HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Oct 13, 2015, 3:46 PM
hi

This article (from last week) talks about several WMF projects, including this one:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...city-committee

Quote:
WM Fares Architects is also working on another downtown project at the corner of South and Hollis streets on behalf of Galaxy Properties.

Work on the seven-floor, 63-unit complex is expected to start in the next month, he said.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 5:05 PM

I didn't get a pic, but construction fence is up on this site and an excavator has already pulled down the back half of the old Taj building.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 6:05 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I think this is a decent proposal but a huge amount of character has been lost in this area over the past couple of decades. Not only were there the brick rowhouses here but there were also several old brick institutional buildings nearby. The 90's-style wood frame apartment/condo at Barrington and South was an office building that I think hosted naval command operations in WWII. There was also the YWCA on Barrington, which was a small brick building with Art Deco ornamentation. W Suites is there now.

(photo by me in 2001)

Closer toward downtown there were also buildings like the old MT&T office on Hollis and then the 5 storey brick buildings on Sackville Street. A lot has been lost around the southern edge of downtown.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2015, 6:17 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post

Fares Group will hold an open house on December 17 (at the Westin, 7-9 p.m.) to unveil the plans for their mixed commercial/residential (rental) complex at the corner of Hollis and South Street.

Pending approvals, Fares says they want to break ground next summer.

I particularly like this rendering, putting the complex in context of the adjacent Westin Hotel/Via Station.

I think this development fits this corner well and should bring new life to the neighbourhood.

http://www.wmfares.com/#!southhollis/c1y2p
I like the overall scale and design of the project but I hate the drab-looking colour scheme.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:08 PM

All gone.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:44 PM

Wow! For some reason it didn't occur to me that they were taking the whole building down (don't know why it didn't occur to me, I should have figured it out). I thought they were just taking down the addition in the rear.

It's too bad in a way, because if you stripped off the add-on to the façade for the restaurant, it was very similar to the buildings that were lost in the fire over five years ago.

Not surprised, really, as we all know there is little regard for heritage in the development world, but it is a bit of a loss unfortunately.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.64017...8i6656!6m1!1e1

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...-fire-1.874934

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 12:42 PM

The hole in the ground for this one is getting bigger.

Also, I was walking past the The Southampton yesterday and they seem to be setting up a sales office for this one in the space formerly occupied by Second Hand Rose.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
The hole in the ground for this one is getting bigger.

Also, I was walking past the The Southampton yesterday and they seem to be setting up a sales office for this one in the space formerly occupied by Second Hand Rose.
A sales office? I thought this was going to be apartments?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
A sales office? I thought this was going to be apartments?
Hmm. Maybe just a rental office? Or maybe it's going to be their construction office? The Second Hand Rose retail space has been stripped back to bare concrete and walls and the displays for South and Hollis are up in the window.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 4:52 PM

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 8:02 PM

According to a municipal news release the sidewalks and parking adjacent to this development are now closed with a planned reopening date of August 31st.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 3:35 PM

A proper construction fence was being installed yesterday.

Work has finally started on the upgrades to Cornwallis park as well.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 1:06 PM
Steven Courchene

updating the park how? what are the plans for the park

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 3:17 PM

All I know is that if Mason has his way, someone better hire bodyguards for the Cornwallis statue.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:30 AM

The park is being redone in 3 phases I believe. The first is a new and larger playground and a small amphitheatre on the bend of Hollis St. which is what the work has started on.

"The key features of the plan include:

Formal Park in the northern section of the site: preserve the original layout of the central promenade, diagonal pathways and plaza space around the Cornwallis sculpture. Provide a higher quality of materials, lighting, park amenities and landscaping, with more open, flexible hard surface paving that can host a variety of public activities.
Widen the sidewalk along Hollis Street for food vending and sidewalk activities
Develop an elliptical path that unifies the circulation, introduces more seating along the edges, and begins to organize future commemorative elements and public art pieces from various cultural groups (as started with the Ukrainian Immigrants Vytaiemo Memorial)
Special Event area – re-grade the former playground area in the southeast corner to create an amphitheater with terraced lawn seating and hard surface paving for a small scale performance area. This space is to be flexible and multifunctional for events and also be enjoyed for more passive activities on a daily basis.
Playground – develop a themed playground that fits with the aesthetics of the urban park and heritage area, and offers unique play experiences."

https://www.halifaxexaminer.ca/featu...tember-3-2015/

Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 1:18 PM
Steven Courchene

AWESOME!!!!! thanks a lot. cant wait as right now its not much use or used as a public space.

Steven Courchene

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 11:05 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Great to finally see something happening with this project! I was at the bus station there in 2013 and that area was so drab because of the gravel lot. A blight to any city.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 2:48 PM

The park upgrades are long-overdue and will be a nice addition to the neighbourhood, along with this project and Southport.

Edit:
Found this archives pic from a 1931 flyover of the area. Thought some might find it interesting.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/mccul...ives.asp?ID=80

Last edited by OldDartmouthMark; Mar 7, 2016 at 7:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
The park upgrades are long-overdue and will be a nice addition to the neighbourhood, along with this project and Southport.

Edit:
Found this archives pic from a 1931 flyover of the area. Thought some might find it interesting.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/mccul...ives.asp?ID=80
Cool pic! It's too bad that the train platforms aren't still covered like they were back then. I guess we can't complain too much about the Super Store lot... it looks like it's always been a big empty parking lot!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Cool pic! It's too bad that the train platforms aren't still covered like they were back then. I guess we can't complain too much about the Super Store lot... it looks like it's always been a big empty parking lot!
I didn't want to say anything about the parking lot, but yeah, that's what I thought when I noticed this area in the blown-up pic...

The covered train platforms were a nice feature. There also appears to be an elevated walkway from the ocean-side passenger terminal into the train terminal.

There's a view from the water side over in the Old Halifax thread:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...75#post7362075

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth