HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:31 PM
The Vomit Bag.

High Speed Rail between Resolute and Grise Fiord

Time for Canada to start investing in the North. You have two teaming cities without a direct rail connection.

jqlarctic

Time to build High Speed Rail between Resolute and Grise Fiord. I am thinking there could be stops in Craig Harbor and Polaris. I'd advocate for twin bored underwater tunnels, given that the area is surrounded by pack ice 10 months of the year.

Femern-Crossing

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...!4d-82.9016083

Thoughts?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:35 PM

Sounds like a no brainer!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 12:36 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

High speed rail? Don’t you mean high speed dog sled?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:19 PM

Not only is this a vital first link in opening the north to development from within Canada, it's a great step in connecting Canada and Europe. The only real question is whether that route should go through Iceland or Svalbard.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:22 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Not only is this a vital first link in opening the north to development from within Canada, it's a great step in connecting Canada and Europe. The only real question is whether that route should go through Iceland or Svalbard.
Both. And with a spur line to Jan Mayen.

wookiepedia
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

It should clearly a Canadian strategic goal to surpass the number of underwater tunnels the Faroe Islands have in our own Arctic!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Faroe_Islands

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 1:47 PM

Extending this HSR line to Hans Island would really assert our sovereignty over the place.

Much more realistic to have a Hans Island-Ottawa HSR line than a Hans Island-Copenhagen HSR line, so, we can seal this deal once and for all if we play our cards right.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

As long as we don't go cheap and build shacks on Hans Island, I would agree. Go big, or go home.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
It should clearly a Canadian strategic goal to surpass the number of underwater tunnels the Faroe Islands have in our own Arctic!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Faroe_Islands
My god that is impressive. They almost have more tunnels in the Faroe Islands than we do in all of Canada. Are there dwarves that live on the Faroe Islands, who cannot help but delve deeply into the mountains? 54000 souls and more than that in total tunnel/bridge meters.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Extending this HSR line to Hans Island would really assert our sovereignty over the place.

Much more realistic to have a Hans Island-Ottawa HSR line than a Hans Island-Copenhagen HSR line, so, we can seal this deal once and for all if we play our cards right.
It would certainly be an important strategic asset for whenever the armed conflict with Denmark inevitably erupts.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 3:49 PM

And we wouldn't have to squeeze into the back of a fully loaded twin otter to get to Grise.

[IMG]Grise Fiord by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
My god that is impressive. They almost have more tunnels in the Faroe Islands than we do in all of Canada. Are there dwarves that live on the Faroe Islands, who cannot help but delve deeply into the mountains? 54000 souls and more than that in total tunnel/bridge meters.
The Faroe Islands are on my go to list. Epic scenery and what seems to be a permanent April like climate. Record low is -11 c in the capital.

I think you're on to something in connecting Grise Fiord and Resolute as it is a missing piece of the Canadian infrastructure puzzle. I can think of only one transit expert who could see this to its completion. He could run for Mayor after once he has whipped the municipality into shape through his transit and retail friendly policies once he has been Councillor for a term.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:18 PM

Finally a transportation proposal that actually makes sense instead of these stupid southern proposals that have politics written all over them.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
High speed rail? Don’t you mean high speed dog sled?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDC1O7nJ8E

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
And we wouldn't have to squeeze into the back of a fully loaded twin otter to get to Grise.

Judging by the shear amount of tower cranes and construction sites it's no question this should be our nation's first HSR project!

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 9:32 PM

There was a crane when they did the school.

Last big building boom I was at was the sustainable resources office.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 6:22 PM

You know what they say, Grise Fiord is the Paris of the Qikiqtaaluk
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada