HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Mar 10, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I don't have an AJC subscription. Was there any new information provided on these projects in the links below?

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...AHWVHWRBMVONY/

https://www.ajc.com/neighborhoods/at...EULKLSKDNA3CM/

Not really anything new except Marta yielding to political pressure to spend $300 million in southwest Atlanta (rather spending our tax dollars in a way that results in the most effective transit). The transit on the corridor will still be BRT.

On Summerhill they have a timeline. I don't know if this is new information.

Quote:
MARTA is finishing the final design for the project and will begin construction next year. The line would open in 2025.
The buses would run every 10 minutes at rush hour and every 15 minutes at other times. It would take 12 to 15 minutes to travel from one end of the route to the other.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 2:14 AM

Thanks for the info. I still don't know how to feel about BRT on Campbellton

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 2:57 PM

Not quite transit, but wasn't sure where else to put this. Good news from Alex Wan:

Monroe Complete Streets Project
Construction on Phase I of the Monroe Complete Streets Project should begin this summer.

The entire project will be implemented in three phases. Phase I will specifically address the intersection of 10th and Monroe. Phase II is the stretch south of the intersection, and Phase III will be Monore from 10th St NE north up to the GDOT work that is underway at Armour Dr NE.

ATLDOT engineers are recommending making 10th and Monroe a raised intersection similar to a raised intersection found in downtown Decatur. The plan has obtained safety approvals from the Fire Department. My office has received word from ATLDOT that a final plan review for Phase I of the project is scheduled for this month. Once the plans are complete, ATLDOT will submit a package to the Department of Procurement for the fastest procurement process to get the contractor out there to begin work. The goal is to have construction begin once school is out this summer.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Not quite transit, but wasn't sure where else to put this. Good news from Alex Wan:

Monroe Complete Streets Project
Construction on Phase I of the Monroe Complete Streets Project should begin this summer.

The entire project will be implemented in three phases. Phase I will specifically address the intersection of 10th and Monroe. Phase II is the stretch south of the intersection, and Phase III will be Monore from 10th St NE north up to the GDOT work that is underway at Armour Dr NE.

ATLDOT engineers are recommending making 10th and Monroe a raised intersection similar to a raised intersection found in downtown Decatur. The plan has obtained safety approvals from the Fire Department. My office has received word from ATLDOT that a final plan review for Phase I of the project is scheduled for this month. Once the plans are complete, ATLDOT will submit a package to the Department of Procurement for the fastest procurement process to get the contractor out there to begin work. The goal is to have construction begin once school is out this summer.
Not aligning 10th and Virginia is such a missed opportunity. A raised table is nice, but without intersection realignment, that stretch of Monroe between 8th and 10th will always remain a dangerous area for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clexmond View Post
Not aligning 10th and Virginia is such a missed opportunity. A raised table is nice, but without intersection realignment, that stretch of Monroe between 8th and 10th will always remain a dangerous area for pedestrians, cyclists and drivers.
Yes, a new Virginia ave bridge would have solved the space issue facing the ‘future’ Beltline transit. I guess money is an issue as usual. I’m sure the VA highlands NIMBY crowd would hate fixing this intersection as they would spin it into being a ‘speedway of cars straight into VAHA’ and people would die because of this. They might also call for preserving that hot dog shack restaurant that sits on that triangle shaped lot.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
Yes, a new Virginia ave bridge would have solved the space issue facing the ‘future’ Beltline transit. I guess money is an issue as usual. I’m sure the VA highlands NIMBY crowd would hate fixing this intersection as they would spin it into being a ‘speedway of cars straight into VAHA’ and people would die because of this. They might also call for preserving that hot dog shack restaurant that sits on that triangle shaped lot.
Woody's is worth saving IMO, but I really wouldn't mind if it moved into a nearby building or the base of a new tower.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 7:41 PM

Woody's isn't in the way, it's the strip mall, and potentially the self storage facility. To really fix this area it will take some significant money, since it's a complicated intersection where two major roads, a cycle track, a major pedestrian/bike path, and a light rail corridor all come together on a site with a big grade change. But starting with pedestrian/bike prioritization with a raised intersection sounds great to me.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2022, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Woody's isn't in the way, it's the strip mall, and potentially the self storage facility. To really fix this area it will take some significant money, since it's a complicated intersection where two major roads, a cycle track, a major pedestrian/bike path, and a light rail corridor all come together on a site with a big grade change. But starting with pedestrian/bike prioritization with a raised intersection sounds great to me.
This is Atlanta's #1 Pedestrian-Traffic Clusterfuck in the entire city, IMHO. And Woody's ain't nothing special, but I did eat one of their cheesesteaks in Piedmont park a couple of week ago.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Not really anything new except Marta yielding to political pressure to spend $300 million in southwest Atlanta (rather spending our tax dollars in a way that results in the most effective transit). The transit on the corridor will still be BRT.

People in that Community have paid for Marta expansions in other parts of the city for decades! I would be putting pressure on the politicians as well

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUSOM View Post
People in that Community have paid for Marta expansions in other parts of the city for decades! I would be putting pressure on the politicians as well
So have residents of every other community in Fulton and Dekalb. That is simly the nature of public projects. But to plan a public investment based on a dollar amount rather than the infrastructure itself is NOT the way to plan effective infrastructure and an example of why it is so hard to get anything done around here.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post

It's not much different than when the rail lines were originally built. There's no reason for the Green line to exist at all other than political pressure to appease the black community. [1] [2] [3]

Ridership at Bankhead station has never been on par with the rest of the system. It was a waste of limited resources to build this spur, yet here we are. Cambleton Road and Southwest Atlanta want MARTA to spend more of their limited resources on the area when it can't support the amount of transit it has today.

Like it or not, transit needs to be built where there's a high concentration of people and jobs, and that area is not south Atlanta. (For what its worth, it's not most of Atlanta including Buckhead either. It's not a race thing, it's a concentration of the built environment thing)

There's no reason to spend $300M when $120M can achieve the same end result. Let the rest of the money go elsewhere and get more bang for the buck.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newuserbuckhead View Post
Ridership at Bankhead station has never been on par with the rest of the system. It was a waste of limited resources to build this spur, yet here we are. Cambleton Road and Southwest Atlanta want MARTA to spend more of their limited resources on the area when it can't support the amount of transit it has today.
The Bankhead spur and green line absolutely made sense at the time. There was a high density of people without cars in the neighborhood, and it was built specifically to be expanded to the northwest as the Proctor Creek line. As for current ridership, of course it's not going to compare to the airport or five points, but it's not bad. Weekday boardings are actually higher at Bankhead than at Edgewood/Candler Park, Medical Center, King Memorial, Ashby, East Lake, Garnett, West Lake, and Vine City.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 3:05 AM

Quote:
It's not much different than when the rail lines were originally built. There's no reason for the Green line to exist at all other than political pressure to appease the black community. [1] [2] [3]

Like it or not, transit needs to be built where there's a high concentration of people and jobs, and that area is not south Atlanta. (For what its worth, it's not most of Atlanta including Buckhead either. It's not a race thing, it's a concentration of the built environment thing).

There's no reason to spend $300M when $120M can achieve the same end result. Let the rest of the money go elsewhere and get more bang for the buck.
[1] America has been appeasing white people since before 1776 and it continues today, unabated. Prove me wrong... and Cobb County was a bastion of racial suppression and refused to join MARTA, which would have extended the Green line northwestward to Cobb. I suggest you read a history book that has not been stripped of Critical Race Theory and the racial animus imbedded in America.

[2] The built environment is predicated on location, location, location, which means: wherever whites want to live, work and play, the land values will support their desires accordingly. Think gentrification if you can't read between the lines.

[3] Sounds like the playbook from corporate America and "White rule or anarchy": less money for those people, and more money for shiny-ass Buckhead (otherwise we take our marbles and secede).

Your Jim Crow ideas are DOA. Get another gig.

Last edited by ATLMidcity; Mar 24, 2022 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
[1] America has been appeasing white people since before 1776 and it continues today, unabated. Prove me wrong... and Cobb County was a bastion of racial suppression and refused to join MARTA, which would have extended the Green line northwestward to Cobb. I suggest you read a history book that has not been stripped of Critical Race Theory and the racial animus imbedded in America.

[2] The built environment is predicated on location, location, location, which means: wherever whites want to live, work and play, the land values will support their desires accordingly. Think gentrification if you can't read between the lines.

[3] Sounds like the playbook from corporate America and "White rule or anarchy": less money for those people, and more money for shiny-ass Buckhead (otherwise we take our marbles and secede).

Your Jim Crow ideas are DOA. Get another gig.
I would further add that Campbellton Road has one of the largest concentrations of households without car access in the entire Southeast. Transit-oriented populations matter as much, if not more, than density. At the end of the day, it's the number of likely transit trips generated along the route that matters.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:

Like it or not, transit needs to be built where there's a high concentration of people and jobs, and that area is not south Atlanta. (For what its worth, it's not most of Atlanta including Buckhead either. It's not a race thing, it's a concentration of the built environment thing)

The reason this spur down Cambellton was selected was because the current bus route was one of the busiest in the city. The selection as the original LRT wasn’t to do with “appeasing black people” but trying to make the best transit decision.

The decision to move to BRT instead of LRT wasn’t because BRT is a more efficient system in terms of moving people but because it’s cheaper. That’s it. And that will literally be the case in every part of the city to be used instead of LRT. It will always be cheaper, whether that’s going to Cambellton, going to CDC/Emory, or going anywhere else in the city.

Personally, I’m skeptical of BRT. It can be done correctly, but I’m not convinced that it will be. We also have bike lanes in the city that are constantly being parked in and travelled in by non-bikes. We have bus lanes at Atlantic Station that are basically ignored. So (especially as a resident of southwest Atlanta) I personally think if this extra money goes into making sure that the BRT is done correctly and has all of the features needed to make sure that it isn’t just completely ignored, that’s money well spent, and not just “appeasing the black community,” which is, and this is me significantly tempering what I say, extremely misguided, but trying to invest in areas based on need and not just what is desired by the highest tax payers.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 8:10 PM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapunkskatedude View Post
Fire the leadership. We voted for a tax increase years ago for rail expansion. Nothing. MARTA is required to allocate a percentage of its budget to expansion. Nothing.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 11:49 AM

They've have decades to consider BRT. This has been studied to death already.

I cannot stand this region when it comes to transit

Old Posted Mar 31, 2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
Fire the leadership. We voted for a tax increase years ago for rail expansion. Nothing. MARTA is required to allocate a percentage of its budget to expansion. Nothing.
They're stealing the money. Corruption in this state is absolutely disgusting.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2022, 10:40 PM

Has anyone used Marta's reach on-demand service. I'm curious about how it's working.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta