HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:19 AM
Greensboro Rocks!

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA with Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus.

Little info about Greensboro and its economy.

Greensboro is North Carolina's 3rd largest city (after Charlotte and Raleigh) with a population of about 300,000. (metro 1.6 million)
Textiles and tobacco built the city with companies home to brands such as Lee and Wrangler Jeans as well as Salem, Kool, Winston and Newport cigarettes. Vicks VapoRub was also founded in Greensboro. But the city's economy has moved into the 21 century with hi-tech manufacturing, insurance and distribution and logistics. Arch Mortgage Insurance, Lincoln Financial Insurance division, Honda Aircraft world headquarters, Volvo Trucks of North America and Mack Trucks are just some of the companies based in the city. There is speculation that Greensboro will be home to the Truist Mortgage division headquarters of the newly merged BB&T/SunTrust Bank which is based in Charlotte. Most of the leadership executives of the former SunTrust Mortgage are moving from Richmond to Greensboro.

400 Bellemeade (Project Slugger) at First National Bank Field

3,000 seat Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts near completion.

Other downtown Greensboro scenery

Last edited by urbanscraper; Feb 12, 2020 at 7:02 AM.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 6:30 AM

I rank Greensboro the king of rarity on this forum. Thanks for the imperfect skyline shots.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 7:14 AM
Greensboro Rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
I rank Greensboro the king of rarity on this forum. Thanks for the imperfect skyline shots.
Greensboro's skyline certainly does not rank up there with Houston or New York. But for decades Greensboro has been a manufacturing city. The economy is transitioning and as a result we are starting to see some high-rise development downtown. A high-rise Westin hotel will soon be under construction downtown and there are plans for a large mixed-use development south of the ballpark which will include midrise luxury apartments, a 9-story Aloft hotel and a 20-story office tower. Still no New York, Houston or Paris but its always nice to see a midsize city begin to blossom.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2020, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Nice photos!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 1:27 AM
Beer Stampede

Nice to see Greensboro getting some love on here!! it's definitely a city on the move!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 9:35 PM
Me?!?

Nice!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:59 PM
Greensboro Rocks!

Thanks!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 3:13 AM
Greensboro Rocks!

Some more photos I took of downtown Greensboro.

The Woolworth that started the nationwide lunch counter sit-ins in 1960.

Last edited by urbanscraper; Feb 14, 2020 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:57 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

great pics and a very nice looking place.

i don't think i've ever spent much, or any time there.

so tell us, is it pronounced greens boro? or greens bura?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 8:54 PM
them bones

Never been there. Looks nice. I've seen threads here on Winston-Salem, but I don't know that I've even seen Greensboro

When the Hurricanes moved to NC, didn't they play here? Is there still a full scale arena or does it sit unused?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2020, 1:25 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Never been there. Looks nice. I've seen threads here on Winston-Salem, but I don't know that I've even seen Greensboro

When the Hurricanes moved to NC, didn't they play here? Is there still a full scale arena or does it sit unused?
According to what I could find, they played for a couple of years in the Greensboro Coliseum, which has been around since 1959 and isn't going anywhere... Thing is though, they displaced a popular local minor league hockey team, and knowing that this team actually belonged to the Triangle and not the Triad, and knowing they would be leaving for appropriate digs in their home turf in a couple of years anyway, people in the Triad didn't much care for them.

Regional rivalry is one thing that defines North Carolina. The Triangle and the Triad snub each other at parties, everyone snubs Charlotte and she snubs everyone in return, Fayetteville didn't attend the party because it's too busy shooting up and getting treated for another round of the clap, and Asheville and Western North Carolina usually aren't even allowed into the party and stand outside pleading silently, noses pressed to the window. Wilmington, refined old spinster that she is, usually just sits in the corner at the party, observing and clucking disapprovingly at the state of the youth of today. The only thing that unifies everyone is a shared hatred of the pig-farming areas in eastern parts of the state. Most of the state's most powerful politicians come from that area, and the rest of us just hate the way state money flows unimpeded to that part of the state before it goes anywhere else.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:46 AM

Nice pictures! Where is that place with the iron railings and the snow on the ground?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanscraper View Post

I really like this fabric sculpture and its lighting!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 10:36 PM

Beautiful place !!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 5:47 PM

I'm glad Greensboro managed to get some of those projects off the ground before this pandemic hit. Although the debut performances have been postponed, the new performing arts center in particular is definitely going to be a game-changer for downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
Regional rivalry is one thing that defines North Carolina. The Triangle and the Triad snub each other at parties, everyone snubs Charlotte and she snubs everyone in return, Fayetteville didn't attend the party because it's too busy shooting up and getting treated for another round of the clap, and Asheville and Western North Carolina usually aren't even allowed into the party and stand outside pleading silently, noses pressed to the window. Wilmington, refined old spinster that she is, usually just sits in the corner at the party, observing and clucking disapprovingly at the state of the youth of today. The only thing that unifies everyone is a shared hatred of the pig-farming areas in eastern parts of the state. Most of the state's most powerful politicians come from that area, and the rest of us just hate the way state money flows unimpeded to that part of the state before it goes anywhere else.
Poor Unifour...just left behind...home alone like Kevin McCallister, except the whole family went on their overseas trip and back and no one even realized they were missing.

But these days, it seems like it's just Charlotte and the Triangle ribbing each other over superficial differences but collectively looking down on the rest of the state, minus Asheville and Wilmington, with a mixture of indifference and pity.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos