HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3481  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 4:40 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,172
An airside connection to T5 would be nice but it's not necessary since most people will be traveling on the same alliance. Anybody who is not will more than likely know to leave extra connection time to re-clear at another terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3482  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2022, 10:03 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Maybe the cases of people traveling on Southwest only to catch a United flight to Munich may be rare, but I know I've logged such trips before. As long as you ask any travelers to make cumbersome multi-hour connections it can't be considered a first class airport.
This use case is applicable to like 0.01% of passenger throughput and almost no airport of O'Hares size makes this easy nor should they prioritize that. If there was demand for it the city could easily run airside shuttle busses connecting T3 to T5. There is no such demand. I also doubt the airline alliances are keen on making this easier.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3483  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 3:42 PM
Roy_Batty Roy_Batty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbud View Post
Unless the plan changed, the people mover was not part of the satellite 1 and satellite 2 plan. When the project was announced I thought it was crazy. They were going to put the train tunnel in, but not the people mover until the way out future when they add additional satellites. The reason as always was cost. Not only would the walks be awful, but what a poor experience for Chicago. Imagine arriving at the end of the new satellite 2 and have to walk to B16. I hope this execution changed, but I’ve seen nothing on this being part of the plan.
That’s a bummer. This is supposed to be a decade long project, so whenever we come to the time when planning for new satellites is necessary, that’s gonna be 20/30 years? Hard to think you will compete with Atlanta without the people mover connecting the satellites with the global terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3484  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 6:50 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,890
Arrived at T5 the other day from St. Maarten, gated at M33 (very far end), and while the walk was indeed long it wasn't really out of the ordinary. The tunnel I thought was pretty modern/nice looking, just needs a little flair of color/decor here and there. It'll age better than the new T1/T2/T3 tunnels connecting to the Blue Line. There were multiple staff politely guiding people where to go. Lines were all short. Lightfoot announcements continue to be cringe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3485  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2022, 9:37 PM
Roy_Batty Roy_Batty is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 14
^ Are you referring to the tunnel/hallway that connects the new T5 extension with the old T5 building? I wouldn’t really call that a tunnel though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3486  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 3:44 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
^ Are you referring to the tunnel/hallway that connects the new T5 extension with the old T5 building? I wouldn’t really call that a tunnel though.
No, the sterile corridor you take when arriving from an international destination to get to the customs area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3487  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 3:50 PM
Chicago29 Chicago29 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Arrived at T5 the other day from St. Maarten, gated at M33 (very far end), and while the walk was indeed long it wasn't really out of the ordinary. The tunnel I thought was pretty modern/nice looking, just needs a little flair of color/decor here and there. It'll age better than the new T1/T2/T3 tunnels connecting to the Blue Line. There were multiple staff politely guiding people where to go. Lines were all short. Lightfoot announcements continue to be cringe.
I actually flew out of M33 the other day, first time going to T5 in almost two decades. With virtually no memory of what T5 was like before, I was very disappointed. That is what O'Hare got out of its 'newest' terminal? Narrow walking space upon entering at arrivals. No clear signage on where to find security. Security itself is dark and feels cramped, with basically no space to gather your belongings after which is needed in post-9/11 TSA travel. Cramped and LOUD carpeted concourse, except at the annex.

The annex is a vast improvement over the rest of T5, even if it feels like a rushed C- grade design of an architect trying to poorly copy every other large-ceiling 21st century airport design. The physical space and natural light make everything feel relaxed and bright, a stark contrast to the rest of T5. But the annex just feels weird in comparison to the rest of T5 because there is no flow between them. It's obviously better to have more modern space than not, but overall this may be a theme of new O'Hare circa-2035; great to be upsized to meet 21st century travel demands in gates and new expected amenities, however all of O'Hare will have a hodgepodge Frankenstein feel of misfit connected parts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3488  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2022, 10:27 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago29 View Post
I actually flew out of M33 the other day, first time going to T5 in almost two decades. With virtually no memory of what T5 was like before, I was very disappointed. That is what O'Hare got out of its 'newest' terminal? Narrow walking space upon entering at arrivals. No clear signage on where to find security. Security itself is dark and feels cramped, with basically no space to gather your belongings after which is needed in post-9/11 TSA travel. Cramped and LOUD carpeted concourse, except at the annex.

The annex is a vast improvement over the rest of T5, even if it feels like a rushed C- grade design of an architect trying to poorly copy every other large-ceiling 21st century airport design. The physical space and natural light make everything feel relaxed and bright, a stark contrast to the rest of T5. But the annex just feels weird in comparison to the rest of T5 because there is no flow between them. It's obviously better to have more modern space than not, but overall this may be a theme of new O'Hare circa-2035; great to be upsized to meet 21st century travel demands in gates and new expected amenities, however all of O'Hare will have a hodgepodge Frankenstein feel of misfit connected parts.
Nothing in T5 is complete except for the Delta gates and lounge. Even the annex portion is missing all of the concessions and many finishing touches.

Agree that O'Hare is definitely a hodgepodge Frankenstein though, and I don't see that getting much better until the whole revamp is complete in ~10 years. Completing the project without reducing capacity/impacting operations just necessitates everything be done piecemeal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3489  
Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 11:40 AM
twister244 twister244 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Nothing in T5 is complete except for the Delta gates and lounge. Even the annex portion is missing all of the concessions and many finishing touches.

Agree that O'Hare is definitely a hodgepodge Frankenstein though, and I don't see that getting much better until the whole revamp is complete in ~10 years. Completing the project without reducing capacity/impacting operations just necessitates everything be done piecemeal.
That and we need to remember that T5 is not going to be the main hub of international activity - The Global Terminal will be. The remainder of T5 can always be upgraded down the road after everything else is complete. I would rather see more effort into getting the new Global terminal and sats right than spending too much time on T5.

My only gripe continues to be the security checkpoints, but I still suspect that is still being worked on (as with concessions, etc).
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:18 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.