Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 4:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
That song is actually "(Don't Go Back to) Rockville."

And yes, great pics!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 4:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Canada needs more Brockvilles. We are relatively bereft of the large stock of charming towns found in the Eastern United States.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 2:32 AM

Reykjavík, Iceland: Vesturbær

Vesturbær (West Town) is a neighborhood west of Miðbær, the city center of Reykjavík. The neighborhood is located west of Garðastræti and north of Hringbraut.

Vesturbær was the western edge of development in Reykjavík, after the original city center was developed. It was a higher-income neighborhood, and very desirable among residents. The neighborhood was settled in the late 1890s, with most development taking place in the early 1900s.

After houses were built, institutions like schools, churches, and hospitals were built to serve the growing population as it creeped west from Reykjavík's city center.

By 1936, development continued on past Hringbraut onto land southwest of Vesturbær and Miðbær. This new neighborhood, Norðurmýri, was more functionalist and hommogeneous than Vesturbær, and appealed to the middle class.

Landakotskirkja, on Túngata (Grassfields Street).

The cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Reykjavík. The neo-Gothic cathedral features concrete imitations of columnar basalt formations.

The church was designed by Guðjón Samúelsson, and was completed in 1929.

Landspítali (University Hospital), on Túngata. The hospital was built in 1930, and is now the Landakotsspítali (Memory Clinic).

A house on Hrannarstígur, built in 1928.

A house on Garðastræti (Garden Street), now used as the Embassy of India.

Houses on Ránargata.

A house on Ægisgata.

A house on Hofsvallagata.

Houses on Marargata.

A house on Öldugata.

A house on Stýrimannastígur (Driver's Lane), built in 1906.

A house on Stýrimannastígur.

A house on Ægisgata.

A house on Ægisgata.

Houses on Ránargata.

A house on Bárugata.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2021, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

Hehe.

I'll admit, when I saw the title of this thread, that song did enter my mind, with me singing it in my head as "Don't go back to Brockville."

I used to be a huge REM fan. I started not liking them when "Losing My Religion" got WAAAY too much airplay and you heard it everywhere, including at supermarkets. And then by the time the "Automatic For the People" album came out, they had gotten too mainstream (people not in the know talked about them as if "Losing My Religion" was the very first REM song they heard), and I didn't like them anymore---though I did go to one of their concerts in 1994 at was was then called The Pond in Anaheim (now Honda Center).

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos