HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 11:53 PM

Nice looking development. Great infill.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 11:31 AM
Cap the Cut!

Agree that it's a nice looking building. Am I missing it or is there no price list yet? I noticed on viewpoint this morning that another Agricola West unit has sold over asking which seems to the trend in that building. ...sold for close to $700 a sq. ft. Listings at NRTH are over $800 /sq. ft. With all the amenities offered in this building and it's central location are we talking $1k + /sq. ft.?

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Definitely an interesting design on this. Urban Capital is quickly becoming one of my favourite developers.
They build good stuff with trendy but timeless design. Bought a place in Ottawa from them off spec and it's done well. They do like to build in marginal areas. It's not guaranteed an area gets better it can also get worse even with lots of residents around.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Agree that it's a nice looking building. Am I missing it or is there no price list yet? I noticed on viewpoint this morning that another Agricola West unit has sold over asking which seems to the trend in that building. ...sold for close to $700 a sq. ft. Listings at NRTH are over $800 /sq. ft. With all the amenities offered in this building and it's central location are we talking $1k + /sq. ft.?
They advertised units starting at $339,900 and units start at 465 sqft. NRTH was $324,900 and 536 sqft for comparison.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijoma View Post
They advertised units starting at $339,900 and units start at 465 sqft. NRTH was $324,900 and 536 sqft for comparison.
What would the typical size of an average downtown Halifax hotel room, for comparison? 300-400 sf?

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
What would the typical size of an average downtown Halifax hotel room, for comparison? 300-400 sf?
I've never stayed in a Halifax hotel room, but the hotel rooms I've stayed in elsewhere have probably been closer to 200 sqft. 300-400 sqft sounds like a very ritzy hotel room to me. The first studio apartment I rented was 260 sqft and that had a decent kitchen space and still easily had space for a queen bed and a fold-out couch, so I would say even that was larger than the average 2-bed hotel room.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I've never stayed in a Halifax hotel room, but the hotel rooms I've stayed in elsewhere have probably been closer to 200 sqft. 300-400 sqft sounds like a very ritzy hotel room to me. The first studio apartment I rented was 260 sqft and that had a decent kitchen space and still easily had space for a queen bed and a fold-out couch, so I would say even that was larger than the average 2-bed hotel room.
Interesting. That studio apt size is certainly not the norm around here! I may be biased by my recent stay at the "Halifax Tower Hotel" where my room had to be over 600 sf.

I feel like a normal room at say the Prince George is probably 250 sf or so. I should pace it off next time lol.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Interesting. That studio apt size is certainly not the norm around here! I may be biased by my recent stay at the "Halifax Tower Hotel" where my room had to be over 600 sf.

I feel like a normal room at say the Prince George is probably 250 sf or so. I should pace it off next time lol.

Yeah, a typical studio is like twice that size, though there are a few here and there in the 200 range.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Sutton Place standard rooms, 300-350 sf: https://www.suttonplace.com/halifax/rooms

Halifax Tower Hotel, 512-615 sf: https://www.halifaxtowerhotel.com/st...us#guest-rooms

Westin Nova Scotian, 170-200 sf: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...cotian/rooms/#

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Sutton Place standard rooms, 300-350 sf: https://www.suttonplace.com/halifax/rooms

Halifax Tower Hotel, 512-615 sf: https://www.halifaxtowerhotel.com/st...us#guest-rooms

Westin Nova Scotian, 170-200 sf: https://www.marriott.com/en-us/hotel...cotian/rooms/#
Thanks, looks like my estimates were reasonable but it never occurred to me to check the hotel sites directly!

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks, looks like my estimates were reasonable but it never occurred to me to check the hotel sites directly!
I (obviously) didn't do an exhaustive check, but it may be that hotel room sizes vary between downtown and elsewhere in HRM...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2023, 4:40 PM

Some of the units are actually over $900/sqft. They've got a 1310 sqft unit for $1,199,900. I think the most appalling is a 520 sqft unit for $489,900. Those better have good views!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2023, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Some of the units are actually over $900/sqft. They've got a 1310 sqft unit for $1,199,900. I think the most appalling is a 520 sqft unit for $489,900. Those better have good views!
That's approaching Pavilion territory. Wow. Must be going to be an awesome building with great amenities...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2023, 12:56 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
That's approaching Pavilion territory. Wow. Must be going to be an awesome building with great amenities...
And the Pavilion even comes with gyproc on all the walls and ceilings.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2023, 2:06 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
It is common to see people complain about unit pricing or sizes, and that's fine, but I often wonder what the message is supposed to be. Is it that the housing market is nuts, or that the developer has somehow planned or marketed their building incorrectly? I would guess that Urban Capital does a good job of setting pricing and will adjust if it's higher than the market will bear. The pricing in the market is a wider phenomenon the developer doesn't control.

I also find that there is sometimes a "little old Halifax" syndrome where people assume high-end buildings competitive with upper tier developments in major cities (not ultra luxury, which Halifax doesn't really have on a large condo building scale, but definitely above average) should be broadly affordable, because it's little old Halifax. Navy Lane is supposed to have premium features like a rooftop pool. Pavilion looks like a really nice building. In Toronto or Vancouver people are spending $3-4k a month on dumpy apartments in neighbourhoods that are not as nice as downtown Halifax, and the luxury condos here are incredibly expensive. Around here it's hard to find a 1,300 square foot unit at all.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is common to see people complain about unit pricing or sizes, and that's fine, but I often wonder what the message is supposed to be. Is it that the housing market is nuts, or that the developer has somehow planned or marketed their building incorrectly? I would guess that Urban Capital does a good job of setting pricing and will adjust if it's higher than the market will bear. The pricing in the market is a wider phenomenon the developer doesn't control.

I also find that there is sometimes a "little old Halifax" syndrome where people assume high-end buildings competitive with upper tier developments in major cities (not ultra luxury, which Halifax doesn't really have on a large condo building scale, but definitely above average) should be broadly affordable, because it's little old Halifax. Navy Lane is supposed to have premium features like a rooftop pool. Pavilion looks like a really nice building. In Toronto or Vancouver people are spending $3-4k a month on dumpy apartments in neighbourhoods that are not as nice as downtown Halifax, and the luxury condos here are incredibly expensive. Around here it's hard to find a 1,300 square foot unit at all.
I have no idea if those units are worth the extra cost per sqft. Maybe they have amazing views and are worth it, or maybe the pricing is an error. My dad once bought a PH in a building my mother was selling condos in, and his PH was about 10% cheaper than the 2nd PH, but his had the far better view/sun exposure and they were the same size. Even though my mother was selling the condos, she had no idea how the pricing was determined. Probably the person pricing the condos got the two PHs confused with each other, but who knows.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2023, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

Oh I'm sure they've done their research and the building will sell quickly. I'm just impressed at the pricing level given that area, but yes the city is definitely evolving. I think overall it's a positive. I'd actually love to see a lot more developments like this.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2023, 3:49 PM

Building permit has been submitted for this one. Residential address will be 2250 Maitland Street.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 4:53 PM
Cap the Cut!

More that $1k/sq ft. in the north end and on Gottingen (Maitland) Street. Things sure have changed since I moved to Halifax in 1998.

20240228_164019 by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 28, 2024, 5:39 PM

Wow, just about $7000/month for mortgage, taxes and condo fees for a place the size of a hotel room.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth