HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 3:32 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Matthews negative one on the season, playing for a team with a +40 goal differential. He didn't get that by playing the tough defensive minutes either.
You're making little sense. He's there to score goals. He's not there to play the tough defensive minutes. His PPG is 1.15.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 4:11 PM

Matthews was looking like a solid two way center in his first two years. He was very active with his stick in his own zone always tracking down the puck carrier and looking to pick his pocket. The eye test would tell you that he's regressed in that regard. I've watched him get caught staring too many times while his man maneuvers to the open net. That being said, the previous two years he spent far more time in the offensive zone as his line with Nylander and Hyman was driving possession as well as any top line in the league. There is far less opportunity to be exposed defensively when you don't draw defensive zone starts and cycle the puck exceptionally well in the other team's end.

He needs a little monitoring from Babcock to keep a consistent effort every game, but more importantly he needs consistent linemates that can help him keep the puck in the offensive zone. Marleau has been a black hole and is killing possessions that Hyman and Nylander helped to drive and create chances off of for Matthews the last two years.

Edit: Validation for my point above

Last edited by suburbanite; Feb 12, 2019 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 5:23 PM

I was worried the Flames would lose momentum over that long break and it seems I was right. I hope getting completely outplayed in Tampa last night will motivate them to get back on track ASAP.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
You're making little sense. He's there to score goals. He's not there to play the tough defensive minutes. His PPG is 1.15.
Don’t see what’s so hard to understand. Matthews is basically the best paid player in the league if you take into account the structure of his contract, but he doesn’t lead the league in scoring and he is invisible in his own end. I’m not sure what he’s done to justify that contract.

Also, those of us who watched Matthews in his first two seasons do expect some level of defensive awareness and contribution. He actually looked like a pretty good defensive player before this year. Even if his focus is on scoring goals, that doesn’t give him a pass to stand around and watch while his team gets scored on.

Illl mention again that his PPG is trending down since his hot start. He had a crazy 1.6 PPG pace at the beginning of the season, and I suspect it’ll be closer to 1 ppg or less by the time the season ends.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 6:10 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I was worried the Flames would lose momentum over that long break and it seems I was right. I hope getting completely outplayed in Tampa last night will motivate them to get back on track ASAP.
Hopefully. That performance didn't give me a lot of hope though. They can't play so loose with a team as good as that. Did you see the interview with that asshole Andreychuk in the intermission? They asked him about the Flames goal that never counted in '04 and he denied it went in. They played video evidence as he was denying it which was hilarious. If by some cosmic coincidence we ended up playing Tampa again in the final I'd be very worried.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:21 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
Don’t see what’s so hard to understand. Matthews is basically the best paid player in the league if you take into account the structure of his contract, but he doesn’t lead the league in scoring and he is invisible in his own end. I’m not sure what he’s done to justify that contract.

Also, those of us who watched Matthews in his first two seasons do expect some level of defensive awareness and contribution. He actually looked like a pretty good defensive player before this year. Even if his focus is on scoring goals, that doesn’t give him a pass to stand around and watch while his team gets scored on.

Illl mention again that his PPG is trending down since his hot start. He had a crazy 1.6 PPG pace at the beginning of the season, and I suspect it’ll be closer to 1 ppg or less by the time the season ends.
I'm not giving him a pass on standing around when I said he's there to score goals than to play the hard defensive minutes. He obviously hasn't been himself but, you, unlike MLSE, can only speculate the reason why he hasn't been himself. You don't write off a young guy like him on a couple months of play after an injury. That's going against the odds. No one knows whether he will live up to the contract or not. That's the game played off the ice.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2019, 11:28 PM
I am the law!

Rookies/Sophomores ... you're betting on their potential
Veterans ... you're betting they still have years left in them

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:06 PM
Near Generational

9 straight shootout losses.

Smith plays a decent game and the skaters can't score more than 2 goals.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 4:13 PM

Flames scorers are snake bit lately, I'm thinking a big breakout game is soon coming!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 5:26 PM

The camera just caught Pettersson losing it for a moment after a giveaway during last nights game. He is clearly more skilled than either Sedin and he has a lot more fire.

Yeah yeah, I know everyone’s sick of hearing about Pettersson but whatever. This guy is does everything. Art Ross and or Hart within 3 years.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:05 PM

I'd rather hear about Pettersson than the constant bombardment of Leafs news from the Toronto Media.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
I'd rather hear about Pettersson than the constant bombardment of Leafs news from the Toronto Media.
And Raptors.
And did you notice they've started Blue Jays coverage as well??
I miss the regional sports channels although they still covered all three teams.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 7:34 PM

I think they mentioned after the Bolts game last night that Kucherov is on pace for the highest point total since Lemiuex in 97. 24 more games at his pace puts him at 130.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:42 PM
ハルウララ

Hey who's that totally useless and invisible Matthews kid at the bottom of that points/60 chart?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 9:55 PM
arf

^Just some bum.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 10:32 PM

Missed opportunity to trade Matthews back for our old captain Phaneuf before he signed that contract.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a team run away with the Presidents trophy pretty much from the first month on. The 15 point gap between Tampa and the four teams in 2nd place is the same as the gap between 2nd place and the 9th place Canucks.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2019, 11:10 PM

The Flames were wining some games they shouldn't have before their break, and now have lost a couple of shootout games they should have won. Things tend to even out over the course of a season.

They have also lost to Washington, SJ, and Tampa. Nobody's beating Tampa, SJ is the other hottest team in the league and Washington the defending champs have also been playing well. It may look bad at the moment for the Flames, but I feel they are in a bit of a lull and have had some bad puck luck, combined with playing hot teams.

I do wonder if they have the physical grit and relentlessness to go far in the playoffs though? They score a lot of pretty goals on the rush, which isn't how goals are scored in the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
9 straight shootout losses.

Smith plays a decent game and the skaters can't score more than 2 goals.
Quote:
Flames scorers are snake bit lately, I'm thinking a big breakout game is soon coming!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 1:47 AM

Soooo.....what are your thoughts on why we are struggling.

I like lamp.

IMG_7853 by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 3:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
And Raptors.
And did you notice they've started Blue Jays coverage as well??
I miss the regional sports channels although they still covered all three teams.
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
IMG_7853 by BLACK STAR III, on Flickr
Yup.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2019, 6:50 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Oilers (re)acquire C Sam Gagner from Vancouver for C Ryan Spooner.

In case you forgot:
Nov 16, 2018 - Oilers acquire Spooner from NYR for C Ryan Strome
Jun 22, 2017 - Oilers acquire Strome from NYI for C Jordan Eberle

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada