HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 3:06 AM

Possibly the tallest building in the heart of Uptown. I'm not totally opposed to it. https://www.bizjournals.com/twinciti..._news_headline

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 8:05 PM

Then again I wouldn't mind if they split the width of the building and put the other half on the NE corner of Henn/Lake.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 9:58 AM

Really like this story of the refurbished Granada Theater. It used to be a block and a half away from my house. Back then it was called the Suburban but they've restored it to the original name now. I loved the interior. I remember seeing the Titanic there when it first came out in 97. Back when it was set up like a regular theater. https://www.southwestjournal.com/new...ain-in-uptown/

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:45 PM

A nice update on the Girard/Lake/Fremont proposal. Still a work in progress but I see the LOCAL is working with the neighborhood. A 2 tower proposal is a possibility but currently it looks like they lopped off 10 stories on the Fremont side of the project. Plans for tall Uptown apartment tower scaled back slightly

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:36 PM

I really like the 2 tower proposal. It would help to balance things here alot.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 10:22 PM

200 12th Ave S -- 11 floors -- apartments -- Downtown East/Mill District -- 10/1/20

Cassions are going in, looks like piles will be soon as well.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:49 PM

Awesome. Downtown Minneapolis has so much going on. Much more soon.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 12:59 AM

I sure hope the 22 story Fire Station project gets going soon. Will really help to finish Washington Ave S. So stunning the transformation of the area over the past 20 years.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN/WI View Post
I sure hope the 22 story Fire Station project gets going soon. Will really help to finish Washington Ave S. So stunning the transformation of the area over the past 20 years.
I spy the tallest tower in the crack shack project in that last photo. Has there ever been a concerted effort to Demo them like many of the public housing project eyesores of past decades in cities across the U.S.? But I must say they are interesting pieces of gritty urban architecture when viewed in person.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I spy the tallest tower in the crack shack project in that last photo. Has there ever been a concerted effort to Demo them like many of the public housing project eyesores of past decades in cities across the U.S.? But I must say they are interesting pieces of gritty urban architecture when viewed in person.
According to Wikipedia, Riverside Plaza was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. It had about $132 million in renovations in 2011-2012, but sounds like it’s still having its problems. However, it has been nearly full most of its life and serves as a landing pad for new immigrants, many of whom are from Somalia these days.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 9:32 PM

I've kind of always liked the Cedar Riverside complex. Could you imagine how huge it would have been if it all come to fruition. I think if I recall correctly it would have housed something like 30,000 people.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 7:29 AM

Quote:
I've kind of always liked the Cedar Riverside complex. Could you imagine how huge it would have been if it all come to fruition. I think if I recall correctly it would have housed something like 30,000 people.
That’s covered in the Wikipedia article. I’m glad they didn’t build the whole thing, but it was an impressive, ambitious design that was so symbolic of the 60s. When I was attending the University of Minnesota TC campus back in the 80s, they had the full, huge architectural model hung on the wall of one of the open stairwells in the Architecture building - now known as Ralph Rapson Hall. I wonder where that is now.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 4:37 AM

As far as Minneapolis public high rises go I don't think this complex is all that bad. I actually enjoy the use of colors. Especially helpful in our cold monotone winters.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:45 AM
Paradise Island

Riverside Plaza has a ton of section 8 renters but it isn't actually public housing, it is privately owned. It looks like a housing project because it is a brutalist building full of low income renters so people assume it is, but that isn't the case.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 6:36 AM

Quote:
As far as Minneapolis public high rises go I don't think this complex is all that bad. I actually enjoy the use of colors. Especially helpful in our cold monotone winters.
It certainly helped when they repainted the colors during the renovation. Now it sounds like if they just put in some decent elevators and provided better security it wouldn’t be so bad. But, I don’t live there. It’s fun to think what it could be if it were upgraded to a state that attracted more upscale tenants, but that would be a pretty blatant example of gentrification when there is such a need for lower income housing.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
Riverside Plaza has a ton of section 8 renters but it isn't actually public housing, it is privately owned. It looks like a housing project because it is a brutalist building full of low income renters so people assume it is, but that isn't the case.
Oh thanks. I didn't realize that.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
It certainly helped when they repainted the colors during the renovation. Now it sounds like if they just put in some decent elevators and provided better security it wouldn’t be so bad. But, I don’t live there. It’s fun to think what it could be if it were upgraded to a state that attracted more upscale tenants, but that would be a pretty blatant example of gentrification when there is such a need for lower income housing.
It definitely helps to extend downtown to the south. With the new condos along the river, even more so with Eleven, will help to tie it all together.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 3:56 PM

Quote:
It definitely helps to extend downtown to the south. With the new condos along the river, even more so with Eleven, will help to tie it all together.
Let's hope that there's a 12 to follow and maybe a 13 and 14. We can dream, right?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 9:17 PM

Definitely hoping we get a nice cluster of beautiful tall buildings down in that area. Would look so great along the river.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2020, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drcastro View Post
I drove past Cedar Riverside on Wednesday. Have to say those colored panels sure have faded dramatically already. I'd like to say I wish they had they budge to repaint at least every 10 years but I know there's so many of things that need done.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations