HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 3:14 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 11:28 PM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 1:58 AM

Idk how I feel about the clippers stadium. Just build more dense housing on that lot and keep them in staples center. DTLA is way more central and accessible via freeway and public transportation. Also the developments happening surrounding staples is so much better for visitors imo.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 2:06 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Ballmer (Clippers owner) is worth $50 billion and his ego can't handle being a third-string tenant at Staples. I know there are still lots of hurdles to clear, but this is probably going to happen. When it does, Staples will house nothing but championship teams (Lakers, Kings, Sparks)... although it's very possible the Clippers win their first title before moving to a new stadium.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 27, 2019, 6:16 PM
Paramoderator

Never understood why Balmer couldn't build affordable housing around the stadium like in Oakland and Brooklyn to assuage the critics. I'm not necessarily opposed to the stadium but I empathize with residents who feel like the neighborhood is becoming more welcoming to transitory elements than it is for those who live there.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:15 PM

Right under the final approach of LAX isn't a good place for dense housing.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 2:28 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ That can be addressed somewhat with proper insulation and double-paned windows.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Some of the land that the Clippers hope to build their arena used to be housing, which was torn down for this very reason.

When Inglewood settled its lawsuit with LAWA over the LAX modernization/expansion, LAWA agreed to cover the cost of soundproofing a lot of housing under the flight path, but also paid to relocate residents and demolish buildings that couldn't get under the noise threshold set in the agreement.

If Ballmer was smart, he'd have started buying land to build affordable housing (or existing buildings to preserve with affordability covenants) concurrently with announcing the arena project. He still should, although it would look more like a half-hearted olive branch at this point.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Speaking of looking pretty good...

42 story luxury residential tower set for 5411 Wilshire Blvd. Designed by Richard Keating.

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...0G7JO7ChmvOkx0
Automation Arriving at Area Garages

https://labusinessjournal.com/news/2...-area-garages/

Quote:
Tenants of the complex at 5411 Wilshire Blvd. will be able to drop off their cars in a parking bay, like a normal lot. From there, a lift mechanism lowers the car into underground storage. The system also charges electric cars.

When drivers are ready to leave, they scan a keycard, and the system retrieves their cars.

The automated garage has room for 200 cars — 70 more than the 130 that would fit in a traditional structure of the same size, Marks said.

And on May 29, CityLift Parking announced it was granted approval for a three-level automated parking system in Hollywood. At the facility, drivers park in a lift, and the system then stacks and stores the vehicles.

CityLift said it saves 60% of space over a traditional lot. The cars take a minute and a half to retrieve when stacked three high, the company said.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve8263 View Post
Tell that to San Diego 😂 we have housing towers built a few hundred feet from the landing path

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:07 PM

Great Arena proposal for the Clippers. I think a name change is needed as well. Shoot! the bland uniforms don't even have a clipper ship anywhere to be seen. Clippers was San Diego. Time to move on, and out of the shadows of the Lakers.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Some of the land that the Clippers hope to build their arena used to be housing, which was torn down for this very reason.

When Inglewood settled its lawsuit with LAWA over the LAX modernization/expansion, LAWA agreed to cover the cost of soundproofing a lot of housing under the flight path, but also paid to relocate residents and demolish buildings that couldn't get under the noise threshold set in the agreement.

If Ballmer was smart, he'd have started buying land to build affordable housing (or existing buildings to preserve with affordability covenants) concurrently with announcing the arena project. He still should, although it would look more like a half-hearted olive branch at this point.
I'm all for the rich giving back, and affordable housing is a necessity, but how much affordable housing have the Laker's ownership built and paid for? Just wanted to know. Maybe Ballmer could build as much as the Lakers have.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 1:16 AM

I bet Ballmer has donated millions here in LA, the Ballmer Group (an LLC ran by his wife and focused on poverty) is based here. They recently opened an office in his hometown of Detroit and they have donated millions there. They typically donate to organizations and causes that fit their missions in Seattle, Detroit and LA.

If anyone is interested, here is an older article about the Ballmer Group.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ts/1859401002/

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tykendo View Post
I'm all for the rich giving back, and affordable housing is a necessity, but how much affordable housing have the Laker's ownership built and paid for? Just wanted to know. Maybe Ballmer could build as much as the Lakers have.
Zero, as far as I know, but you're missing my point.

My point is that politically, Ballmer would have been smart to preemptively take steps to either build or preserve affordable housing in Inglewood, where gentrification is already on everyone's minds because of the massive stadium district under construction across the street.

I'd be saying the same thing if the Lakers were the team trying to build a new arena in Inglewood.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
What’s up with that community development called Centennial @ Tejon Ranch?? I thought California learned and was down with the spread of suburban sprawl?? Do people really support that? I honestly think that land should be preserved.. so it’s beautiful the way it looks... and besides we dont need any more sprawl. I understand we need housing, but suburbs isn’t the answer imo.
I'm sure my response is predictable here but yes I support it and think it will be a great development. We need to keep sprawling out so as long as people like me who prefer that lifestyle have options other than concrete jungles. Though I love my new place in the arts district and see great value in urban areas, suburbs offer superior QOL, IMO and projects like these will afford more homes at better rates per square foot than urban areas possibly can. To solve the housing problem the issue needs to come from different angles, not just one. There is plenty of natural landscape in California. We could development half of the entire high and low desert and that statement will still be true. Count me as someone who hopes this suburban development is built.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citywatch View Post
among other reasons....

Video Link
These are great projects. I wish Mulholland would have something like this happen and mixed-use dirt trail built from the 101 to the 405.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Idk how I feel about the clippers stadium. Just build more dense housing on that lot and keep them in staples center. DTLA is way more central and accessible via freeway and public transportation. Also the developments happening surrounding staples is so much better for visitors imo.
I hope if this stadium is built anyways they move forward with the proposed people mover connecting this and the Rams stadium to the Crenshaw line. Furthermore if that APM is built I hope it runs like real transit and not just for special events. They should incorporate high-rise housing into these developments on parcel sites with structured parking and not giant surface lots. Another good contender for this is the Forum parking lots. Build a massive parking garage on top of retail under housing and more housing on the obsolete parking lots.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2019, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
I'm sure my response is predictable here but yes I support it and think it will be a great development. We need to keep sprawling out so as long as people like me who prefer that lifestyle have options other than concrete jungles. Though I love my new place in the arts district and see great value in urban areas, suburbs offer superior QOL, IMO and projects like these will afford more homes at better rates per square foot than urban areas possibly can. To solve the housing problem the issue needs to come from different angles, not just one. There is plenty of natural landscape in California. We could development half of the entire high and low desert and that statement will still be true. Count me as someone who hopes this suburban development is built.
I hope this is sarcasm. Tejon ranch is beautiful as is. No need to build a ridiculous development 70 miles from downtown LA in an extreme fire zone

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
I hope this is sarcasm. Tejon ranch is beautiful as is. No need to build a ridiculous development 70 miles from downtown LA in an extreme fire zone
No sarcasm.

Fire zones can be contained with modern technologies fire suppression along with fire resistant materials used to construct homes are readily available. Tejon Ranch is beautiful as was the LA Basin I'm sure before it was built. Yosemite Valley is beautiful. The Earth is beautiful. Statements like that in the context of development needs and the realities become non-statements as they are worthless. There are plenty more areas like Tejon Ranch around California that are light years away from anyone even talking about developing them.

Tejon Ranch is well within the fringe of one of the largest megalopolis's in the world and one that needs housing more than urban apartments in a concrete jungle. Clearly as much of it that is being built it isn't doing much.California is actively discouraging suburban development to no end. I'll try and dig up the article I found that shows how much unused develop-able land exists in the LA area.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:52 PM

We simply do not need exurban sprawl 70 miles from the core of the metro. We need infil development and to reduce our footprint. I really hope the environmental groups sue and sue and sue until the developer gives up. Nothing will convince me that this development is a good idea. I literally drove through there yesterday.. 103 degrees, extremely dry and in the middle of no where.... And that's after a wet year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations