HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:07 PM

The Ferragamo flagship store (Erie & Michigan) facade was fully unveiled/uncovered the other night. It follows the momentum of Burberry, on the same block, of having lots of illuminated elements embedded into a facade that extends at least a couple floors up. It's interesting that retailers (and landlords) have finally gotten ambitious enough that they'll completely reclad the bottom couple floors of a skyscraper if the existing streetside look would be just too generic.

On a more macro level though, it's a little odd how this shrimpy, dozen-story building (645 North Michigan) is still going strong while properties like Realtors, at 25 stories, are worthy of a teardown.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The Trib is reporting that CPS will move its offices to 1 N Dearborn (the Sears flagship w/the Argo Tea).
Working as a contractor for CPS, I'm in their current building often. I've never felt inspired walking through the lobby and the floor plans are nothing to be excited about. Though I enjoy almost any pre-war building, definitely won't miss this one.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
The Ferragamo flagship store (Erie & Michigan) facade was fully unveiled/uncovered the other night. It follows the momentum of Burberry, on the same block, of having lots of illuminated elements embedded into a facade that extends at least a couple floors up. It's interesting that retailers (and landlords) have finally gotten ambitious enough that they'll completely reclad the bottom couple floors of a skyscraper if the existing streetside look would be just too generic.
As the saying goes, pics or it didn't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
On a more macro level though, it's a little odd how this shrimpy, dozen-story building (645 North Michigan) is still going strong while properties like Realtors, at 25 stories, are worthy of a teardown.
These particular examples make me happy though. The design of 645 North Michigan is much more palatable than the mutilated Realtor Building.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 3:57 PM

Cps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Working as a contractor for CPS, I'm in their current building often. I've never felt inspired walking through the lobby and the floor plans are nothing to be excited about. Though I enjoy almost any pre-war building, definitely won't miss this one.
Are they not in the Marquette building?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:10 PM

1643-57 N Milwaukee

Long time lurker..

Figured it was time for a post as I attended the neighborhood meeting last night and snapped a few photos.[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by lu9; Dec 18, 2013 at 4:28 PM.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:45 PM
dream fast

Thanks for that update, lu9, and welcome. Certainly not inspired but a much needed improvement for the stretch of Milwaukee Ave. As well, it will lead to further development directly to the west.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:55 PM

Wow. Although I did not attend the meeting, this looks like a great improvement from the proposals of the past. Think about how far Bucktown / Wicker Park has come since the boom years when these proposals had splitface block side walls and cheap brick facades. Are the store fronts going to be cast iron? Are we finally starting to see developers attempt to emulate some of the designs being built in the Meat Packing, Tribeca, and Soho areas of NYC?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB 1871 View Post
Are they not in the Marquette building?
Close. Same block, right next door. 125 S Clark. Marquette is owned by the MacArthur Foundation and it seems like they've done a good job restoring and preserving it.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
Long time lurker..

Figured it was time for a post as I attended the neighborhood meeting last night and snapped a few photos.[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
It's hard to tell from these images. Is the historic building at 1643 biting the dust? That would really be a shame - it could be a real looker with a cornice restoration.

From the images it almost looks like its half there. Was this discussed in the meeting?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:42 PM

Thanks for the photos! At first I was "meh" about the design, but upon looking more closely, I think it could look good if they use the right materials.

As to the question about the historic building at 1643, I think it's coming down if this goes through. I believe the 1-on-1 Fitness business referenced in the article is in that building. Interesting observation about the half building though. I wonder if that IS half of 1643..

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Thanks for the photos! At first I was "meh" about the design, but upon looking more closely, I think it could look good if they use the right materials.

As to the question about the historic building at 1643, I think it's coming down if this goes through. I believe the 1-on-1 Fitness business referenced in the article is in that building. Interesting observation about the half building though. I wonder if that IS half of 1643..
Ugh, what a load of crap. The neighborhood groups should demand the preservation of the building and allow them to stuff the remaining square footage on the other lots they acquired - but what do I know?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:48 PM

Why can't architects design a proper first floor? They are always so grossly over-scaled or, in this case, needlessly monumental. Those giant arch/canopy things over the entrances are much too large and heavy-handed looking. Thankfully, the rest of the building forgoes any overwrought things (looks like it, anyway...).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckman821 View Post
Ugh, what a load of crap. The neighborhood groups should demand the preservation of the building and allow them to stuff the remaining square footage on the other lots they acquired - but what do I know?
I agree the 1643 building could look decently nice with some good restoration work. In the end, it's a balance of money and what the developer wants to do. I think the problem is the existing building doesn't support the number of units or size of retail/commercial for the developer. Restoring the building, building something next to it and attaching them would cost a bit still, too.

Luckily upon looking more closely at the renderings, it doesn't look like complete shit. I like the stuff used on the first floor and it does look more like cast iron which would be pretty cool.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:20 PM

^^^ Speaking of buildings that look good with a thorough restoration: has anyone else noticed what they are doing that 3 story building on the West side of Damen just North of the Blue Line? They have completely restored the facade including complete tuckpointing, the installation of a brand new ornate copper cornice, and completely new storefront facade system. The building absolutely shines already and they are still working on it. There must be something awesome slated to go in there. Or is that the space the donut shop is going into? Whatever is going on it looks absolutely awesome. Now we just need them to finish the Coyote Hotel project and put the cornice back on the Ohm building on the NE corner and the entire Milwaukee/Damen/North intersection will be essentially brand new.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:26 PM

^ Can't think of what building you're talking about. How far north of the Damen Blue Line stop is it?

Turning that Coyote building into a boutique hotel would be great. Anybody hear anything else about it since news first broke a few months ago?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Can't think of what building you're talking about. How far north of the Damen Blue Line stop is it?

Turning that Coyote building into a boutique hotel would be great. Anybody hear anything else about it since news first broke a few months ago?
Literally the first building North of the Blue Line tracks on the West side of Damen. If you look on streetview you will see what it used to look like with a chunk of the battered old cornice missing.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Literally the first building North of the Blue Line tracks on the West side of Damen. If you look on streetview you will see what it used to look like with a chunk of the battered old cornice missing.
Gotcha. Yep, that's the building Stan's Donuts is going into. I'm going to have to take a look at it again next time I'm in the area. Thanks for the tip

I like the fact they're going in there. Not only because I love their donuts, but also because they plan to stay open late. I know the one near UCLA is open until midnight every night and 1am on the weekends. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with late night things, but perhaps because I love vibrancy and don't like to see a city shut down early

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
^^^ Speaking of buildings that look good with a thorough restoration: has anyone else noticed what they are doing that 3 story building on the West side of Damen just North of the Blue Line? They have completely restored the facade including complete tuckpointing, the installation of a brand new ornate copper cornice, and completely new storefront facade system. The building absolutely shines already and they are still working on it. There must be something awesome slated to go in there.
http://chicagoathleticclubs.com/buck...-opening-soon/

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:54 PM

In other news, it looks as if the land/gas station directly west of The Maxwell project on Canal just south of Roosevelt has been bought by the same developer for $7.5 million. No clue what they'll do here, but considering The Maxwell abandoned plans for 430 apartments? It would be cool if this new site was residential with a few hundred units.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwerve View Post
Not the same building. He's talking about one on Damen just north of the Blue Line stop, which is the old Skewerz spot and where Stan's Donuts is currently building out its place.

Nonetheless, it's good for the neighborhood on what you posted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development