HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

375 East Wacker Drive in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 3:42 AM
TL;DR

Glad to see that the Arqui building is still a go. I wonder how sales are progressing at LSE?

The stuff those guys have put up in Miami is completely awesome... We're already developing a pretty tropical-looking zone over in LSE, in terms of architecture.

I hope Loewenberg gives the signature tower at Wacker/LSD to Arquitectonica, when that site gets developed. 375 East Wacker will be a monster, so it'll take awhile after it's built before Magellan sells enough units in that tower to move on.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I hope Loewenberg gives the signature tower at Wacker/LSD to Arquitectonica, when that site gets developed.
That made me think of a general problem we theoretically could see if a sufficient recovery doesn't arrive for a couple years - how much dismantling of design firms might there be over time? The giant ones will likely stay intact, retain most of their best talent, and can re-hire as necessary, but I'm not sure how large Arquitectonica is. If enough time passes, a lot of projects, and a lot of the designer landscape, may find itself starting from scratch. That could be a good thing in some cases, or it could be not so good, if say the person who designed 375 Wacker departs Arquitectonica and the remaining (say, less talented) people re-design it for ego or other reasons.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2010, 6:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
That made me think of a general problem we theoretically could see if a sufficient recovery doesn't arrive for a couple years - how much dismantling of design firms might there be over time? The giant ones will likely stay intact, retain most of their best talent, and can re-hire as necessary, but I'm not sure how large Arquitectonica is. If enough time passes, a lot of projects, and a lot of the designer landscape, may find itself starting from scratch. That could be a good thing in some cases, or it could be not so good, if say the person who designed 375 Wacker departs Arquitectonica and the remaining (say, less talented) people re-design it for ego or other reasons.
Yeah, that's always a risk. However, if the original designer/design team documented their ideas properly, then somebody should be able to pick up and continue.

Arquitectonica in particular is a firm that has expanded heavily overseas, with offices in East Asia and Dubai. They also have a New York and LA office in addition to their original Miami office. I assume the biggest downsizing would probably occur as those fledgling offices are consolidated, and so forth.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2010, 3:12 AM
Content provider

I had all but forgotten this

Old Posted Jul 10, 2010, 1:18 AM

I love this building. It's distinctive and situated perfectly in Chicago's "postcard" skyline.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 5:14 PM

This building is really unique, It would be a sin for it not to be built.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:00 PM

its a giant block with a hole in the middle.... it been dead for a while...

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
its a giant block with a hole in the middle.... it been dead for a while...
Its not dead, just not happening until the market turns around again!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 7:36 PM

actually im glad its not getting built as of yet. ive always been a fan of the shape though i think more thought could go into the facade.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 8:54 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

I seem to recall having heard through the grapevine that Magellan had ditched the AQ design for this site? But perhaps I am wrong about this....

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:10 AM
Ω

I really want this to come back. It has such a Chicago style to it.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2011, 8:49 AM

So is this permanently stalled? Has the design been scrapped?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 4:49 AM

In a recent statement Magellan stated that they are planning to break ground on the next LSE tower next year, does anyone know if they are talking about this site or this plan?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:47 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

That might be referring to the tower on parcel A.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 2:49 PM
BANNED

No, the statement he was referring to was made in a press release about that building (The Coast) breaking ground.

I think it is unlikely that they were referring to this tower. It would seem awfully ambitious to take on a project of this size in this market even if the design were converted to apartments.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2011, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
No, the statement he was referring to was made in a press release about that building (The Coast) breaking ground.

I think it is unlikely that they were referring to this tower. It would seem awfully ambitious to take on a project of this size in this market even if the design were converted to apartments.
Yeah I assumed it would be a pretty big risk considering the economy but I figured that maybe it could be an option since the rental market is so hot right now, especially the rental market in Lake Shore East. The east side of the development has a few parcels remaining along LSD, maybe those will be next to be developed?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 11:30 PM
The Hero we deserve

could someone explain the approving process for me

Old Posted Nov 27, 2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoisepic View Post
could someone explain the approving process for me
Certain sites are zoned for a certain density.

A developer comes in with a proposal. If that proposal is less than existing zoning i.e. height of the building or number of units, the project is considered as of right.

THere are height thresh-holds that can automatically trigger a PD (planned development) even if there are less units than what's allowed.

There's a back and forth with the city, developers, lawyers and sometimes neighborhood groups.

The project goes before the Chicago Plan Commission then Council on Zoning then the City Council.

Zoning isn't something that's set in stone, but it's a base to work from.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 11:14 PM
The Hero we deserve

thanks alot. So my final questions are ....... Any news on this building??? Is the Coast the Last lakeshore east building?????

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 12:07 AM
The Hero we deserve

Is it likely we will see this building be constructed in the future?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive