HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 12:31 AM
See ya down under, mates

Here's a new video showing a render of the new four lane Keith road bridge in North Van near Seylynn Village/Second Narrows Bridge/parallel to Hwy 1.

Video Link

This is about 20 years too late but a very welcome sight. Bridge traffic currently can back up all the way to Lonsdale.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 1:25 AM

What a snazzy video! I didn't know North Van District was so forward thinking in their marketing/information campaigns.

Much needed project though, this is going to be great.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 2:28 AM
More Towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
What a snazzy video! I didn't know North Van District was so forward thinking in their marketing/information campaigns.

Yeah, I knew it was a district project but I was waiting for a Ministry of Transportation tagline.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post

It's disappointing they are widening the crossing. That certainly won't encourage anyone to get out of their cars..

/sarcasm off

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:42 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by makr3trkr View Post
It's disappointing they are widening the crossing. That certainly won't encourage anyone to get out of their cars..

/sarcasm off
aberdeen do you have to post this in every thr.... oh it's not aberdeen.

I would literally die if I tried to go west on Keith road on a bike.

Most bike riders are cheating death going over that 70 year old bridge. There's zero room, luckily it's short.

PS Klazu don't forget to post in the Low Level road thread. I didn't see your pics until now.

Old Posted May 8, 2014, 3:59 AM
More Towers

Yeah, everyone is going to buy a car since they opened an extra lane on Keith Road. I'm going to open a car dealership to get in on the rush.

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 6:30 PM
Vancouver Moderator

About time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global BC - Shaw Media
Brighter, more reflective road lines coming to Lower Mainland highways

A Lower Mainland contractor that paints road lines is using a new technology to make them even brighter and more reflective.

Mainroad Pavement Marking is using new technology from Switzerland on B.C. roads.

Glass beads are added to the line marking paint to help improve visibility during low-light conditions.

Mainroads’ contract with the provincial transportation ministry calls for “retroreflectivity tests” to be carried out within 30 days of pavement marking, and again at the end of painting season.

A mobile “retroreflectometer” is attached to a moving vehicle travelling at the posted speed limit. Mainroad says this new technology eliminates the need for lane closures and is safer. It also saves time.

“Mainroad’s investment in this mobile unit eliminates the need for lane closures and traffic control and is a far more safe and efficient process than the hand held testing device we used previously,” says operations manager Ken Nash.

Mainroad maintains Highway 1 through the Lower Mainland, including the Port Mann Bridge. The company also maintains the South Fraser Perimeter Road, among other routes.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:01 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
About time...
As far as I can tell the only thing new is that they're testing it. I did line painting for a summer job during university, and they always used glass beads.

I haven't been impressed with Mainroad's marking work so far though, so who knows, maybe it'll improve.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 12:14 AM
More Towers

Yeah it's just the new testing procedures.

Quote:
Surrey, BC | May 9, 2014 – Mainroad Pavement Marking announces the use of a new and innovative retroreflectivity technology by Zehntner Testing Instruments. Glass beads are added to line marking paint to create a reflective surface that improves visibility during low light conditions. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure sets the standard for pavement marking reflectivity to safeguard motorists when driving at night or during low light conditions. Mainroad’s contract with the Ministry requires that a retroreflectivity test be conducted within 30 days of pavement marking and again at the end of the painting season.

Zehntner’s ZDR 6020 Dynamic Retroreflectometer is attached to a vehicle, allowing the operator to gather continuous pavement marking retroreflectivity measurements while driving at the posted speed limit.

Operations Manager, Ken Nash stated, “The safety of the driving public and our employees is paramount. Mainroad’s investment in this mobile unit eliminates the need for lane closures and traffic control and is a far more safe and efficient process than the hand held testing device we used previously.”

A similar type of testing equipment is being used in Ontario, however Mainroad is the only highway maintenance contractor in North America using this Swiss manufactured testing technology. The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure recently renewed its contract with Mainroad for pavement marking services in the Lower Mainland. Mainroad Pavement Marking also plays a key role in Mainroad’s P3 work on the Port Mann/Highway 1 Improvement Project and the South Fraser Perimeter Road.
http://mainroad.ca/new-retroreflecti...ety-efficiency

Another F- for idiot reporters that can't read a press release and regurgitate it without totally missing the point.

CBC in 2012:
Quote:
Road markings are repainted once a year, but new environmental rules mean road crews can't use heavy oil-based paints anymore.

"Simply going to a water-based paint has an issue, because humidity plays a huge factor," said Jamie Hiebert, of Mainroad. "If you have areas with high humidity, water-borne paints, you typically can't get them to dry."

The company is trying other paints that meet the environmental guidelines, but it's sometimes a case of trial and error, especially if it's raining.

"You get that asphalt that has that kind of mirror look when it's wet and then you don't see the paint," said Hiebert.

On routes with lower visibility or higher traffic volume, inlaid lines — which are grooved right into the pavement — may soon be the way to go.

The lines are a hit on the Sea-to-Sky Highway and Malahat Highway and may be tried on other major routes, Hiebert said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...erns-1.1212091

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:58 AM

Looks like the province has backed New West into a nice corner: they will lend them two bailey bridges, but not just one. IE they won't participate in New West's one lane fantasy! Who in this day and age argues for a one lane bridge?
http://www.royalcityrecord.com/news/...idge-1.1053109

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:19 AM
See ya down under, mates

Excellent. I was appalled that a bridge like that still existed in metro Vancouver when I stumbled upon it.

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 3:50 AM
More Towers

Geniuses.

"Remember it was the City of New Westminster, which turned its back on over $60 million in federal funding for a proper two-lane bridge to be installed.”

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/news/....vjFvPvrE.dpuf

Old Posted May 13, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm2013 View Post
Geniuses.

"Remember it was the City of New Westminster, which turned its back on over $60 million in federal funding for a proper two-lane bridge to be installed.”

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/news/....vjFvPvrE.dpuf
Braid from Brunette to North Road is already a busy four/five lane arterial.

If anything a 4-lane United Boulevard Bridge would be (arguably) justifiable.

Giving New West a 2-lane bridge is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

"Mayor Wayne Wright said it’s “more than a red herring” to suggest that two lanes are needed so people can safely access Royal Columbian Hospital. He said the city has been firm in its support for a one-lane crossing because the bridge leads to the congested Brunette and Braid area and a busy railway corridor."

A good part of the congestion at that intersection is *because* of the one-lane bridge.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 8:07 PM

Has there been any discussion on the new offramp being built from Hwy 99 SB to 80 St. and Ladner Trunk Road?

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Has there been any discussion on the new offramp being built from Hwy 99 SB to 80 St. and Ladner Trunk Road?
Preload has been in place for months. I think this offramp is a foregone conclusion. I haven't been by recently to see if there has been work beyond the preload.

Old Posted May 21, 2014, 9:24 PM

Already open

http://www.newsroom.gov.bc.ca/2014/0...ongestion.html

Quote:
DELTA - The new 80th Street off-ramp in Delta now is open to traffic, reducing congestion along the Highway 99 corridor and improving local access.

The off-ramp will improve safety and access for motorists and businesses, especially those operating at Boundary Bay Airport and the industrial park. It connects motorists travelling on Highway 99 southbound to Ladner Trunk Road at 80th Street and increases access to areas south of Highway 99.

The second phase of the project, scheduled for completion in fall 2014, includes a lengthened acceleration lane under the Ladner Trunk Road overpass, which will improve safety for motorists merging onto Highway 99 northbound.

Also, Ladner Trunk Road will be widened to four lanes through the Hornby Drive intersection to improve traffic flow and reduce congestion at this busy intersection.

The Government of British Columbia and the Corporation of Delta have each contributed 50% to this $10-million project, which began in early 2013.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Already open
I drove in from the Tsawwassen ferry terminal last week and was annoyed that the freeway took me all the way east to the 80th Street interchange instead of directly north to the tunnel. It adds several few km for no apparently good reason.

I imagine they did it to reduce northbound congestion at the old 17A and 99 interchange and tunnel, but when traffic's light it's completely unnecessary. Next time I'm just going to ignore all the "Vancouver" signage and take the "Ladner" exit to go directly north the way it used to.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 12:28 AM
(daka_x)

^ Honestly I sometimes find these "ooh, we're building more lanes, so there's going to be more cars!" contentions to be quite unfound.

Yes, it's true that the additional lanes are deifnitely going to accomodate more cars. That doesn't mean single-occupancy vehicle drivers are the exclusive benefactors here. Transit is also using that bridge - you saw that bus stuck in bridge traffic in the video, I'm sure. With faster, more reliable service coming once that bridge is in place, I think there's a serious possibility that transit usage in the area will improve. The mentioned right turn lane included with the project is also going to help here, potentially being usable as a transit priority queue jumper.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
It adds several few km for no apparently good reason.
It's to benefit the Ladner residents (by diverting traffic away from their neighbourhoods), not the drivers.
I thought Delta was going to reduce the old Hwy 17 in width to make it more of a local street?

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
It's to benefit the Ladner residents (by diverting traffic away from their neighbourhoods), not the drivers.
Aside from a bit of development around the intersection of Highways 10 and 17A, that road just goes through a bunch of wide open fields. What neighbourhoods exactly is it bothering?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure