HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

View Poll Results: In the next...
5 years 5 14.71%
10 years 12 35.29%
15 years 7 20.59%
20 years 3 8.82%
Never 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:52 PM

New tallest for Atlanta

With all the new development within the city limits over the past decade and proposed, do you think Atlanta will see a new tallest actually built?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:57 PM

I'm honestly not too pressed for a new tallest tbh. I'm much more interested in the infill. Atlanta's skyline is finally starting to look mature and cohesive. Although a new tallest would certainly be nice!

To answer the question, I think so long as the economy continues to recover from COVID-19 and there are no more surprises I'll say 3-5 years.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden View Post
I'm honestly not too pressed for a new tallest tbh. I'm much more interested in the infill. Atlanta's skyline is finally starting to look mature and cohesive. Although a new tallest would certainly be nice!

To answer the question, I think so long as the economy continues to recover from COVID-19 and there are no more surprises I'll say 3-5 years.
Damn you're fast.

The infill is making the city streets really come alive. I frequently ride my bike through Midtown, downtown, west Midtown and along the beltline. The city feels so much more alive and built out than just 5 years ago. Once COVID-19 has been curtailed, the city should feel much more pedestrian.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Damn you're fast.

The infill is making the city streets really come alive. I frequently ride my bike through Midtown, downtown, west Midtown and along the beltline. The city feels so much more alive and built out than just 5 years ago. Once COVID-19 has been curtailed, the city should feel mhore pedestrian.

Yeah, things are slowly starting to become more lively with vaccine progression.

I'm a Georgia native (grew up in the northern suburbs) but lived in JC/NYC for several years so I was a bit spoiled with that immersive urban experience. But Atlanta has come a LONG way even within the last 10 years.

It may not be on the level of the northern giants but it's making massive strides to establish a true urban core.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 4:30 AM

I don't think, during this era, that it will happen. It seems like right now, there's a lot less risk being taken. New buildings don't even have the type of ornamentation they did in the 90s. And with the issue of increasing income inequality, there's much less of a communal pride for these types of projects than there used to be. When "a rising tide lifts all boats" is a promise that's kept, you see more public support for these sorts of things— with the current economic situation, gentrification, jobs going overseas, half of the country out working during the pandemic while the other half gets waited on hand-and-foot... there seems to be more opposition because not everyone is benefitting.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 7:17 PM

if the freeway caps start happening, i think land values will skyrocket - a lot of people will likely want to be next to such an amenity and that could be the catalyst. otherwise, i think we'll continue to see the same steady growth.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 2:03 AM

Seems like the naysayers believe Atlanta will never build anything taller than the BOA tower.

I disagree simply because when Charlotte builds a banking tower taller than our BOA, all hell will brake loose...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
Seems like the naysayers believe Atlanta will never build anything taller than the BOA tower.

I disagree simply because when Charlotte builds a banking tower taller than our BOA, all hell will brake loose...
Does't the FAA limit building tops to not exceeding 2,000 ft above mean sea level in Downtown and Midtown? Grade is between 950 an 1000 ft above mean sea level on those areas.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus View Post
Does't the FAA limit building tops to not exceeding 2,000 ft above mean sea level in Downtown and Midtown? Grade is between 950 an 1000 ft above mean sea level on those areas.
Based on the wiki page for height restrictions laws there is a "reputable presumption" from the FAA and FCC not to build an antenna more than 2,000 feet above ground level. Now it is widely believed that that is not a hard limit and a tower looking to go taller could get permission from the FAA. I don't think we will see that in Atlanta for a long time, but you never know.

As for the topic of this thread, I doubt we see anything taller than BOA in the next 10 years. We just aren't seeing the same building practices that we saw when the giants were built.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyslam View Post
Based on the wiki page for height restrictions laws there is a "reputable presumption" from the FAA and FCC not to build an antenna more than 2,000 feet above ground level. Now it is widely believed that that is not a hard limit and a tower looking to go taller could get permission from the FAA.

Must not be a hard limit.. The elevation at BoA is 1020ft... BoA is 1023ft at the tip

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:37 PM

Proposed Atlanta Tower

Last edited by zigzag; Dec 11, 2021 at 3:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:54 PM

“RitaWorld Pearl Kingdom leader says project will be officially proposed soon, in development next year“

This is nothing. Rita World was a joke and this new tower “proposal” won’t come to fruition.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/2/6/...-pearl-kingdom

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:05 PM

Let. It. Go.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 4:43 PM

New super tall

I can’t believe people actually think this is a serious proposal

Old Posted Dec 12, 2021, 1:10 AM

Lol seriously this is such BS - last thing we need is people actually thinking that "proposal" is in any way legit - it's also hideous

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 7:14 AM

It's been nearly a year since this poll was conducted.
This poll is evenly split amongst the 34 voters.
17 voters think it will be under 15 years before Atlanta builds a new tallest, and
17 voters think it will be 15 years or longer.

Deadlocked yet again.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta