Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
thanks! are you a student at U chicago?
Yes I'm a student at the University.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 9:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazfingr View Post
In 1956, the visionary architect Frank Lloyd Wright sketched out plans for The Illinois, a mile-high skyscraper that would accommodate 100,000 people, parking for 15,000 cars and enough office space to house the entire state government. Sheathed in aluminum and stainless steel, Wright's 528-story edifice could have been built, he believed, with available technology. But a significant barrier stood in the way: the required elevators would have taken up too much space.

The Illinois does exist thanks to Skidmore, Owings and Merrill...though in a much less visionary form- Burj Dubai.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 4:57 PM
BANNED

^^^ That's not even funny, don't even place those two buildings in the same post.

Haha, no, but really, The Illinois is too cool for school.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 5:20 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

agreed.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post

(see previous posts for image sources)
Oh my. that building is soo San Francisco. what a shame! white like trans america and woulda been a new tallest the city. SF needs some height to compete with the current boom.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2008, 12:33 PM
All aboard the Failboat

My thought when I saw that Mossdorf was Oh my god, that is soooooo racist I'm glad that never got thrust on chicago, it would have been a huge embarassment.

Adrian, while I don't like many of the same buildings that you like, I respect your opinions and your love of styles that ar bold and groundbreaking.
I love that tower in Chicago, the Zhong Bang Village, and the Hudson Yards Proposal, that said I also really like Ivana Trump's proposal, Clooney's Idea was a solid one, and I absolutley loved those two Miami styled towers.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2008, 7:09 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:21 AM
BANNED

HL23
NEIL DENARI

Developed by Alf Naman and currently in construction, HL23 is a 14 floor condominium tower that responds to a unique and challenging site directly adjacent to the High Line at 23rd street in New York's West Chelsea Arts district. Partially impacted by a spur from the elevated tracks that make up the High Line superstructure, the site is 40' x 99' at the ground floor. The site and the developer demanded a specific response, yielding a project that is a natural merger between found and given parameters and architectural ambition. For the client, the question was how to expand the possible built floor area of a restricted zoning envelope. For the site, a supple geometry must be found to allow a larger building to stand in very close proximity to the elevated park of the High Line. Together, the demands produced a building with one unit per floor and three distinct yet coherent facades, a rarity in Manhattan's block structure.

With a custom non-spandrel curtainwall on the south and north facades, and a 3D stainless steel panel facade on the east facing the High Line, the project's geometry is driven by challenges to the zoning envelope on the site and by NMDA's interest in achieving complexity through simple tectonic operations.

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2008, 4:41 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

^^^ The end is nice, but whats with the diseased little insert between the end tower and the other buildings? The little kitschy shapes are simply more irrationalism.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 3:51 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

While we're at it, the High Line (abutting the Denari Condo tower) is an awesome proposal - so good in fact that I can't quite believe it is actually going ahead.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2008, 4:33 PM

^ Why had I not heard of the high line before now? What a fantastic project!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2008, 6:36 AM
BANNED

//alsop
//birdhouse
Video Link

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 11:19 AM
BANNED

Last edited by Tom Servo; Apr 18, 2008 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 11:22 AM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 30, 2008, 3:51 PM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
this thread is losing steam
Keep em coming
I mightn't agree with all your choices but they're all interesting, I visit the thread every day

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 12:07 AM

This proposal will be a great asset to the Moscow City development trend! It's beyond marvelous! for Wedding Palace

Source: http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...&upload_id=336

And here is Moscow City after completion!

Source: http://www.moscowtravelguide365.com/...ity/picture63/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 8:03 PM

And how could I forget Dubai's The Cube!

Source: http://www.dubai-propertyagents.com/

Source: http://www.outnext.com/on/real_estate/index.html

Old Posted Mar 31, 2008, 8:34 PM
BANNED

neil denari project is very nice, an inverted pyramid to find a space in narrow base side at bridge, but not pushing bridge away, very clean as well.
The Moscow one, oh man this DNA is getting great in the wonderful area.
The Cube Dubai,,, a modern version what Babylon suspend gardens could not make so wonderful...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 1:43 AM

Adrian, I'm a bit new here, but I saw a post in this thread where you are denouncing Ghery and talking about how much you love Koolhas.

Might I ask what school you're a student at, or were at?

If you are still in school, please let me know when you make it into some classes that talk about constructibility.

While I am personally not a fan of Ghery, I have a tremendous respect for his design process, as he has an amazing grasp on constructibility, designing everything in three dimensions so that he knows how it will have to be put together and with what materials.

Koolhas on the other hand, is a joke. He initially wanted the tube around the CTA tracks at IIT to be solid stainless steel, and couldn't possibly understand why whis would be a bad idea. No thought to the cost, no thought to the structure, no thought to the notion of the fact that the DC current could arc to the steel, down through to the brushed stainless steel floor, and kill everyone inside the building. He also thought it was a good idea to enclose that tube with no thought to the absolute cannon blast of sound that would create in either direction. For no particular reason he also thought it would be a good idea to put a bunch of exterior grade plywood on a roof that is not accessible to anyone, for decoration, without understanding the amount of roof penetrations it would create, or why screwing a bunch of plywood through the roofing membrane would make it leak. Then he wanted to clad the exterior fascia with Formica, which in case you don't know, is just a brand of plastic laminate over particle board used for cheap countertops. He thought this would be weather tight. No regard for the way the glue would react to heat from the sun or freeze/thaw.

I attended IIT during that monstrosity's construction. Jahn's proposal was perfect for the site, though Eisenman's was my personal favorite, and nobody but a few morons high up in the school liked Koolhas' abortion, and only for the fact it had the tube to "best incorporate the CTA." To top everything off, after the consulting contractors value engineered his designs to a reasonable level of constructibility, holding his hand like a little baby taking its first steps, the building was STILL double the school's budget and McCormick and the Tribune Co. had to bail the school out with the rest of the money.

You cannot imagine how happy I was to watch Jahn's State Street Village go up across the street as a testament to how a purposeful building can still be gorgeous. He even incorporated the CTA line better than Koolhas could have dreamed of. That building, despite the actual apartments inside, in my personal opinion of comfort, being of gulag quality, was a triumph for the school and the ultimate thumb of the nose to Koolhas.

I hope you can understand that I am trying to point out to you that architecture must be so much more than just piling shapes together.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2008, 2:41 AM
BANNED

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture