HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 8:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD_Phil View Post
Less than 10 feet per floor? I know residential floors are shorter than commercial floors but, does this seem low to anyone else?
That was my first question as well.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Less than 10 feet per floor? I know residential floors are shorter than commercial floors but, does this seem low to anyone else?
Here in DC, perhaps because of the Height Act restrictions, 9-10 feet per floor is pretty standard.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:10 PM

Quote:
I also wondered about that. It seems to be a fair standard these days that each floor count (including a parking podium) starting from the lobby to the top of roof, average around 11.00-11.8 ft/floor.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2014, 11:14 PM

i drove past universal city today and saw a tower crane, i was thinking it was for the expansion but wasn't entirely sure, can someone please clarify?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
Weren't there a couple of residents complaining about losing their views? I forget what project it was specifically but we briefly mentioned the article.
Yeah, it was somewhere in South Park.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losangelesnative View Post
i drove past universal city today and saw a tower crane, i was thinking it was for the expansion but wasn't entirely sure, can someone please clarify?
wizarding world of harry potter

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 11:05 PM

awesome thanks!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 2:46 AM

Developer plans walkable neighborhood in Newport Beach

We stayed in Newport, by John Wayne airport in October, and this area is currently extemely auto-oriented. Some of Newport Beach, especially Corona del Mar and the Newport Peninsula is fairly walkable. Newport Center/Fashion Island could also be a decent area if 2-3 high-rise residential buildings were built.

Developer plans walkable neighborhood in Newport Beach
Uptown Newport Village will replace two industrial buildings with a walkable neighborhood of shops, restaurants, parks and upscale housing.

By Roger Vincent
March 12, 2014
LA Times

"Newport Beach, one of Southern California's most affluent cities, is about to transform an industrial area near John Wayne Airport into a distinctly urban community of homes and shops.

Uptown Newport Village will replace a pair of aging industrial buildings on 25 acres near the airport with a walkable neighborhood of shops, restaurants, parks and upscale homes and apartments, according to Shopoff Group, an Irvine developer.

Mayor Rush N. Hill, who is an architect, said he is excited about the project and pleased that it will be a dense neighborhood by local standards…."

http://www.latimes.com/business/real...#axzz2vo3Cm7f2

Old Posted Mar 13, 2014, 5:05 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ It's basically Playa Vista -- an isolated, self-contained, "urban" community bounded by an office park on one side and a major arterial thoroughfare on the other.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 1:20 PM

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...tre-going.html

Across the street from the Hollywood Palladium. 217 apartments above 51,000 sq ft of retail. Renderings do seem to contradict one another, though.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 2:33 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

The renderings definitely contradict themselves. Not really sold on the design, or rather the layout and massing of the building as it relates to the theater, but I like the idea of developing over and around the theater. I think they could do a much better job on the design. Right now it looks like a bad 80's office building, and does nothing to incorporate the streamline moderne elements of the theater itself.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 1:44 AM

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ic_theater.php

Scratch that. Curbed LA was able to get ahold of the developer, who says that the above rendering is no longer current. Plans now call for just 200 apartments and 4,700 square feet of retail.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 2:00 AM
BANNED

how does 51,000 sq ft of retail shrink down to 4,700 sq ft? many of the units are moved to the ground floor?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:16 AM

The Vermont is making it into the home stretch. It looks like all of the street trees have been planted, and workers have been rebuilding the sidewalks along Vermont Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard. I still don't like the huge garage, but I think most people will be very happy with the wider sidewalks and the many trees that they've planted.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:23 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Is the sidewalk wider because they actually widened it or because the building is set back farther from the street?

It's really unfortunate that they're not going to cover up the entire podium with glass. It could've looked pretty nice actually, for a parking podium at least.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 5:32 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
This could be another TCA-designed 7-story "shitbox" for all we know, but this is yet another win for the neighborhood. Hollywood is really starting to blossom. Hopefully that strip mall across from Columbia Square is next.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
^ Is the sidewalk wider because they actually widened it or because the building is set back farther from the street?
I probably could've been clearer. It's just a further setback, so nothing too unusual, but the Vermont Avenue side looks like it'll be one of the widest sidewalks around in this part of the city.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muji View Post
The Vermont is making it into the home stretch. It looks like all of the street trees have been planted, and workers have been rebuilding the sidewalks along Vermont Avenue and Wilshire Boulevard. I still don't like the huge garage, but I think most people will be very happy with the wider sidewalks and the many trees that they've planted.

Ugh. If this is close to what the final design looks like, I take back everything I said about the Vermont actually doing a good job on the podium. If it were all in glass like it seemed it was going, it woulda looked great. But this just looks awful. And on one of the city's most important intersections. Vom.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2014, 9:57 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
This could be another TCA-designed 7-story "shitbox" for all we know, but this is yet another win for the neighborhood. Hollywood is really starting to blossom. Hopefully that strip mall across from Columbia Square is next.
We have renderings, and know it will be designed by San Fran architects NC2, so it won't be a TCA shitbox.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2014, 12:28 AM

on the vermont's website it has an opening of may 2014

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations