HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 2:41 AM

Hello E.R. .... bear with me on my browsing and posts. I'm trying to navigate and sometimes not finding my way back to the page where I came from. Great photos
posted by yourself a couple of days ago of an odd named store. I never heard of it,
either. (The one with a Paul Revere horseback rider doing his thing out front in 1938).

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 2:49 AM

BEAUTIFUL shot of the admin (?) building at Westlake School For Girls.

I can't tell if thats the new version of the school or the old. Haven't seen it in person since about 1967.

The original owners apparently lost control of the school through legal manuvering and committed suicide in their later years, I think. The "head mistriss" name was Helen. My mother admired that woman.

They used to have a talking bird in the admin lobby that was so used to hearing the receptionist answer the phone that whenever the phone would ring, the bird would speak, "Westlake School For Girls." YAK !

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 2:52 AM

Wow, all these great posts!

Last week, after 3 years of reconstruction, the 1st Street Bridge over the Los Angeles River, connecting Boyle Heights to downtown, was reopened--all lanes of it, that is. The Metro Gold Line extension from Union Station into East LA was opened in 2009, with the rails going over the 1st Street Bridge. However, the Gold Line tracks took over the north half of the bridge, while the south 2 lanes were only for eastbound automobile traffic. The bridge was to be widened to accommodate 2 lanes for westbound automobile traffic, extending the bridge 26 feet north, all while Gold Line trains, eastbound automobile traffic, and trains running beneath the bridge along both sides of the LA river, were to continue running. The reopening was pushed back about a year and a half because of problems with construction and delays. The north railing of the bridge was demolished, and the original decorative arches were saved and moved while the roadway was widened. The north railing was then recreated, with the decorative arches anchored back in place. Even the original street lamps were recreated. The whole bridge has been strengthened to withstand a 7.0 earthquake (I think they should've shot for at least an 8.0 quake). Here's a pictorial history of the bridge.

The original 1st Street Bridge was actually a wooden trestle structure that dated from 1889. This photo dates from 1893. Notice the streetcar, which I assume is actually a cable car, being that I see no overhead trolley wires.

Consin's image from imageshack

Here's the bridge in 1924. Notice the wooden sidewalks.

Auto Club of Southern California

Undated image

LAPL

Undated image

LAPL

By the mid or late 1920s, the bridge was considered antiquated and inadequate, so a new concrete bridge was constructed in a more monumental, "City Beautiful" style (along with other bridges over the LA River). The bridge opened to traffic in 1929. Here it is from a photo dated December 15, 1928, with construction nearing completion.

USC Archive

Here it is after it was completed.

LAPL

LAPL

Look at the soot from the locomotives running benath:

LAPL

Some time in the late 1950s (I think), the original streetlamps were removed, replaced with these. The photo dates from about 1963.

Metro Library Archive

Circa 1963

Metro Library Archive

Here's the bridge in 1986. This is how I remember it looking, before construction for the Gold Line light rail started.

LAPL

I don't know why I was never in the frame of mind to take pictures of the bridge's reconstruction the last 3 years. But today, December 26th, 2011, I took some photos of the now completed, widened and restored, 1st Street Bridge. I like the bridge now. I sorta kinda wish that the lamp posts were used to hold up the catenary wires for the light rail trains, but I guess you can't have everything.

Photo by me

They even recreated the light fixtures in the decorative arches.

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

Photo by me

A few Then and Nows.

1963, looking west towards downtown.

nycsubway.org

December 26, 2011, looking west towards downtown.

Photo by me

Looking east towards Boyle Heights, 1954. The original street lamps were still in place.

USC Archive

Looking east towards Boyle Heights, December 26, 2011. I'd have waited for a train, but I wanted to keep walking. Plus my partner got impatient while waiting for the train to pass by in the other photo.

Photo by me

Night shot, taken December 21, 2011. Photo by me. I thought it had a noirish quality.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 3:04 AM

Excellent essay on the 1st Street Bridge sopas_ej! Fantastic that you went out and took photos of the bridge today.
The original wooden tresle seems so distant that it might as well be from another planet.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 27, 2011 at 3:16 AM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 3:07 AM

Thanks! I took photos of a few other bridges, too, to compare with older photos. Maybe I'll post them another time.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 3:13 AM

That would be great sopas.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 4:01 AM
I Like Turtles!

Central and 49th

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;5513042]An accident at Central Avenue and 49th Street in 1952.

LAPL

below: I am pretty sure these are the same buildings at Central Ave. & 49th St.

goggle street view

This is great. Not only has the building survived, but the narrowly-missed telephone pole as well. If you look at the knot holes in the 1952 pic you'll see they match up perfectly with the current view. I'm not a pole fanatic, but think of all the changes on that block in the last 60 years, while that lonely piece of wood stood watch.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 5:27 AM

A few recent eBay finds:

Santa Monica Blvd. & Western Avenue, 1890

[source: eBay]

Looking down at Hollywood & Vine, 1945 Feb. 9

Hollywood & Vine again, 1981

Noirish view of the Earl Carroll Theater, 1942

Muller Bros. Service Station in Hollywood, 1941 Nov. 28.

Passers-by luxuriating in the idyllic splendor of the Hollywood Freeway just west of the four level interchange, 1963

Aerial view of Hollywood, 1963

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 9:40 PM

New Federal Bldg

I came across this LA Times story about the vacant lot where a proposed new Federal Courthouse may be built. It appears this has been discussed for several years, now one of the State legislators is trying to permanently kill it my selling the land.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov...house-20111104

I thought, though, what a great opportunity if the Fed did build to attempt to mimic some of the older archtecture.

I'm still working my way through this whole Thread, so you all may have already discussed this situation.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 10:34 PM

LAPL

This Victorian extravaganza stood at 414 East 27th Street (southeast corner of Maple) and was the home of prolific L.A. architect Frederick Rice Dorn. It was a huge house for the neighborhood. The block is still one of modest Victorian cottages in a district largely made up the same (one of the most fascinating and unknown parts of L.A., I think), and though they appear to be of the same vintage, they'd have been dwarfed by the house in the picture. Dorn was still listed there in the 1909 CD, though he'd moved to the house still at 1126 Fourth Ave by 1915 and was living there when he died in 1934. Btw, non-residential projects by Dorn include the still-extant Hotel Bristol (nee Woodward) and B.H. Dyas/Broadway-Hollywood, both of which we've seen here recently.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 6, 2013 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2011, 11:58 PM

Ebay

I love the colors in this glass slide currently on Ebay, identified as Figueroa Street ca. 1900.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:32 AM

[QUOTE=sopas ej;4316703]Crime

I find old Los Angeles crimes fascinating. Somehow glamorous, even.
----------------
Responding to a photo series of crime scenes on page 3.

I know its not considered mainstream conversation, but I also find historical
crime scenes very intriguing. I like to look for the specific location such as an address and then go to google street level maps to view the area as it is today.
Sometimes I think I can see the crime scene from a more accurate angle due to modern aerial photos than the police of yesteryear.

Last edited by IAlsoRememberLA; Dec 28, 2011 at 3:34 AM. Reason: location of my post seems to be misplaced. Added page 3.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:40 AM

Shotguns vs. handguns/rifles ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
sopas_ej wrote:
This is a wide angle shot showing Sherry's Restaurant (on the right side) where Mickey Cohen and 3 others were ambushed at 3:45 a.m. in front of the restaurant on the Sunset Strip. Mickey's car drove up to the curb and gunmen (hiding across the street under an advertising sign indicated in the area circled on the left side of the picture) opened fire with shotguns. The gunmen then sped away in a gray auto, tossing out the guns a block away. Mickey was the least seriously wounded. (File date: July 20, 1949)

lapl originally posted by sopas_ej

I thought it was interesting you posted the above pic sopas_ej.
I have three additional photos in my file from the USC archive.
(but I didn't have the one you posted)

above: The would be assassins hid behind this billboard across the street.

above: stray bullet holes.

above: Cohen's car in front of Sherry's.
In the photo above with caption of "stray bullet holes," I have to wonder a couple of things. First, how did the assailants NOT kill their targets while
using shotguns from that range? And, if they were only using shotguns, whats with the large bore holes on the right rear fender of that car. Clearly,
the damage was caused by someone on the assailants side of the street. What a lousy shot !

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:52 AM

Praise !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
Absolutely wonderful finds, all of you!
I totally agree.

I love all these old photos of L.A. I've never seen them before.

The father of a good friend of mine growing up worked at UCLA. I wish he could see the previously posted UCLA photos.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 3:56 AM

Happy 110th Olivet and Sinai!!!

For all of you in or around L.A. this weekend, its celebration time...

From LAist:

It's time to break open the piggy bank or shake out your pants pockets and take your pennies to Downtown L.A. Saturday for 1¢ rides on Angels Flight in honor of the funicular's 110th anniversary.

The fare will be lowered December 31 only to its 1901 opening day fare.

In addition to the penny rides, the two iconic orange rail cars, Olivet and Sinai, have been Tweeting about special 110th anniversary treats and fun in store for Saturday's celebration. $1.00 commemorative tickets are on sale now at the Angels Flight station house; follow @AngelsFlight on Twitter for more info.

The other half and I will be in LA this weekend anyway so we will definitely be joining in on the celebration.

~Jon Paul

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 6:41 AM

Roybal was built to solve all the space needs "for the forseeable future".

Their crystal ball must be murky and not so hot at foresight, as Roybal was built way back in.....

Tell the judges to pound sand. Sell it to someone who might actually build something on it after 40 years. Or better yet.....leave it in stasis....as a permanent memorial to the spectacular gross incompetence that is now The City of Los Angeles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
I came across this LA Times story about the vacant lot where a proposed new Federal Courthouse may be built. It appears this has been discussed for several years, now one of the State legislators is trying to permanently kill it my selling the land.
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/nov...house-20111104

I thought, though, what a great opportunity if the Fed did build to attempt to mimic some of the older archtecture.

I'm still working my way through this whole Thread, so you all may have already discussed this situation.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
LAPL

According to the LAPL, this Victorian extravaganza stood at 414 East 27th Street and was the home of prolific L.A. architect Frederick Rice Dorn. Though Dorn did live at that address and was known for his domestic architecture, I'm a tad skeptical that this enormous house stood on the 400 block of East 27th (not to mention that this looks more like a hotel than a house...). It's still a block of modest Victorian cottages in a district largely made up the same (one of the most fascinating and unknown parts of L.A., I think), and though they appear to be of the same vintage, they'd have been dwarfed by the house in the picture. Anyway, I'm going to have to look for a vintage aerial that might show this big towered place... Dorn was still listed there in the 1909 CD, though he'd moved to the house still at 1126 Fourth Ave by 1915. Btw, non-residential projects by Dorn include the still-extant Hotel Bristol (nee Woodward) and B.H. Dyas/Broadway-Hollywood, both of which we've seen here recently.

This is such an amazing edifice G_W! I hope we find more information about it....and I agree, it seems much too large to be a residence
on East 27th Street.
______

Since G_W mentioned 27th Street I thought I'd post some before/after photos of some of the impressive homes along WEST 27th Street near USC.

The William V. Cockins residence, northwest corner of w. 27th & Hoover in 1980.

LAPL

below: The William Cockins residence today.

google street view

____

Directly across 27th Street from the Cockins residence is the Alfred Salisbury residence.
The address is 2703 S. Hoover Street (at 27th Street).

LAPL

The Alfred Salisbury residence today.

google street view

_____

The J.H. Kiefer residence at 1150 West 27th Street.

LAPL

I was unable to find the Kiefer residence at 1150, but I found this house at 1204 W. 27th Street which I believe is the Kiefer residence.

google street view

google street view

google street view

Is this the Kiefer residence?

_____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 28, 2011 at 7:40 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 7:21 AM

I zero'd in on the plaque at 1204 West 27th Street (Kiefer residence). It seems to say 'Ellis 1204 Island'.

google street view

After many searches I found this obscure reference.

http://lists.topica.com/lists/wednit...&mid=913196358

___

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 28, 2011 at 7:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malumot View Post
Or better yet.....leave it in stasis....as a permanent memorial to the spectacular gross incompetence that is now The City of Los Angeles.
I don't know... I've read every history of Los Angeles I've ever been able to get my hands on, political and otherwise, and don't see that there were really any fewer such civic cockups... nostalgia has a tendency to edit out the unpleasant parts....

Old Posted Dec 28, 2011, 2:02 PM

LAPL

One house on West 27th St that has always intrigued me is that of Frances de Pauw still at 1146. I'd love to find a shot of it before a 1952 fire destroyed what was apparently a large gable on the facade. The pic above is dated 1980. (Btw, the LAPL refers to this address as being in the Westlake neighborhood...don't we have some of its photo curators on board here?) It seems that Ms. de Pauw was a philanthropist with a particular interest in educating Latinas (see Google Books).

USCDL
Circa 1910; attributed to John Austin. The second de Pauw school, seen below, replaced it.
(Unless that's the old building off to the right... the addresses differ in CDs, the first at 4970
Sunset, the second at 4952.)

lapl.org

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos