HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 10:12 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

SEPTA turns to artificial intelligence to scan passengers for potential shooters

https://whyy.org/articles/septa-arti...uns-zero-eyes/

Quote:
New high tech artificial intelligence software is being added to SEPTA’s camera system as part of an effort to make the city’s mass transit more secure.
The system is called Zero Eyes. Acting SEPTA police chief Charles Lawson believes it could help give officers critical seconds to help when a shooter draws a weapon.
“So a human being will receive the alert and verify whether or not it is an actual gun,” Lawson said. “That all takes place before we’re even notified. So it happens seamlessly within a matter of seconds. So once they verify it, we get notified. We’re dispatching police to wherever that gun was brandished.”
The alert will only go out if a gun is taken out in public; the system cannot see a concealed weapon.
Quote:
“It would not alert on a weapon that’s holstered,” he said. “We don’t want it alerting law enforcement all day long. This is a gun on display in someone’s hand, lying alone on the floor, or being dropped. That’s that’s what it’s designed to do.”
The pilot program is expected to begin in January using about 300 of SEPTA’s 30,000 cameras. If it’s deemed successful, the software will be expanded to the entire network of security cameras.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2022, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Cmon y'all Broad St isn't dangerous like that, is this stretch of Broad St rough? Yes no doubt.

But you would have a better chance of being messed with on the blocks behind then this block, also remember in order for this area to continue to improve it will NEED investments like this to change the image, a lot of blackened businesses in this little corridor that help the area, all it needs is further investment.

One reason this area seems more sketchy is the amount of J's and drunks that may hang out and just act out, but the overall area is economically good for the most part.
I second this. This area is nowhere near "ground-zero" level bad. Like you said it's also very active with many businesses. The area has great bones, and transit options, but needs some TLC to lift it up. Hopefully the project can change the Beury building from a "beacon of blight" into a sign of confidence like the Divine Lorraine. One day soon we'll look back on both of them, I'm sure, and think about how insane the idea of not one but two vacant highrises on N Broad St is.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:05 PM
Chris

I suspect this plot will sell and develop quickly.

Northern Liberties development site approved for 7-story apartment project lists for $3.99M

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

A parcel of land at Spring Garden and Front streets already approved for an apartment building with ground-floor retail is being listed for $3.99 million. Pine Silverwood LLC, the owner of the property at 50 Spring Garden St., is asking $3.99 million.

The plans that have received approval call for a seven-story, 62-apartment building with 3,800 square feet of ground-floor retail and 3,300 square feet of amenity space including a roof deck, club room and fitness center. The building, if plans come to fruition, would have 48 one-bedroom apartments and 14 two-bedroom apartments

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:18 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
I suspect this plot will sell and develop quickly.

Northern Liberties development site approved for 7-story apartment project lists for $3.99M

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

A parcel of land at Spring Garden and Front streets already approved for an apartment building with ground-floor retail is being listed for $3.99 million. Pine Silverwood LLC, the owner of the property at 50 Spring Garden St., is asking $3.99 million.

The plans that have received approval call for a seven-story, 62-apartment building with 3,800 square feet of ground-floor retail and 3,300 square feet of amenity space including a roof deck, club room and fitness center. The building, if plans come to fruition, would have 48 one-bedroom apartments and 14 two-bedroom apartments
It was for sale with the same plans and permits last year for $3.5 MM, sold for $3.2 MM, and it looks like the buyer is now trying to flip it for $4 MM without having done much of anything but pay some carrying costs on the property for a year.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:47 PM

I ran the Philadelphia Half Marathon on Saturday, and I have to say: the city looks amazing! We started in Center City and passed through South Philly, West Philly, and North Philly before arriving at the finish line. I live in the city and follow development closely; however, seeing everything rising from ground level is a surreal experience. While just about every resident and visitor knows that Center City and the neighborhoods immediately adjacent to it are thriving, even Mantua and Strawberry Mansion were looking good. I know that Mantua is seeing a lot of investment, but I didn't realize that there are very few derelict properties left along 34th Street. As for Strawberry Mansion, construction was taking place along 33rd Street and Fairmount Park looked nice and clean.

On a completely unrelated note, I noticed pre-construction activity at several properties along North Broad: I saw excavation at the SW corner of Broad and Girard (the former CVS lot), the SE corner of Broad and Poplar (the former gas station), and site prep at the NE corner of Broad and Mt. Vernon (619 North Broad, the former daycare center). While on Ridge, I saw that the last developable property on the 1800 block (Ridge and Ginnodo) recently had foundations poured, an elevator tower rising at the unusual parcel at 1600 Ridge Avenue, and that the Church of the Living God building at 17th and Poplar (1641 Ridge Avenue) is for sale, which should yield a sizeable building with frontage on Ridge, 17th, and Poplar. The building boom in Francisville and along North Broad is still going strong!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Cmon y'all Broad St isn't dangerous like that, is this stretch of Broad St rough? Yes no doubt.

But you would have a better chance of being messed with on the blocks behind then this block, also remember in order for this area to continue to improve it will NEED investments like this to change the image, a lot of black owned businesses in this corridor that help the area, all it needs is further investment.

One reason this area seems more sketchy is the amount of J's and drunks that may hang out and just act out, but the overall area is economically good for the most part.
I agree 100%. I've taken many friends up to Max's via the Broad Street Line well after 1AM and we're all still here. While it looks rough, it's not dangerous--reminiscent of 125th and Lexington or the Grand Concourse and Fordham Road in NYC to me. I believe that the proposed B/G/E redesign by the City, coupled with SEPTA's proposed investment at the Erie BSL stop, will do wonders for the area. I believe that the Courtyard project will serve as a catalyst for continued investment in a neighborhood that is bursting with potential.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I agree 100%. I've taken many friends up to Max's via the Broad Street Line well after 1AM and we're all still here. While it looks rough, it's not dangerous--reminiscent of 125th and Lexington or the Grand Concourse and Fordham Road in NYC to me. I believe that the proposed B/G/E redesign by the City, coupled with SEPTA's proposed investment at the Erie BSL stop, will do wonders for the area. I believe that the Courtyard project will serve as a catalyst for continued investment in a neighborhood that is bursting with potential.
I remember there is a apartment being built around the Broad and Erie area. I'm very excited to see the streets project to improve the pedestrian safety in the area.
I would kill for the 56 trolley to come back and we can introduce more TOD on Erie ave especially at the BSL and MFL stations.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2022, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I think some on this board have incredibly different views on what constitutes "safe."

I completely agree that this intersection is fine. Calling it "ground zero" for violence in Philly is absurd. Generally speaking, more people = more safety and it's bustling with people here, plenty of healthy businesses.

I think this project will be a great success.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 2:17 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
I think some on this board have incredibly different views on what constitutes "safe."

I completely agree that this intersection is fine. Calling it "ground zero" for violence in Philly is absurd. Generally speaking, more people = more safety and it's bustling with people here, plenty of healthy businesses.

I agree with that and I also understand, there is a different safety level perception between Rittenhouse and North.

Yea you could have something happen in both areas at any time, but you're less likely to have something happen in Rittenhouse than Broad & Erie.

But as we notice the economic health of an area will show the health of it's residents.

When the Beury building is rehabbed, it will take a big rock off the shoulder of the area, it will push the needle forward for more redevelopment, but I want to make this clear, the ONLY way we can preserve small businesses and residents from rising costs is to provide some upgrade grants to allow them to keep up with the times, if the city truly cares about it's residents they will help push them up as areas improve and not allow areas to be fully gentrified pushing longtime residents away.

I think Gentrification is a good tool, but it should have been used more to fill the gaps and improve neighborhoods compared to pushing everyone out and moving new people in, yea some areas need to be hazed and rebuilt but not every area needs that treatment for now.

Another good project is that I noticed the plaza across the street is getting a facelift, thats good for people that use that plaza. Hopefully we can start getting some more trees around Broad where we can, I know the BSL below prevents that but maybe we can use big planters or fake trees

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:30 AM

Super behind on posting these photos, but I was visiting last month (10/29/2022) and was able to snap a few photos.

Ridge & Merrick in East Falls

South Triangle at Germantown, Dauphin & 7th

NW Corner of 13th & Buttonwood in Callowhill

SE Corner of 13th & Buttonwood in Callowhill Looks like a foundation going in - not sure the size of the building though.

NW Corner of Vine & 12th

Not the best photos, but hope you all enjoy some small updates.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCentralPA View Post
]
South Triangle at Germantown, Dauphin & 7th

Wow. I lived at 12th and Dauphin going to Temple 10 years ago. It's wild to see development closing in from Temple and the river wards. I had walked between them in the past and I'm sure this area is going to explode

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Wow. I lived at 12th and Dauphin going to Temple 10 years ago. It's wild to see development closing in from Temple and the river wards. I had walked between them in the past and I'm sure this area is going to explode
I graduated from Temple in 2018. Prior to the Fall 2017 semester, I lived at home for a short while and would take the Regional Rail to campus. Everything to the east of campus used to look derelict and lifeless when looking out the window of the train. I also found very few reasons to head east of campus, aside from walking to Fishtown.

It is amazing how fast Ludlow, Harntraft, and Norris Square have been developing. I frequently walk through those neighborhoods to visit my favorite brewery, Human Robot, as well as to visit Fishtown. Each time I walk the streets of those neighborhoods, I always see a new development that wasn't there before. I fully believe that everything between Front, Broad, Spring Garden, and Lehigh will be at least somewhat desirable, and that Germantown Avenue will return to its former role of being a commercial corridor.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 9:40 PM

CDR is up, but nothing new or exciting.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaNerd View Post
I remember there is a apartment being built around the Broad and Erie area. I'm very excited to see the streets project to improve the pedestrian safety in the area.
I would kill for the 56 trolley to come back and we can introduce more TOD on Erie ave especially at the BSL and MFL stations.
56 isnt coming back- there is no depot for such a trolley to be housed anymore. Septa left the old Luzerne district in the 90s and that was equipped to store and maintain trolleys.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post

One thing people need to accept is that the appearance of the neighborhood is barely linked with safety at this point- people are getting robbed or carjacked in places like center city, fishtown, brewerytown, the NE, etc. So things can happen almost anywhere in this city, its not confined to areas that simply look bad. Just saw story on fox29 about a guy who tried to attack and steal a bike from another guy in Old City. And there was the recent article about rampant bike theft in the city. Stuff is happening all over. Broad and Erie isnt likely more dangerous than any other major intersection in North or West Philly. There just isnt much around that location outside of Temple Hospital and Shriners, there isnt a lot of activity up there right now or much in the way of places to eat.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 1:45 PM

Philadelphia Contemporary Update

Exciting update about the Philadelphia Contemporary:

https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...ce-street-pier

More renders from the architect's website:

https://www.aosarchitects.com/case-s...porary-gallery

Need to learn how to embed photos...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
One thing people need to accept is that the appearance of the neighborhood is barely linked with safety at this point- people are getting robbed or carjacked in places like center city, fishtown, brewerytown, the NE, etc. So things can happen almost anywhere in this city, its not confined to areas that simply look bad. Just saw story on fox29 about a guy who tried to attack and steal a bike from another guy in Old City. And there was the recent article about rampant bike theft in the city. Stuff is happening all over. Broad and Erie isnt likely more dangerous than any other major intersection in North or West Philly. There just isnt much around that location outside of Temple Hospital and Shriners, there isnt a lot of activity up there right now or much in the way of places to eat.
I mean. This is an exaggeration.

Is there crime everywhere? Yes.

Are you safer at 23rd & Cambria than you are at Berks and Gaul? LOL NO. Give me a break.

You sound like Leonard Leo and Ronald Lauder.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:07 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post

Need to learn how to embed photos...
And another write-up from Stephan Salisbury at the Inquirer.

Philadelphia Contemporary plans seafaring gallery on the Delaware River | Inquirer

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 2:38 PM

Philly announces new safety improvement work on Market Street in Center City

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philly...-20221122.html

(Article isn't very clear, but I think they're starting work on this?)

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post

I checked out that architect's website and also noticed some really nice renderings for a Fleisher Art Memorial expansion in their parking lot across the street. Fleisher is a really cool art school between 7th and 8th on Catharine.

https://www.aosarchitects.com/case-s...r-art-memorial

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development