HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 4:31 AM

Patrick, Thanks!! That's an honor. Especially since I've followed all the iterations of your city for quite some time now. I like the different types of architecture that are available in civic buildings. It gives cities its "different" vibe, rather than only skyscrapers. It's just another way of making a city, neither is right / wrong in my opinion but I just wanted a skyline that varied.

I was born and raised in Pittsburgh so that makes sense

VertX: Thanks on the library and fountain compliment
Steps make so many things look better than if they were only on flat ground.

ON TO MY NEXT UPDATE:

From around the canal area in the middle of the town. I added 3 new rowhouses in between two other buildings. The detail was difficult but I think I pulled it off.

Along the highway / train tracks, I added the old post office. It is a massive building:

A new hotel (Wyndham Grand) in the downtown area across the street from the city's tallest. It's connected to another skyscraper which is not finished yet (in all white)

A new campus building in the eastern campus:

Another view, straight on to show more details:

PNC Plaza sandwiched between the Monaca Federal building (on right) and the PNC tower (left) with PNC Center in the teal behind:

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:52 AM
Closed account

Amazing stuff, guyfromtheBurgh.

Amazing.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 11:56 PM
Desert Dweller

Amazing detail! I love the Post Office & PNC Plaza, I like how they mirror their real life counterparts but not enough to be complete duplicates.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:16 AM

Ahh thanks flamesrule. I hope there is more to come for this city to enjoy.

Patrick: I figured you'd recognize the buildings I'm definitely not creative enough to make all the buildings from scratch but I try to manipulate some so they "fit" in my city and the layout. Did you recognize 3 PNC (already built) and The Tower at PNC Plaza (Its the new one thats going to rise in Pittsburgh spring 2012).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:01 AM

Okay, finally another update. Don't worry, the project is still chugging along.

Here's a different stylized view of downtown (in case you forgot what it looked like):

Along the river near the baseball stadium, I have a new office building. There's more to add to that area but i want to show you more when it's finished:

Here's more of the hospital. You can see the sign for 'Monaca General Hospital' with the other buildings I've already shown you and a few around that are not done yet:

And here's the view of the other side. The building with the green cone on top is the older portion of the hospital. The redder brick in the previous picture is a recent addition. Also, you can see the highway in the foreground, sandwiched between portions of the hospital complex:

Now for the interesting stuff:

The eastern half of the university campus is coming along nicely. I have most of it massed out but have a lot of detailing to finish. I want to show you some of the work so far though. Below is the campus library with a few other campus buildings in the background. I want to put a map together that label all the buildings and uses for the campus.

Last and certainly not least is the performing arts center on campus. It is mostly done but may need a little more detail and some landscaping in the future. But i was particularly proud of how I modeled part of the interior because of the translucent windows. I think it makes it more interesting:

I have been wanting to update more on this but I ended up going to graduate school for my masters in engineering. Oh well, haha. It's still a fun hobby and helps with my CAD skills. I hope you enjoy!

And as always, comments / constructive criticism are always appreciated.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 7:25 AM

I just spent a few minutes paging back through this thread. Very, very impressive. You seem to have mastered just about every style, from bland older buildings to neoclassical and the modern/postmodern. Even your roads and bridges stand out as unusually well-designed. Fantastic work.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:14 AM
Closed account

Monica is coming along great. I really like the style of the buildings, it fits perfectly with the Ohio building style.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:08 AM

JHoward: Thanks! Some styles are easier to work with than others but the best cities, in my opinion are the ones that have a good mix. Any suggestions on future styles to work on? Which current style needs the most help (or detail)?

And I'm glad you think my roads are pretty good... I'm a certified transportation engineer

Flamesrule: Hey thanks, I appreciate it! Believe it or not, there are some good things in Ohio, haha.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 6:25 AM

Update

Well I've been chugging along here and have 2 more buildings to show you guys. They're next to each other on the east university campus (near the translucent performing arts center).

I'll start with the older basketball arena named Dixon Hall. It opened in 1929 and has been home to the Taliesin Tech basketball team since then. It also has the eastern campus gym located in the basement. You can see separate entrances to each:

Here's an overview of the two buildings. They're right on the river front property. Dixon Hall is across the street from the oval courtyard which will be shown in the next update.

The modern building is the Teed Smith Law Building. It was finished in 2009 and overlooks the river with great views up and down stream. The building is used as a figurative 'entrance' to the eastern campus from town:

The last picture shows how the glass enclosed upper floors of Teed Smith Law Building all have a slope upwards:

Hopefully, I will be able to get another update out early next week. Check back! And again, any suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by guyFROMtheBURGH; Apr 30, 2012 at 2:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 11:10 AM
Closed account

Interesting designs, I like the baseball stadium, do you have any other sports stadiums made yet?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:58 PM

Wow, good stuff, nice to see another city come back to life. Good updates, the Teed Smith looks fantastic, nice shape. This would be cool really detailed and rendered as a side project, more work obviously.

Good to have you back.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 5:48 PM

Wow I hadn't check this in a while, and I'm just so happy to see the eye candy of your detailed video-game-like system, and the actual architectural designs.
FLW, Taliesin

Trully impressed by the auditorium - I like the "vessel" within the building, good, elegant and almost biomimetic solution.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 10:50 PM

Vert X: Yep, Frank Lloyd Wright! I figured it would be aptly named. And I live near his masterpiece, fallingwater. Truly amazing to be there and walk through that house. Thanks! That auditorium was fun to build actually. The 2-way curtain wall system was a challenge but it worked out. I'll have to show you more details of the 'vessel' later.

Pingyao: Thanks! My city never really went anywhere but I would rather give a few big updates than many small ones. Although, since the forum seems to be back up and running, I might be updating more too. I might have to take you up on that with the Teed Smith building. What rendering software would you suggest?

Flamesrule: Hey, thanks... I have a few other made but not to that level of detail. I might have to make a few and start another thread just for my stadiums. I thought of making an interior in my basketball arena shown above...but we'll see. Thanks for the idea!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 11:28 PM

Well I guess Kerkythea is the main renderer for sketchup modelling. Although as I don't use Sketchup myself I'm no expert where rendering is concerned.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 12:45 AM
Closed account

For sketchup, I would recommend Kerkythea, or Indigo Renderer. (Not sure if Indigo is free anymore, it was a few months ago)

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 8:57 AM

I love the mix of old and new buildings, tall and low buildings! Really interesting city and beautiful skyline! Those couple of new buildings, the performing arts center and the law building are very nice designs. It would be awesome to see this city rendered!

Keep up the great work!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Well good news! I found out that there is a lab at my school with Google SketchUp PRO. Yes, PRO. Has anyone here used that? It really is amazing.

I'm trying to figure out how to model using PRO only because I can't download Kerky or anything else on these computers. They are very fast though with Linux and quad cores. If I could model all 70+mb of my file, you will all get some eye candy.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 4:53 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

This is awesome! I wish I still had time to build cities

I'm glad people here are still keepin' it up!

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 2:05 AM

Hey there Aleks, I guess you just have to find a few minutes here and there...

Here's an update on a side project that will soon get integrated with the golf course "country club" idea.

This is a close-up view of the front door at a house that will be on the course.

And a view of more of the house. It's not completed. I have some more detail to add, mainly on the chimneys.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 9:59 AM

Beautiful! I love the level of detail, especially on the door. Waiting to see how it will integrate in to the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup