HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 3:20 PM

Major League Soccer in Canada

Big changes in Toronto at the start of 2019

https://www.wakingthered.com/2019/1/...m-bezbatchenko

Quote:
In a press conference at the BMO Training Ground this morning, Toronto FC president Bill Manning announced that the club has hired Ali Curtis as the fifth general manager in franchise history. Curtis replaces Tim Bezbatchenko, who left TFC abruptly this week to take over the president’s job at Columbus Crew SC.

Curtis, 40, was previously the sporting director of the New York Red Bulls, from 2014 to early 2017. There, he helped the club to the 2015 Supporters’ Shield. While with RBNY, Curtis developed a reputation for improving the Red Bulls’ youth system and making them a consistently competitive side while maintaining a relatively modest payroll.

TFC’s new GM played in MLS for three years as a forward for the Tampa Bay Mutiny, D.C. United, and FC Dallas. He was a prolific talent in college for Duke, winning the Hermann Trophy and MAC Award as the top player in the NCAA. After his playing days, he worked briefly at both the investment bank JP Morgan and the MLS head office.

Also, Laurent Ciman is back in MLS with Toronto after having his deal at Dijon terminated

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
Also, Laurent Ciman is back in MLS with Toronto after having his deal at Dijon terminated
Ciman is a good pickup and exactly what TFC needs on the back end but he needs to figure out what he wants. Pretty sure he said he was done with MLS when he moved from LAFC.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:53 PM
Near Generational

His Twitter says he's happy to be in Toronto...

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 4:59 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
His Twitter says he's happy to be in Toronto...
He leaves LA for France to be closer with his family in August, and then joins Toronto in January. There's an interesting quote in this article from August:

http://www.espn.com/soccer/lafc/stor...-laurent-ciman

Ciman said a key reason for his return to Europe had been the infrastructure in place to support his daughter, who is autistic.

"It's not Canada in terms of what they can do for her, but the development of my daughter will always be at the heart of my project. The club knows that," he said.

"I have a daughter that has needs. I'm going to what is necessary so that we can meet them here."

I guess he really likes Canadian healthcare and social services.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:35 PM
ハルウララ

Kristian Jack @KristianJack
Sources: Gregory van der Wiel has been ‘removed from Toronto FC camp’ after an altercation with Greg Vanney for insubordination. Will never play for the team again. Some within the club explored options of possibly releasing him in the offseason over character concerns. #tfc

Old Posted Jan 24, 2019, 6:51 PM

Massive changes in Vancouver with most players being brand new along with a new coach.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 2:17 PM
ハルウララ

Giovinco sold to Al-Hilal.

Here's a good Jack piece on the legacy he leaves behind in Toronto:

https://www.tsn.ca/giovinco-consiste...o-fc-1.1249774

----------

Also really liking the moves Whitecaps have been making this transfer window. They signed South Korean international Hwang In-beom yesterday. Their midfield should be so much better this season.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/risi...oin-whitecaps/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 3:03 PM
Near Generational

Seba wasn't going to resign with TFC, mine as well get what you can get.

Huge loss for the team though.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Also really liking the moves Whitecaps have been making
Cordova has been capped for the CMNT.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:02 PM

Vancouver now with only 3 players from last year!!

And is Giovinco gone?? With only one person mentioning it and no comments?
That's huge if it's true!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:04 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Vancouver now with only 3 players from last year!!

And is Giovinco gone?? With only one person mentioning it and no comments?
That's huge if it's true!
It's definitely true. Giovinco has already arrived in Saudi Arabia.

TFC are looking to sign a couple players to fill the gap with the money they're saving on not paying Giovinco anymore. He's not supposed to fill his place but they signed Terence Boyd today to a pretty smart deal.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 7:36 PM

Ya I saw that after lol. That it is massive news but the Toronto formers haven't shown up to comment yet surprisingly.
I will miss his gloves on those cold Toronto days.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2019, 8:08 PM

Boyd is essentially replacing Tossaint Ricketts - they earn the same.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 1:07 AM

Jacob Shaffelburg, proud son of Nova Scotia, turning heads at TFC camp
Steve Buffery Toronto Sun February 11, 2019

IRVINE, Calif. — The most famous resident of Port Williams, N.S., was said to be Benjamin Belcher, a militia leader who was victorious in the Battle of Cape Split during the American Revolution. Yes, that battle.

“Who?” said Jacob Shaffelburg, another son of the small Nova Scotia village, when asked if he had ever heard of the militia guy. “No, I don’t know who he was. But there’s a guy named Drake Batherson from my hometown. We grew up playing road hockey together.”

Batherson was actually born in Fort Wayne, Ind., but grew up in Port Williams and is a highly regarded prospect in the Ottawa Senators farm system, though he has three goals and five assists in 17 games with the Sens this season.

“He grew up, as the crow flies, probably 400 metres from my house. So all of us used to go and play Mantracker, road hockey and soccer together,” Shaffelburg told the Toronto Sun on Monday. “He’s doing really well. He had a hat trick (for the AHL Belleville Senators) the other day.”

Perhaps Batherson is poised to surpass Belcher as the most famous person from Port Williams. And then possibly Shaffelburg himself.

While the 20-year-old Batherson is already making a name for himself in pucks, Shaffelburg is on the cusp of doing the same in soccer.

This past November, TFC II signed the 19-year-old to a USL contract and the lightning-quick forward has opened eyes here at TFC’s pre-season training camp in soggy southern California. So much so that head coach Greg Vanney believes there’s a chance Shaffelburg could actually be on the roster when the Reds travel to Panama on Feb.19 for the first round of the CONCACAF Champions League.

“He’s an out-and-out winger, incredible speed, very aggressive, will attack the end-line, will run at a player,” Vanney told reporters earlier. “We like him a lot. He’s a guy that we hope to have around here pretty soon.”

That could be sooner than expected. Vanney actually started the teenager in TFC’s exhibition game on Saturday night against the L.A. Galaxy and the kid held his own in his first taste or professional game action.

“He played against a right back who has international experience and I thought the most important thing was, Jacob did not look scared whatsoever,” Vanney told the Sun. “He put in a decent shift. He got the ball in some dangerous spots but had about three crosses blocked. He needs to adapt to the pace of play for sure. Was it perfect? No. There is no expectation for it to be perfect because there’s a lot learning for him to do. But he showed me the capacity to not be afraid and to understand what he’s trying to do. And he’s just going to continue to grow from that experience.”

Shaffelburg described his start against the Galaxy as one of the best experiences of his life.

“I was certainly nervous before. Just all the fans being there and walking up to a (huge) stadium for the first time,” he said. “But once the game started I felt a lot better and a lot of guys were really nice to me and helped me through the game. I loved it.”

The 19-year-old has been on the Reds’ radar for years, joining the TFC Academy in 2016, but played the past few seasons with the Berkshire School in Massachusetts — the same prep school that Leeds United winger Jack Harrison attended. Shaffelburg’s coach at Berkshire, Jon Moodey, has compared him to Harrison. Shaffelburg had 16 goals and 12 assists for Berkshire the past season, helping the team to a 19-0 record.

He was going to head to the University of Virginia after his senior year, but decided to turn pro. And though he has been part of the TFC family for a while (dressing for TFC III last year in a group that played youth teams of Manchester United, Tigres UANL and Higashi Fukuoka), Shaffelburg’s game seems to have progressed quicker than many imagined it would. His speed, especially, has turned heads.

“He’s got a very aggressive mind set as a wide player. And as a team we’re looking at wide players being a pivotal part of what we’re doing,” Vanney said. “He’s left-footed, he plays off the left side, he attacks, he attacks the space behind, he’s got good confidence. He’s been a great addition to the group and he’s done very well, so we’ll continue to provide him with opportunities until he shows us that he needs to slow down a little bit. But he’s been great.”

Vanney has been impressed with the overall group of young players (mostly teenagers) at camp, including Noble Okello, Aidan Daniels, Julian Dunn, Liam Fraser, Jordan Hamilton and 16-year-old Jayden Nelson. Most hail from the Toronto area, or at least urban centres, where club competition is very competitive. Shaffelburg is not only from a small village, but he’s from Nova Scotia, where soccer isn’t exactly king. His journey to pro soccer is certainly uncommon.

“Every single one of my friends played hockey accept me,” said Shaffelburg, whose parents, Michael and Linda, and brother Zach and sister Jessica played soccer. “And I had one friend who played basketball. But other than that it was strictly hockey. I was like the odd one out playing soccer.”

He certainly doesn’t look like the odd one out at TFC pre-season camp.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 3:09 PM
ハルウララ

According to Ian Thomas (@byIanThomas) TFC are sitting around 24K season ticket holders for 2019. This places them third in MLS behind Atlanta and Seattle, both of whom are over 30K. Expansion club Cincinnati just passed the 20K threshold today.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 2:19 AM

We are back

Video Link

Toronto FC 4, New York City FC 0
https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/...ls-match-recap

Last edited by Nite; Mar 30, 2019 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 11:16 PM
ハルウララ

Whitecaps made some news today by securing Iraqi international Ali Adnan from Udinese. Was previously on loan at the club. Caps have paid the highest fee ever in MLS for a fullback (somewhere in the neighbourhood of $2M+).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 10:49 PM

Just to get everybody up to speed, the Whitecaps fired president of the team, Bob Lenarduzzi. He doesn't have anything to do with player management so I don't know what good this will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Where is there even land available to build one that's accessible to fans? The cost of such a build is probably worth enough to keep the team at BC Place for the foreseeable future.
It seems the Port of Vancouver doesn't want anything built over their tracks, so a waterfront stadium isn't going to happen anytime soon. The first thing that I can think of is to rebuild Swangard Stadium to MLS standard. It's less than a 10 minute walk from Patterson Skytrain, and your still in the thick of the city. Nice views of the mountains, and nice views of DT Vancouver from the east stands. Or even in the large park space right beside Patterson Station. Burnaby would love to have the Whitecaps in their city, so I'm sure something could be worked out.

I'm hearing the Whitecaps are going to want to bring in someone from overseas. If that's the case, the first thing the guy is going to want to do is build a soccer specific stadium.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:20 AM

Remember this:

Oct 13, 2005
WHITECAPS ANNOUNCE PLANS FOR WATERFRONT STADIUM

http://www.whitecapsnewstadium.com/m...l.cfm?newsid=8

VANCOUVER, B.C. - Vancouver's stunning downtown waterfront will be the site of Vancouver's next great landmark - a new 15,000-seat outdoor sports stadium capable of hosting major international sporting and cultural events. The vision for Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium, which will showcase sustainable building practices along with the best in British Columbia design, construction and materials, was announced today by Whitecaps President John Rocha and Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi.

The stadium's Gastown waterfront location will be within walking distance of 30,000 parking stalls, 8,000 hotel rooms and 80,000 downtown Vancouver residents and workers. It will also be the most transit friendly stadium in North America with direct access from the SkyTrain, SeaBus, West Coast Express and the new RAV line and in close proximity to Habour Lynx, HeliJet, float planes and numerous bus routes. Built above the existing railway tracks, it will feature spectacular views of the North Shore Mountains and Burrard Inlet.

"Our dream of a new outdoor stadium in the heart of scenic Vancouver is finally becoming a reality," said Lenarduzzi. "This new stadium will provide Vancouver with the opportunity to enjoy world class soccer along with numerous other events."

First and foremost, Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium will be a soccer specific stadium offering fans a close-up experience of the beautiful game played on real grass. The stadium will host more than 30 Whitecaps Men's and Women's games, Canadian National Team games, and international soccer tournaments and exhibition matches featuring top level club teams from countries representing Vancouver's various ethnic communities.

In addition to soccer, the facility will host 60-80 event dates annually comprised of outdoor concerts, symphony performances, and a wide range of sporting events including international rugby, tennis, and beach volleyball. The stadium will also provide a home for many ethnic and community festivals, corporate events, and will complement the City's growing trade and convention business.

"Today is a great day for soccer fans and Vancouverites alike," said Rocha. "Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium will broaden Vancouver's appeal to world class soccer, concerts and events, and strengthen our partnerships with the British Columbia Soccer Association and the Canadian Soccer Association. By incorporating sustainable, environmentally friendly building methods and management systems it will promote the best in BC building and design."

For more information about Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium visit whitecapsnewstadium.com. People who register their support on the site will receive priority rights to all first year events, and the opportunity to attend a special open house prior to the general public grand opening.

Individuals registering before November 24 will have the opportunity to win one of four dream prizes: a trip for two to the 2006 FIFA World Cup in Germany, a trip for two to the International Rugby Board Rugby Sevens in Los Angeles, a trip for two to a Coldplay concert and a trip for two to a concert at the Tanglewood Music Festival.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2019, 3:10 AM

Wow! I'm surprised no one has brought this thread back to life. Toronto FC is in the finals for the third time in four seasons.

After a terrible start to the season, FC went on a roll in the second half of the season and carried that momentum into the playoffs with back-to-back upsets to reach the finals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada