HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 6:49 AM

Would You Rent An Apartment Without A Kitchen?

I was just reading an article in the most recent The Economist on the proliferation of online food/eateries. In the article, in China, it was reported that a number of Milennial Chinese have no use for a kitchen, they order all their food online, and would rent an apartment without a kitchen. Just a refrigerator and Microwave.

Yes, I've know a number of people who so hate to cook, they've never used their stove.

So, perhaps the day is coming when apartment buildings will offer kitchen-free apartments and those with kitchens? And won't that also reduce the cost of construction?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 8:04 AM
Ex Houstonian

If I could save a ton of money on rent than yes, all I need is a microwave and a plug in electric stove, which exists. Guess I could buy a mini fridge as well.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 12:55 PM

I'd say a very high % of NYC apartments have minimal kitchens.

I had no need for a kitchen for about 10 years. Didn't cook an in-apartment meal once.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:19 PM

After I was out of college I initially cooked maybe twice a week. Usually if I was by myself I'd just cook poor-man's stir fry for myself. If I had a guest over (a friend or a date) I might want to fix a meal for them. I could have gotten by with a hot plate though (I did get by without one when I was doing a kitchen renovation in my late 20s), because I don't think I cracked the oven itself open once for years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:21 PM
The City

As a landlord I would love to have kitchen free apartments. Less broken appliances that I have to fix.

If we really want to create affordable rentals in our cities then we should move away from hare-brained and punitive property-takings like Rent Control and get more creative.

Have tenants provide their own appliances and maintain them. Hell, probably one of the biggest expenses I have right now is appliance repair/replacement. Appliances these days are built so cheaply in overseas slave labor markets that you’re lucky if they last 5 years without giving you problems.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 1:50 PM

no

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:08 PM

This is not unusual in Manhattan.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:09 PM
IWant2BeInSTL

^^ gonna second the "no".

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:13 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

These certainly exist in Boston (or places with just a hot plate). Plenty of people could survive with just a microwave and fridge though.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:32 PM

Absolutely not.

And the kitchen is the first thing I will re-do and expand in any property I buy.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:32 PM
Me?!?

I love to cook and eat out only 1-2 times per week (if that) so no. My current kitchen is very small and on many days I wish for something bigger, even if just a tad.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Have tenants provide their own appliances and maintain them. Hell, probably one of the biggest expenses I have right now is appliance repair/replacement. Appliances these days are built so cheaply in overseas slave labor markets that you’re lucky if they last 5 years without giving you problems.
That is how it works in Japan and many European markets. You take your appliances with you when you move, even as a renter.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:20 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

This would be a public health and social disaster. Poor people spending all their money on unhealthy fast food because they can’t cook at home. Just NO. We need to encourage cooking at home as a way of combatting obesity and getting people to save money.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
This would be a public health and social disaster. Poor people spending all their money on unhealthy fast food because they can’t cook at home. Just NO. We need to encourage cooking at home as a way of combatting obesity and getting people to save money.
This.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I love to cook, try out new recipes, but I could make do with a Slow Cooker, microwave and a refrigerator.

I once worked with a Secretary (who I deem very Anal) who bought a new house and hadn't used the stove or oven for the 3 years she had it. She said she hated cleaning up messes, so no cooking.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:23 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Absolutely not. Both my husband and I cook and bake and we're good at it. As much as I love eating out, I'd flip out if I didn't have the means to make saag paneer, ramen, ceviche, poppyseed chicken, or any other damn thing I want, whenever I want it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 4:58 PM

i rarely use the dishwasher and oven, i just hand clean dishes and use my toaster oven. i cook with post and pans a lot so id have to have something to use for that, i also have a rice cooker. the kitchen is usually in a area where theres not much light so its not like your taking away the best part of your living space.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:04 PM
sick transit, gloria

I love eating out, but could not live without a kitchen. I don’t currently have a microwave or dishwasher but a range (ideally gas, but can live without) and full size fridge are a necessity for me. There are lots of cheap food options in my neighbourhood but it’s still cheaper and healthier to make food at home. Plus I just enjoy cooking. I’ll admit that I did a lot less cooking before moving in with my fiancé though!

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
These certainly exist in Boston (or places with just a hot plate). Plenty of people could survive with just a microwave and fridge though.
Keyword being 'survive' here. It's not a type of place most people would want to live for more than a year or two.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 7:53 PM
Never Dell

I did it for four months once, living in a hotel. Just a small fridge and sink. It worked because I lived in a neighborhood full of takeout, coffee shops, restaurants, and groceries and I could deal with food in a few minutes as needed.

It's common in Seattle for micro units to have very minimal kitchens. They can handle cooking for one person very easily. The main trade-off would be limited ability to cook for groups.

I agree with the point that less/no kitchen would make healthy eating harder in many cases, and it would make someone reliant on pre-made food.

But also it's true that enormous cost would be saved.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions