HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:27 PM

Good morning everyone.

I hope you don't mind another tree post.( but this one is also a 'mystery' house)

1925 Press Photo Los Angeles Rubber Tree

ebay

Since this is a press photograph it probably ended up in newspapers....perhaps the address of the house is included in the article.
(get searching! )

reverse with location [Los Angeles] and date stamp [Nov.1925]

If I remember correctly, there were also rubber trees in The Plaza.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 22, 2017 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
t2 & odinthor

Earlier today while I was looking for a good photograph of pepper trees from around the same time period as the sepia cabinet card (1890s),
I happened upon this fine photograph of Eucalyptus trees

"Eucalyptus trees lined at the corner of Gower Street and Melrose Avenue, ca.1900"

usc digital archive

"Eucaluptus trees line the dirt road (at right). Grass covers the surrounding areas. The trunks of the trees stand in the extreme left foreground.;
"This group consists of more than 400, quick-growing, tender, evergreen trees and some shrubs native to Tasmania and Australia.
These unique trees can grow to gigantic proportions; some species can reach heights over 400 feet in their native habitats and up to 200 feet in California.
"

Can you believe that's the corner of Melrose and Gower! Truly bucolic-

(I believe the photograph actually shows the 'intersection' of Melrose and Gower up ahead in the near distance, right?

__
Unbelievable. How fascinating it would be to somehow actually see those old streets and roads lined with Pepper and Eucalyptus Trees.
Are there ANY streets lined with Eucalyptus in Los Angeles? There certainly are such streets in Northern California, such as a stretch of a busy boulevard in Burlingame and a residential boulevard in Fresno. They are amazingly atmospheric and picturesque.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 4:23 PM

"Badly Demented" -supposedly.

Last seen at 202 N. Eastlake Ave. Los Angeles Cal.

ebay

It looks like Mrs. Pittman took off with all her jewels! (and her husband was so P.Oed he told the police she was "badly demented")

I was going to include a gsv photo of 202 n. eastlake ave., but google maps keeps sending me to the 2000 block instead.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 22, 2017 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
"Badly Demented" -supposedly.

Last seen at 202 N. Eastlake Ave. Los Angeles Cal.

ebay

It looks like Mrs. Pittman took off with all her jewels! (and her husband was so P.Oed he told the police she was "badly demented") -unfair

I was going to include a gsv photo of 202 n. eastlake ave., but google maps keeps sending me to the 2000 block instead.

__
That's a $25,000 reward in 2017 money. I wonder if they found her....report says she's a ''jolly talker".....lovely. She's also a jolly taker...

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:25 PM

Funny that the "Missing" poster doesn't even mention her name, just refers to her as "Mrs. W.H. Pittman."

Tells you what society was like back then.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:28 PM

I noticed that too sopas.

I read the poster like three times thinking I had somehow missed her name.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 8:34 PM

LAT June 19, 1910

As for "202 N Eastlake"-- this is now the 2000 block, between Baldwin & Manitou. The previous numbering seems to have been south from N Broadway; the current is north from...not sure where. Anyway, this would put 202 closer to Manitou...it looks like there's a bungalow at the sec of Eastlake & Manitou that might have been the Pittmans' house.

You don't suppose this could be the same W H Pittman, do you? LA Herald Sept 15 & 29, 1904

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Sep 22, 2017 at 10:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2017, 10:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

LAT June 19, 1910

As for "202 N Eastlake"-- this is now the 2000 block, between Baldwin & Manitou. The previous numbering seems to have been south from N Broadway; the current is north from...not sure where. Anyway, this would put 202 closer to Manitou...it looks like there's a bungalow at the sec of Eastlake & Manitou that might have been the Pittman's house.

You don't suppose this could be the same W H Pittman, do you? LA Herald Sept 15 & 29, 1904
They're evidently both life-long career grifters. It takes one to know one. Notice that poor injured Mr. Pittman stiffed the probably underpaid detective of his reward money.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 2:28 AM

Another "e_r Mystery Location (tm)" challenge.

UCLA Special Collections - LA Daily News

This one is captioned "Slum sought during SERA housing study, Los Angeles, 1934: A family in a Los Angeles slum. Part of the housing study carried out by the State Emergency Relief Administration. County officials were asked to make a study of housing conditions in their city."

The general area was not hard to identify because of the National Biscuit Building in the left distance:

Google Earth Pro

So we are near E. 7th St. just east of Mateo.

I drove the Googlemobile around the area to try to find a view with a similar orientation of the National Biscuit Building and ended up with this:

GSV

This was taken on E. 7th Pl, and so I checked out some Sanborn maps and found:

lapl.org

...with colors added to match the map buildings with the photo buildings.

The Sanborn maps of the area document the transition of this place from respectable residential in 1894 to not-so-respectable mixed industrial/residental use by 1923. The 1894 map showed a large open block just south of Atlantic marked "City Play Grounds." Has this been discussed on the thread?

Here is a detail from the original picture:

At first I thought that the woman on the right was using a pump (shades of Broad Street, London) but looking more closely, she is filling a glass of water from a free-standing tap. She and the children are clean and well-dressed, and there are some flowers behind her so I don't think this represents complete squalor, despite the buildings being marked as "tenements" on the map. Does anyone know what all the vertical pipes are about? I am guessing the yellow building is an outhouse.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:39 AM

GW, thanks for digging up the juicy details on W.H. Pittman and his "missing" wife.

June_1910/Times

I had never heard the term "soiled doves"...... (yep, it meant what I thought)

and "inmate of the tenderloin"

June_1910/Times

so Mrs. Pittman was also a prostitute. The plot thickens thanks to your sleuthing GW.
_

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
Unbelievable. How fascinating it would be to somehow actually see those old streets and roads lined with Pepper and Eucalyptus Trees.
Are there ANY streets lined with Eucalyptus in Los Angeles? There certainly are such streets in Northern California, such as a stretch of a busy boulevard in Burlingame and a residential boulevard in Fresno. They are amazingly atmospheric and picturesque.
If I recall correctly a late friend's remark--he was from Santa Monica, and his father ran a florist shop which was patronized by William S. Hart, whom my friend saw--Santa Monica Blvd. used to be lined for some stretch with Eucalyptus way way back (1920s and earlier?).

Not in L.A., but over on Catalina: Up until quite recently indeed, the streets of Avalon were lined with Eucalyptus; but, despite their beauty and the pleasant scent of the trees, they had the drawback of always dropping litter and buckling the sidewalks. They even used to use hewed-off limbs from the Eucalyptus as the "poles" for their streetlights, very artistic and atmospheric in their irregularity, which I found delightful. Now they just have straight metal poles. :-(

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:30 AM

I came across this broadside in an old file of mine labeled Los Angeles ephemera.

I wasn't entirely sure this poster was from Los Angeles until I found this address.

"NW corner of Chavez and Queirolo"

1911 city directory.

lapl

We have seen Queirolo one other time on NLA. Along Queriolo St. from Date St.

And as far as I can tell, McCarey's Pavilion has only been mentioned one time on NLA. (see below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson
Baker Iron Works and Capitol Milling from Yale Street above Calvary Cemetery, William Henry Jackson, 1888

Also shown a good shot of the enormous Union Warehouse at Naud Junction and an as yet unpaved Bruno Street.
Also missing is McCarey's Pavilion or Naud Junction Arena which would be to the left of the Union Warehouse.
Notice the relative absence of rails. This view will ultimately be loaded with rails leading into and out of the 'Cornfield' just out of-frame to the left.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

So we're still looking for a photograph of McCarey's Pavilion. Is that right? -or did I miss it

__

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 11:45 AM

The 1910 Baist map shows McCarey's Pavilion right where the 1911 CD says it should be: on the corner of Queirolo and Chavez Streets.

www.historicmapworks.com

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:

So we're still looking for a photograph of McCarey's Pavilion. Is that right? -or did I miss it

__

I linked to a 1910 photo of the 1905 McCarey's Pavilion, AKA Naud Junction Arena, in this post on Dogtown.

la magazine

"In 1905, boxing promoter Thomas McCarey constructed a pavilion at Naud’s Junction near [Naud's] warehouse. The popular sport of boxing had been outlawed over at nearby Hazard’s Pavilion, where the bloody action had taken place in previous years. So Naud’s became the place in L.A. proper for big-time boxing bouts (though it was challenged by the nearby arena in Vernon). It even hosted heavyweight and middleweight championships of the world."

The building ceased being a boxing arena in 1913 and burned to the ground on 22 September 1915.

Last edited by tovangar2; Sep 23, 2017 at 7:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 5:47 PM

MORE ON THE WAYWARD MRS. PITMAN....

As it turns out, it's Pitman rather than Pittman, and she does have a first name after all... Helen. She was born in Oregon as Helen Aldrich Post, and married William Herbert Pitman Jr some time after his apparent 1904 run-in with Anna Burelbach and before 1908 or so. (He might have married Anna...who is noted by the Herald as living at one point in B.C...a W H Pitman was issued a marriage license there at some point, but I have no more info than that...perhaps it was Helen he married in Canada. Anyway, William seems to have arrived in LA by 1905, and is listed as a bartender in the CD of that year, living on Spring Street...where is he listed again in 1909, by this time with Helen and her father, Edward Post.

W H Pitman and his father-in-law were in the olive-oil business together.

The Pitmans and Mr. Post were at 202 N. Eastlake with Mr. Post by the time the 1910 census was enumerated on April 19; according to the Times, Helen took off one week later. (William's recently widowed mother joined the household later in the year.)

Despite the trashy behavior all around, it seems that William did get Helen back--she "is once again at the fireside of her husband"--if not the jewelry (per the Herald, July 10, 1910):

William and Helen (and Mr. Post) appear in the 1920 CD...still at 202 N. Eastlake--although all three appear at an address in Portland OR in the 1920 census. They were back in LA by 1925, living at the Northwest Apartments (327 N Beaudry)...W H became the building's manager at some point.

And apparently they lived happily ever after...indeed, to the point of their remains being interred together at Forest Lawn (she died in 1940, he 1954).

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
MORE ON THE WAYWARD MRS. PITMAN....

As it turns out, it's Pitman rather than Pittman, and she does have a first name after all... Helen. She was born in Oregon as Helen Aldrich Post, and married William Herbert Pitman Jr some time after his apparent 1904 run-in with Anna Burelbach and before 1908 or so. (He might have married Anna...who is noted by the Herald as living at one point in B.C...a W H Pitman was issued a marriage license there at some point, but I have no more info than that...perhaps it was Helen he married in Canada. Anyway, William seems to have arrived in LA by 1905, and is listed as a bartender in the CD of that year, living on Spring Street...where is he listed again in 1909, by this time with Helen and her father, Edward Post.

W H Pitman and his father-in-law were in the olive-oil business together.

The Pitmans and Mr. Post were at 202 N. Eastlake with Mr. Post by the time the 1910 census was enumerated on April 19; according to the Times, Helen took off one week later. (William's recently widowed mother joined the household later in the year.)

Despite the trashy behavior all around, it seems that William did get Helen back--she "is once again at the fireside of her husband"--if not the jewelry (per the Herald, July 10, 1910):

William and Helen (and Mr. Post) appear in the 1920 CD...still at 202 N. Eastlake--although all three appear at an address in Portland OR in the 1920 census. They were back in LA by 1925, living at the Northwest Apartments (327 N Beaudry)...W H became the building's manager at some point.

And apparently they lived happily ever after...indeed, to the point of their remains being interred together at Forest Lawn (she died in 1940, he 1954).
Crime-in-common often keeps married couples and others together. Bonnie & Clyde, not to forget Bill & Hillary. I almost forgot Mr and Mrs. Bernie Madoff.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
1910 photo of the 1905 McCarey's Pavilion, AKA Naud Junction Arena.

la magazine

The building ceased being a boxing arena in 1913 and burned to the ground on 22 September 1915.
Thanks for the reminder (and the photo!) tovangar2.

this description says it was also know as the Pacific Athletic Club Pavilion. (the dates differ too)

"Tom McCarey staged boxing shows at the Pacific Athletic Club Pavilion (also known as the Naud Junction Pavilion)
for only about five years (from late 1905 to 1910), it remains a very significant venue in Los Angeles boxing history.
It was where the first clearly identified World Championship bouts were staged in the Los Angeles area.
Moreover, there would also be a number of significant non-title bouts at the venue.
"

more HERE. (it's very interesting)

Two rare photographs taken inside the Naud Junction (McCarey's) Pavilion

January 4, 1907.

History: On January 4, 1907 at Naud Junction Pavilion in Los Angeles heavyweights Jack "Twin" Sullivan and Fireman Jim Flynn
met in an important division matchup. After 20 rounds the fight was declared a draw. Offered here is an original, first generation
photograph taken by the notable Dana Studios depicting the two fighters in the ring squaring off before the fight began.

Price: $375.00 at josportsinc

February 4, 1908

History: On February 4, 1908 at Naud Junction Pavilion in Los Angeles lightweights Battling Nelson and Rudy Unholz
fought in the main event. Unholz prevailed winning a ten round decision. Under the city ordinance, no decision
could be given, but there was no doubt of the result. The Boer had all the best of every round in the matter of blows
exchanged and he punched Nelson considerably and had him bleeding freely at the nose and mouth almost from the start.
He knocked the Battler down in the first round with a lightning left to the point of the jaw. (The Ogden Standard).
Offered here is an original, first generation photograph taken by the notable Dana Studios depicting the two fighters
in the ring squaring off before the fight began.

Price: $400.00 at josportsinc

__

one more item

Woody Strode remembers Naud Junction Pavilion as a tent.

excerpt from Gold Dust

https://books.google.com/books?id=Pz...ion%22&f=false

but Woody Strode was born July 25, 1914 and the Naude Junction Pavilion burnt down on Sept. 22, 1915.
(I don't think he would remember at 1 1/2 yrs old)

...so maybe there was a tent on the site after the pavilion burnt down? (just a wild guess)
__

ok, just one more thing..

now I'm curious about Silverwood's Hill (where the boxers ran)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 24, 2017 at 12:04 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 4:21 AM

Silverwood's Hill

Quote:

now I'm curious about Silverwood's Hill (where the boxers ran)
It must be this hill:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post

I had a chuckle seeing the big ad on the hilltop in the distance. It appears to read "SILVERWOOD'S $3.00 HATS".

USC Digital Library/California Historical Society: Panoramic view of Los Angeles, showing Sixth Street, Figueroa Street, Flower Street, east side of Sixth Street, ca.1916 (detail). Photographer: C.C. Pierce.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomara View Post
I've never heard of this block. Thanks for sharing these photos.

Here's the latest GSV of the building. (January 2017) Doesn't seem like that chimney was restored.

Charnock Block GSV by Kimberly, on Flickr

(I've marked this screenshot private in my flickr account. Please let me know if it doesn't appear and I will adjust my privacy settings. I'm going to migrate all my photobucket screenshots to flickr)
No doubt the fireplace to which the chimney was attached is no longer there, so no reason to have the chimney. While it does look good from the outside, the Charnock Block was in bad repair otherwise and in fact the only thing that was preserved in its refurbishment was the exterior. The building behind the facade was entirely replaced.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2017, 1:05 PM

Forget the natural and political disasters we're living through--the outrage against them pales in comparison to the negative reaction in some quarters to the interior makeover of the Higgins-Verbeck house...which is pretty awful, as if done by someone who took a vocational-training course and then copied--badly--an outdated Pottery Barn catalog. Anyway, stripping the finish off 115-year-old woodwork (and replacing vintage lighting) is a desecration--but then it was clearly a depressing, dark old house that needed lightening. I'm wondering what NLAers think, not so much in terms of aesthetics--but of the question of--what to do with a white elephant?

The house has been unsellable--it is definitely unsuited to modern times, with awkward spaces, ancient bones, undoubted inefficiency in terms of its infrastructure...not to mention being on a lousy block in an old, relatively high-crime neighborhood, next to an office building and close to noisy Wilshire Blvd.... It seems to have been on the market forever...6 mil down to 4, now, with this atrocious and obviously cheap makeover, it has amusingly zoomed up to 9 million.

Oh well. I don't blame the owner for trying to unload the old girl by making it appear up-to-date--it's his house to do with as he pleases. It's always interesting how the dissenters in these cases never seem to come up with the money to save such a house. What are these unrealistic expectations that this kind of artifact should be preserved for their personal enjoyment with no financial risk of their own? A wish that life was the way they want to imagine it was in 1902 (in the case of this house)--or a fantasy that they would ever have been living like the Higginses & Verbecks?

Any thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos