HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Wilshire Grand Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 8:42 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Thanks for passing along that information.

Bummer about the height reduction. This won't crack 1,000 feet even with the spire. I guess this can no longer be considered a "supertall" and therefore the thread should be moved.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:12 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryTower View Post
Gentlemen, just spoke with my friend who happens to be the former general manager for this project. Roof height will be around 920ish with the crown nearing 970. The spire will easily surpass Library's roof. There will be a helicopter landing pad, but a 20 by 20 foot bs version to get around building codes. 70th floor lobby is confirmed. Construction will take two years and start second quarter 2014. Korean Air nearly pulled out, but they're here to stay.

BTW he also said that the curtain wall on the new Marriot ritz carlton next to la live is of poor quality, it's hard to sleep with the sound of the harbor fwy all night long.

Should be a fantastic new addition to the LA skyline that won't detract from Library's boldness, only maybe from the west.
How former? Perhaps these plans are not up-to-date? All newer renders do not show any helicopter pad, while all old ones do. Perhaps he was the general manager for the older iteration, and not the newest one?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post

Bummer about the height reduction. This won't crack 1,000 feet even with the spire. I guess this can no longer be considered a "supertall" and therefore the thread should be moved.
Quote:
Gentlemen, just spoke with my friend who happens to be the former general manager for this project. Roof height will be around 920ish with the crown nearing 970. The spire will easily surpass Library's roof.
Library Tower is 1018 feet, no?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:18 PM

I'm suspicious about the info too. A crown of less than 50' is not congruous with any of the renderings we've seen to date.

It also doesn't jibe with the developer's recent email which said basically "slightly shorter than 1,250'."

On the other hand, it does jibe with the earlier rumor that the developer didn't want a tallest. And I do like the apparently quicker timeline. I had been reading 2017 for completion.

Last edited by Dale; Feb 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I'm suspicious about the info too. A crown of less than 50' is not congruous with any of the renderings we've seen to date.

It also doesn't jibe with the developer's recent email which said basically "slightly shorter than 1,250'."

On the other hand, it does jibe with the earlier rumor that the developer didn't want a tallest. And I do like the apparently quicker timeline. I had been reading 2017 for completion.
I've read 2016 for completion, 2017 for opening.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 6:35 PM

Quote:

Read his comment more carefully; he said the spire will "easily" surpass the US Bank's roof height.

Which means it will still be over 1000' and therefore, this thread does NOT need to be moved.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:06 PM

As I see my comments have caused so form of controversy, let me elaborate:

The source of my info is from Mr. Brad Carpenter the former GM of the Wilshire Grand project, he left this job 3 weeks ago and is negotiating with SOM concerning a new project in NY. His info is accurate as of 3 weeks ago and I'm quoting him. Message me if you have a specific question and I can email him.
That said, the spire will be considerably taller than 1018 ft (height of the USBT) but shorter than 1250 ft, yet it has the same issue as 1WTC in that it's an antenna that's integrated into the design. It hasn't been finalized. CTBUH's choice on whether 1WTC's "spire" counts towards height will greatly influence this choice.
The height of the crown will be around 970ft, still not supertall status if the spire/antenna doesn't count towards height.
The roof (about 70 stories) will be in the low 900's, most likely 920. They're still finalizing the crown design so these rendering's aren't 100% accurate just yet.
Completion will be late 2016 or early 2017.
The lobby will be on the 70th floor.
I was confused about the heli pad too as I hadn't seen it in any renderings. They got around building code by inserting a small 20 by 20 landing pad much smaller than the std. 50 by 50 one. It can be landed on in a pinch but the point is that it's quite hard to see in renderings that haven't even been finalized. Just know that the fire department was able to compromise.

Thanks, and just send me any questions and I'll email then to Mr. Carpenter.

cheers

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:09 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

My bad. I read "crown" and thought "spire" for some reason. Glad I was wrong.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:17 PM

Quote:
My bad. I read "crown" and thought "spire" for some reason. Glad I was wrong.
So am I! haha

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
As I see my comments have caused so form of controversy, let me elaborate:

The source of my info is from Mr. Brad Carpenter the former GM of the Wilshire Grand project, he left this job 3 weeks ago and is negotiating with SOM concerning a new project in NY. His info is accurate as of 3 weeks ago and I'm quoting him. Message me if you have a specific question and I can email him.
That said, the spire will be considerably taller than 1018 ft (height of the USBT) but shorter than 1250 ft, yet it has the same issue as 1WTC in that it's an antenna that's integrated into the design. It hasn't been finalized. CTBUH's choice on whether 1WTC's "spire" counts towards height will greatly influence this choice.
The height of the crown will be around 970ft, still not supertall status if the spire/antenna doesn't count towards height.
The roof (about 70 stories) will be in the low 900's, most likely 920. They're still finalizing the crown design so these rendering's aren't 100% accurate just yet.
Completion will be late 2016 or early 2017.
The lobby will be on the 70th floor.
I was confused about the heli pad too as I hadn't seen it in any renderings. They got around building code by inserting a small 20 by 20 landing pad much smaller than the std. 50 by 50 one. It can be landed on in a pinch but the point is that it's quite hard to see in renderings that haven't even been finalized. Just know that the fire department was able to compromise.

Thanks, and just send me any questions and I'll email then to Mr. Carpenter.

cheers
Thanks for checking back. Any confirmation of the earlier rumor that the developer feared building a new tallest ?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:24 PM

Quote:
So what changes depending on how CTBUH rules? Would they shorten the Wilshire Grand spire? Eliminate it altogether?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 10:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
This won't crack 1,000 feet even with the spire. I guess this can no longer be considered a "supertall" and therefore the thread should be moved.
Even at half that height, there would be no reason to move the thread.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:48 PM

That's dissapointing, you always think downtown LA is destined for skyscraper greatness but never quite makes it. That said, a 1,000+ with antenna is still a signfiicant addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2013, 11:52 PM

anything with a roof height of 900 feet and antenna ( or spire) of 1000+ will help L.A. even if it was 800 feet id be impressed lol its not like l.a. gets one of these every other year..

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 3:51 AM

Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but the spires/antennas of WTC and wilshire grand are two completely different things. The reason why the council on tall buildings may not count WTC's spire in that buildings total height is because it will actually be a functional broadcast antenna. It's not just a decorative spire. There will be radio and TV programs originating from the WTC building. It's the same reason they don't count the Sears Tower antennas. Unless Korean air decided to get into broadcasting business, they got nothing to worry about (if they actually decide to go ahead with the spire design).

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:46 AM

so that means the average floor height is about 13.1 ft. Why did they choose lower roof heights than the US Bank Tower?aprox. how tall will the spire be?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 5:50 AM

I am suspicious that the crown is only 50 ft tall the recent renders indicate a much taller crown, also that they have a lower roof height than most towers judging that it is aiming at leed certification, making them want to build taller roof heights to allow more sunlight in and reduce the electrical use.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
I am suspicious that the crown is only 50 ft tall the recent renders indicate a much taller crown, also that they have a lower roof height than most towers judging that it is aiming at leed certification, making them want to build taller roof heights to allow more sunlight in and reduce the electrical use.
recent renderings are nearly impossible to use for accurate info. It hasn't been finalized and the design of the upper portion of the building could RADICALLY change over the next few months as the finalization date comes. Again, my info is quoted by the former GM, not theorized by glancing at renderings. That said, I was surprised to hear the crown would be so short. They're expecting Leed silver or above.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Not that it matters much in the grand scheme of things, but the spires/antennas of WTC and wilshire grand are two completely different things. The reason why the council on tall buildings may not count WTC's spire in that buildings total height is because it will actually be a functional broadcast antenna. It's not just a decorative spire. There will be radio and TV programs originating from the WTC building. It's the same reason they don't count the Sears Tower antennas. Unless Korean air decided to get into broadcasting business, they got nothing to worry about (if they actually decide to go ahead with the spire design).
Apparently Korean Air IS applying for a broadcasting permit from the Wilshire Grand. if it's approved the whole spire will be considerably different than the ones you see in the renderings.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2013, 8:37 AM

Quote:
Gentlemen, just spoke with my friend who happens to be the former general manager for this project. Roof height will be around 920ish with the crown nearing 970. The spire will easily surpass Library's roof. There will be a helicopter landing pad, but a 20 by 20 foot bs version to get around building codes. 70th floor lobby is confirmed. Construction will take two years and start second quarter 2014. Korean Air nearly pulled out, but they're here to stay.

BTW he also said that the curtain wall on the new Marriot ritz carlton next to la live is of poor quality, it's hard to sleep with the sound of the harbor fwy all night long.

Should be a fantastic new addition to the LA skyline that won't detract from Library's boldness, only maybe from the west.
Good to know. I just dislike the fact that LA is getting a new tallest via spire, and not by roof or crown. At 970 to the "real" top of the building though, it will definitely stand out as #2. Then again, I don't think the location is really appropriate for a tower to surpass Library's height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive