HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
I think the Gateway Tower in Long Beach has finally topped out, its already very massive in the skyline, from the 405 it looks 3-4 floors taller than the world trade center which is odd since its only supposed to be 10 feet taller than the trade center. Almost feels like they were at a good pace, a floor every 5 days, that they decided to just keep going haha I know that's not likely but it is massive, Everyone knows i have no idea on how to post pictures here, maybe i can get a little help from somebody ?
email them to me. I will send a PM

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 5:15 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 5:39 PM

Not the best photos, but updates nonetheless! Taken Sept 2nd in Koreatown. 3rd and Mariposa actually came out a lot better than I thought.

20c31099-cf42-4704-9f11-17f5a114ada4 by Radio 5, on Flickr

fd57f8eb-f841-43f0-933f-0edd83c254d5 by Radio 5, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 9:52 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

A great way to make these apartment monoliths work is to have ground-level flats. That would at least reduce the fortress-like experience when walking along the sidewalk.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 1:41 AM

Is California still dealing with the disease that affects palm trees specifically? Those look like expensive palms, but maybe not a good long-term decision.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
A great way to make these apartment monoliths work is to have ground-level flats. That would at least reduce the fortress-like experience when walking along the sidewalk.
Ground level apartments might be considered less desirable by some because they are (perhaps incorrectly) considered more prone to burglaries. Perhaps markets (bodegas), shops, restaurants, etc. are the better choice for first floors.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Ground level apartments might be considered less desirable by some because they are (perhaps incorrectly) considered more prone to burglaries. Perhaps markets (bodegas), shops, restaurants, etc. are the better choice for first floors.
Live/Work apartments are also good for the ground floor and I don't think that enough are being built.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Is California still dealing with the disease that affects palm trees specifically? Those look like expensive palms, but maybe not a good long-term decision.
Those date palms are resistant to the disease that affects the Canary Island Date Palms. So those are ok and is why you see them being planted much more now a days, they are cheaper than the CIDP as well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 6:21 PM

One of the nice things that occupy my time during the pandemic is watching all the Driving LA youtube videos. The mostly drive along a single major street so you can see all the construction happening. There is just so much that is not posted on this site and that is just on major streets, you dont see the side streets/ minor streets / residential streets. I wish there is a recent video along the Expo line. I was wondering if the big projects are done like at Culver station, Sepul Station and La Brea Station.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 112597jorge View Post
Those date palms are resistant to the disease that affects the Canary Island Date Palms. So those are ok and is why you see them being planted much more now a days, they are cheaper than the CIDP as well.
That's correct. These are Medjool Date Palms and this is what's been planted as of late and they are the ones with their fronds still tied up. Canary Island Date Palms are the main ones affected by the disease and they are the ones you see that are much older and planted on the street in this same photo by the city

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:14 PM

Taken today...

Wilshire Boulevard Temple Pavilion by Radio 5, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:30 AM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
They complement the Century Plaza Hotel nicely, which thank goodness, was spared from the wrecking ball.

Century City is still a soulless corporate wasteland though. There's very little that can be done to change that, but these towers are a great addition to the skyline and add some residential density nearby jobs and a forthcoming subway station.
I totally agree on the salvaging of the hotel. I drove by on the 405 today and was pleasantly surprised to see the towers appear to be the tallest in Century City. Not sure if they actually are, but from my vantage point it looked like it.

I kind of see Century City like La Defense in Paris, which is relatively soulless, but its a nice skyline and a major employment center for the west side...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I totally agree on the salvaging of the hotel. I drove by on the 405 today and was pleasantly surprised to see the towers appear to be the tallest in Century City. Not sure if they actually are, but from my vantage point it looked like it.

I kind of see Century City like La Defense in Paris, which is relatively soulless, but its a nice skyline and a major employment center for the west side...
The twin tower condos in Century City have officially topped out. But $2million to $50million for the pricing is absolutely ridiculous.

https://urbanize.la/post/two-tower-c...aches-its-peak

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
The twin tower condos in Century City have officially topped out. But $2million to $50million for the pricing is absolutely ridiculous.

https://urbanize.la/post/two-tower-c...aches-its-peak
Agreed, but I guess people from out of town who just need an LA spot will pay it. Only need a couple hundred of those people from around the world. But yeah, plenty of amazing houses in LA for under 4m that would be way bigger than these condos with your own backyard.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 1:49 AM

Tons of pro sports athletes can afford those easy, pro athletes all over L.A. The penthouse is probably for a billionaire though.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 6:48 PM

DMH Headquarters and the Kurve are making a good impact on the Koreatown skyline, especially the Kurve from the 10 freeway, they stand out. Will be great when that new koreatown tower is up.

Koreatown by Radio 5, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 7:08 PM

Yeah it sure looks like L.A. is going to be the metro of many skylines, the basin is just too big to have one cohesive/tapering connected skyline like NYC or Hong Kong. Very interesting.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Yeah it sure looks like L.A. is going to be the metro of many skylines, the basin is just too big to have one cohesive/tapering connected skyline like NYC or Hong Kong. Very interesting.
At some point, these 6-7 story mixed use buildings will become 15-20 stories in alot of places.
Maybe in the 2030s, but it's gong to happen.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 7:41 AM

2900 Wilshire Blvd. 25 stories with 644 units. 15,000 sq feet of ground floor retail

From yesterday.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
There are a few caveats to that. For the immediate future sure. There will be many skyline islands like Downtown, Hollywood, Koreatown, Century City/Westwood etc. However, who knows what the future might hold over the next one to two hundred years, or even fifty years. It wasn't that long ago that the basin was filled with large orchards of fruit. The Los Angeles Basin is not the vast core of Paris, and I don't think its skylines are destined to remain isolated islands. Many of us have Grandparents who remember large sections of Wilshire and Olympic that looked more like Irvine than how they appear today. If you are traveling along the 10 and gaze northward, it won't be too many more decades before Wilshire appears to be one long string of unbroken skyline from Westwood to Downtown. IMO, we're going to see examples of that thinner linear vertical type of expansion like we now see through Westwood and Koreatown. Of course, the width or overall connected unbroken vertical circumferance of the skyline between say Washington and Wilshire may never happen, but there are already many signs on certain parallel commercial streets such as Olympic, Pico, Venice and Washington or 6th of continued linear East/West ever-increasing vertical, and the north south expansion of many vertical nodes. North/South streets such as Vermont and Western have been showing signs of a lot of teardowns and added height replacements over this past decade, increasing the breath and number of vertical nodes. Those mid-rises along Vermont seem to be getting increasingly taller and more numerous between the 10 and Sunset. Of course, a lot of the unbroken skyline vertical development change depends on how fast and where the Basin continues to build its mass-transit corridors, particularly how much subway the Fed. Government will contribute to L.A.'s infrastructure buildup. As far as unbroken vertical development between Westwood and Downtown along Wilshire, and even much of Olympic, vertical is going to explode among the remaining underdeveloped plots as soon as the Metro reaches the coast. The bar of what is considered underdeveloped is rising very quickly. Also, what will developers be able to squeeze out of those making the laws at any given decades period? For example, Manhattan gave up a lot of gilded architectural treasures, even those that were quite tall, in order to reach ever taller in connecting its Upper, Mid and Lower nodes. Many of those grand structures of the late 19th and early 20th Century were far more significant architecturally than much of what lines Wilshire, Pico or Olympic today. Even neighborhoods like Beverly Hills or Hancock Park are not immune to seeing a lot of ever increasing vertical along its major commercial East/West corridors such as Wilshire and Olympic. The Basin will always have a smattering of Deco and Hollywood Golden Age memorabilia. But let's face it, most of what remains along the mixed-use Basin commercial/residential corridors is throw-away and will be replaced by something taller and showing bigger dollar profits. Of course, God forbid that the Basin would ever become another San Paolo, and I don't think it ever will. However, I think a setup like we see with Chicago's thinner strings of mid and high-rise vertical, puncuated by larger more expansive vertical nodes is not too far out over the next few decades. While many of us won't be around to see it reach a mature level, I think it's a given it will happen, and many of us will see a lot of progress to that end. It will also be fascinating to see how far and how fast the Downtown southern and western expansion continues to evolve.

Then again, who knows what the patterns will be after the Big-One strikes. Perhaps taller, but with Chilean like building standards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Los Angeles or some of the most prone Big-One cities in the West are even now at Chile's urban seismic standards. If a predicted Santiago type earthquake happens to any of the major metros along the coast, or say Salt Lake City's Wasatch Front, it's anyone's guess has to what will evolve.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 3, 2020 at 12:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations