contrast supertalls or the overall skyline from different angles.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 9:59 PM

This is absolute garbage, and an insult to the city.

I fail to understand how anyone can defend this junk. It's the equivalent of saying, "Oh, John got a crooked bowl cut that looks like something off a demented 6-year-old, but at least his hair no longer goes over his ears." This is an architecture forum, not a "trash NYC as long as the net average height of our buildings ends up slightly taller" forum, isn't it?

My interest is in the city's built environment being as high quality and innovative as possible. This turd would look like a housing project even in the outskirts of a Central Asian former Soviet republic.

As Jay Sherman would say: "It stinks!"

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinAWestLife View Post
You guys are starting to sound like NIMBYs with all this criticism.

There's bound to be an architecturally pitiful development among the amazing towers going up in NYC these days. As long as it is better and a more efficient use of space than what was there before it, it will contribute to the urbanism of the city.

I won't defend the uninspired architecture of the building. But a tall building is a tall building after all, and asking for something tall to be torn down is simply the opposite of progress and development.
I call it how I see it. Net negative in my opinion all things considered.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantSwan View Post
I call it how I see it. Net negative in my opinion all things considered.
I'll never understand this mindset. How is a parking lot replaced by a 450-ft tall hotel tower, with street level retail, and without a single parking spot, a "net negative", from an urbanist standpoint?

Even if it were constructed from literal shit, it would be a billion times better than a parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 1:25 AM
Show me the blueprints

I suppose its a potential vs. squander situation.

The parking lot promises the hope of a top notch project to replace it while this example proves to pop that balloon of hope metaphorically speaking. There are some that will say that anything is better than a parking lot, but when a project of this scale fails to impress and is deservingly despised, well we just have to live with it, unlike say an early 90s 2 story duplex placeholder in the South Bronx on the site of a burned down 6 story walk up from the previous devade that will inevitably be replaced with something better as the neighborhood ascends.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 3:22 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken today.

140 West 28th Street - 03-20-2021 - 1 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 11:21 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 1:57 AM

Oh god! My eyes!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 11:01 AM

This is just soul-killing.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 1:38 PM

This look like the backside of a building. Or the side adjacent to another building that no one will ever see because it will be covered.
Except its not.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2021, 2:36 PM

Interesting. I never thought I would see a building like this go up in my lifetime, especially in Manhattan!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 10:04 AM

Can this thing be demo'ed before it's occupied?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:30 PM

Didn’t even bother with a screen to hide the water tanks.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
Didn’t even bother with a screen to hide the water tanks.
Those are the most distinctive architectural features on this POS.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 5:23 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

46-Story Dual-Brand Marriott Opens At 140 West 28th Street In Chelsea, Manhattan

Quote:
Construction is complete and occupancy has begun at 140 West 28th Street, a 46-story dual-brand Marriott Hotel tower in Chelsea. Designed by Gene Kaufman Architect and developed by Sam Chang of the McSam Hotel Group, the 470-foot-tall tower yields 173,000 square feet and 531 guest rooms split between a 284-room Springhill Suites and a 247-room Townplace Suites. Omnibuild served as the general contractor for the project, which is located between Sixth and Seventh Avenues in the Flower District of Midtown, Manhattan.

Since our last update in October, the all finishing touches have concluded and the sidewalk barriers have been removed. The entryway along West 28th Street is protected by a high ceiling with a set of skylights that enable visitors to look up at the hotel tower. Through revolving doors is the main lobby, which is decorated with bold colorful patterns.

The building can be spotted from a considerable distance and is distinguished with its simple rectangular massing and symmetrical grid of windows on the northern and southern elevations. The top three levels are clad in much darker paneling, and the tower is capped with a mechanical bulkhead topped with two wooden water towers. Guests looking south will get views of Lower Manhattan, while those facing north can see the Empire State Building and the rest of the Midtown skyline.

The pet-friendly hotel includes a 232-square-foot meeting room, on-site laundry facilities, and a fitness center. 140 West 28th Street is located near a number of subways including the local 1 train to the west at the 28 Street Station along Seventh Avenue, as well as the local R and W trains at the 28 Street Station a little further to the east at the intersection with Broadway.
=================
NYY

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive