HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
and NYC automatically becomes a "great lakes city".
And Cairo, Illinois welcomes NYC to the club.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:34 PM

This reminds me, people in California refer to anything east of the Mississippi as the East Coast.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
and NYC and philly automatically become "great lakes cities".

what?

the state thing is dumb.
NYC has stronger ties to the Great Lakes than the other East Coast northeast corridor cities.

I think this semantic argument is dumb, btw. We are intelligent beings that can use context clues to understand when someone is saying "east coast" as shorthand for the eastern third of the U.S., or when someone is using it to mean the literal eastern coast of North America. Is Tampa not East Coast because it's on the Gulf of Mexico? Is it East Coast because it is technically a coastal city on the Atlantic Ocean? If so, do Houston and New Orleans count as East Coast?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
This reminds me, people in California refer to anything east of the Mississippi as the East Coast.
Yes, exactly. I hear it in L.A. a lot. Doesn't matter if you're flying to Atlanta, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit, it's all "east coast" to them.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I don't necessarily know where to draw the line, but agree that consistency is important and Charlotte, Atlanta, and Pittsburgh are probably all one way or all the other.
THANK YOU. Somebody gets it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
nearest ocean beach:

to me, a place isn't truly "coastal" if you can't wake up on a random summer saturday and say "hey, it's gorgeous out today, let's go to the beach!"
Yeah, pretty much.

Pennsylvania is technically a coastal state because the Delaware River is tidal up to around the Philadelphia area (like DC is coastal because the Potomac is tidal).

Sure, the state is part of the greater Eastern Seaboard, but that certainly doesn't make every part of the state "coastal". It would be ridiculous to say that Pittsburgh is coastal. Just like it would be ridiculous to say that Philadelphia is an Appalachian city because Pennsylvania is Appalachian.

And I don't really consider Philly (or DC) to be coastal cities... at least not in the way that Boston, NY, Miami, Charleston, etc. are coastal cities.

That's what I dislike most about Philly and DC -- they're hot as fucking shit from coastal humidity in the summer without the corresponding sea and land breezes associated with actually being coastal. And even though you can get to the Jersey or Maryland or Delaware shores relatively easily, it's still a pain in the ass with lots of traffic. Having lived in both, I find both Philly and DC to be generally miserable in the summer... ocean so close to tease you, yet far enough away to make it unrealistic to head there all the time... and certainly not after work for a couple hours of beach time.

To me, Chicago and the rest of the Great Lakes port cities are "coastal". They are the North Coast.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:01 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
that's odd. would someone from LA traveling to chicago really say they're going to the "east coast"?

i could see them using a phrase like "back east" or something, but "coast"? really?

that'd be like someone from new york calling denver "west coast".

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
NYC has stronger ties to the Great Lakes than the other East Coast northeast corridor cities.
yes, because of the erie canal.

however, no one in history has ever considered NYC a "great lakes city" in the mold of toronto, chicago, cleveland, etc.

all i was trying to say is that the automatic state inclusion thing is dumb.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Why is size of the city the criteria to determine whether it's East Coast?
Exactly. Such a bizarre, subjective and random criteria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
If Pittsburgh and Philly's populations were switched would it make a difference?
^ This.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
nearest ocean beach:

pittsburgh - atlantic city - 5:45 drive time

charlotte - myrtle beach - 3:30 drive time

atlanta - tybee island - 4:00 drive time

pittsburgh is considerably further from an ocean beach, though it is only 2 hours to presque isle state park's beaches on lake erie

however, all of them are long enough from the ocean that the average person ain't day-tripping to an ocean beach from any of them.

to me, a place isn't truly "coastal" if you can't wake up on a random summer saturday and say "hey, it's gorgeous out today, let's go to the beach!"
Seriously??? What difference does it make how close to a beach a city is???

Per that logic someone from Seattle is "definitely from the West Coast", someone from Bend, OR, "might be from the West Coast" (short drive to the beach!), yet someone from Spokane, WA, is "definitely NOT from the West Coast".

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds??

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think NYC ties to the Great Lakes are pretty much exclusive to Lakes Erie and Ontario though. Due to history, geography/NY State territory, and migration. With the state's other cities being Great Lakes cities for the most part, you're just naturally going to have those ties. I grew up in Erie, PA and because of its border with SW New York and ties to Buffalo, there's way more connection with NYC than there is with Philadelphia (or with all of eastern PA for that matter).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
For the record, I don't really like this state-level metric at all. If the main city of NC was on the Tennessee border, this city wouldn't be coastal just 'cause NC has an Atlantic coast.

With this "state level" metric, you'd put El Paso in the same pool of candidates as Galveston, Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola, Tampa/St.Pete, etc.
Absolutely asinine logic. And thank you for pointing out the El Paso example, which CLEARLY proves how ridiculous the "state-level metric" is.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Seriously??? What difference does it make how close to a beach a city is???

Per that logic someone from Seattle is "definitely from the West Coast", someone from Bend, OR, "might be from the West Coast" (short drive to the beach!), yet someone from Spokane, WA, is "definitely NOT from the West Coast".

Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds??
It seems he was distinguishing between the very general, broad "East Coast" vs. "coastal".

He was talking "coastal". I get the difference. I think we all should be able to.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
What difference does it make how close to a beach a city is???
because beaches are awesome!

if you have to plan a vacation to go to the beach, then you ain't living in a "coastal city".

and no, i would not consider bend or spokane to be coastal cities.

you can think of it as ridiculous til the cows come home, but you're not gonna change my mind.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
that's odd. would someone from LA traveling to chicago really say they're going to the "east coast"?

i could see them using a phrase like "back east" or something, but "coast"? really?

that'd be like someone from new york calling denver "west coast".
I have a feeling that a lot of people call Vegas "west coast." I wouldn't stop someone and point out that Vegas is at least a 4 hour drive from the nearest beach.

Quote:
yes, because of the erie canal.

however, no one in history has ever considered NYC a "great lakes city" in the mold of toronto, chicago, cleveland, etc.

all i was trying to say is that the automatic state inclusion thing is dumb.
I think most people don't use the Great Lakes as a point of reference. Most people would use the Atlantic Ocean as a point of reference first. To many people, anywhere past a certain line is the "east coast". If you're sitting here arguing about it, then you probably live in one of those places that is offhandedly referred to as "east coast".

Just like when you're from the Midwest you might play gatekeeper to define what is and isn't Midwest.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:19 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
I have a feeling that a lot of people call Vegas "west coast." I wouldn't stop someone and point out that Vegas is at least a 4 hour drive from the nearest beach.
but if you had this conversation with one of your coworkers in NYC:

coworker: "i'm headed out to the west coast next week"

you: "oh cool, where are you going?"

coworker: "denver"

wouldn't that seem really fucking weird to you?

now you understand why someone in LA calling chicago "east coast" seems really fucking weird to me.

denver and chicago are similar distances from salt water.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:25 PM

It's defintely weird. Vegas doesn't even have the same vibe as coastal California.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:

now you understand why someone in LA calling chicago east coast seems really fucking weird to me.

Lots of people would probably use the time zones to determine this distinction. Denver is on Mountain Time, while the West Coast cities use Pacific Time.

Of course, the Eastern Time zone captures Ohio, most of Indiana, and Michigan, which are decidedly NOT East Coast! So even that is imperfect. I still think you could consider about 75% of the Eastern time zone to be the East Coast, and about 90% of the Pacific time zone to be the West Coast. I don't really think it needs to literally be coastal, as much as it relates to the denser population centers closer to the oceans as compared with the middle of the country.

Somebody mentioned a "coastal" city being that you could go to the ocean without necessarily needing to make big plans (or a vacation) to do so. I agree with this. However, I'd say that anywhere where you could comfortably make it to the ocean for, say, a 1-night overnight trip could be considered the East/West coast of the country.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:

now you understand why someone in LA calling chicago east coast seems really fucking weird to me.

Geographically, you're right. But Chicago is often grouped in with the cities east of it, while Denver is usually considered distinct from the cities west of it.

Maybe it doesn't seemed weird to me because whenever I was in California as a kid nobody seemed to distinguish between Detroit and the rest of the east. The last time this conversation popped up on here I had just flown back from L.A., and I distinctly remembered that a flight to Atlanta was departing from the next gate over and people kept referring to the flight as "going to the east coast".

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:37 PM

I don't hear east coast for that. Its more "back east" but that could be from all the east coast people here.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 12:13 AM

I definitely hear people in LA call portions of the Midwest and non-coastal East as the 'East Coast'. I haven't heard people call Chicago East Coast, though. I think it's probably because it's the 'king of the Midwest' and everyone knows it as the Midwestern metropolis. When I tell people I'm going to Ohio, it's not uncommon to hear it referred to as 'East Coast' by people here, or at least 'back east'. Maybe it's the time zone thing, maybe it's just that Ohio is the most eastern portion of the Midwest...idk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions