HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 8:11 PM
heavy user of walkability

I am, probably not surprisingly, instinctually with Radulovich on this one - I think it would be a big disappointment to lose to car traffic what should be a pedestrian approach and space to the transit center. (sort of the southside counterpart to the (albeit dumbed-down) little plaza next to SF Tower, except better, since retail etc)

also: they just spent a bunch of money and effort re-making that little alley into a cozy walking-friendly passage, only to ruin it?

I need to look at the exact plans to get a more thorough understanding of what will be where, but on the face of it, I don't like the idea of cars back there.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2020, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I don't like the idea of cars back there.
I don't think anyone does.

If I understand things correctly, the garage entrance won't be back there--the cars will mainly be hotel guests coming and going. The article I posted seems to say both the loading dock and car access to the garage will be on the Howard St. side.

Why somebody didn't say, "Hey, wait a minute" at an earlier stage of building design when a porte cochere off Howard or some other solution might have been possible I can't say. But I sure don't want to force a major redesign that could hold up the building for years and the mix of uses--hotel, residential and office--planned for the building definitely requires vehicle access; probably more vehicle access than the curb along Howard could accommodate (building residents, hotel guests coming and going, truck offloading for both hotel and offices etc).

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jan 19, 2020 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:51 AM

Is this cleared to break ground? I know there was a zoning variance hearing on 2/12, but haven't seen anything since then.

https://sfplanning.org/sites/default...0200212_za.pdf

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 5:56 AM

^^The Planning Commission approved it but the decision is sure to be appealed to the BOS and with Democratic machine member Tom Radulovich objecting to certain aspects, no telling what the Board will do.

The info is about 2 pages back.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2020, 12:13 AM

Copying from the SF General thread to the project specific thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing Alligator View Post
Core drilling equipment is running today at Parcel F for soil samples. Perhaps this one will be starting up soon? https://socketsite.com/archives/2020...-approval.html

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:53 PM
Build Baby Build

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:34 AM

^^So I Googled for any news about this project since its approval by the Planning Commission--appeals, permits issued, whatever--and couldn't find anything. Anybody else? From the photos, things are happening but what about the objections to the use of the street from Radulovich et. al.?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 2:23 PM

In March they were granted a permit for archeological exploration. It seems like that's what they are doing.

http://dbiweb.sfgov.org/dbipts/defau...=PermitDetails

Old Posted Oct 15, 2020, 3:02 AM

Anyone have an update on this project? All of the equipment has been moved off the lot.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:19 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman12 View Post
Anyone have an update on this project? All of the equipment has been moved off the lot.
Maybe they were just soil testing.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Maybe they were just soil testing.
Given there is approximately 12,000,000 sq. ft of leasable space now available, a 31% drop in asking rents and limited hotel demand, this project will be asking for lots of extensions before it ever breaks ground.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memester View Post
Given there is approximately 12,000,000 sq. ft of leasable space now available, a 31% drop in asking rents and limited hotel demand, this project will be asking for lots of extensions before it ever breaks ground.
I imagine the target dates and timelines for a project of this scale, we'd be looking at 4-5 years down the road for open doors regardless and that we'll likely see a marginal rebound in commercial leases and returns by then.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 10:54 PM

Socketsite with an update on the strategy for accomplishing the affordable housing component of the project, in the hopes of getting it going a little quicker (or at least more reliably)

Quote:
F4 Transbay Partners is now seeking approval to pay an enhanced in lieu fee of around $45 million to the City’s Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure (OCII) to fund the development of affordable housing in the District rather than include any affordable housing for the tower either on or off-site, a proposal which is slated to be conditionally approved by the Commissioners of the OCII this afternoon.

At the same time, building permits for the Parcel F tower have been requested and are close to being approved.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 8:05 AM

Yes, it sounds like there may yet be some hope for this one. At SF Planning's Project Applications page, there are a few renderings I haven't seen before. Alas, I've no luck with posting pics, maybe someone else will? Some of the renderings feature Oceanwide Center. My favorite is on page 50 of Plans - Set 1. Look under 542-550 Howard:

https://sfplanning.org/page/public-n...t-applications

Last edited by tall/awkward; Feb 15, 2021 at 8:18 AM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Yes, it sounds like there may yet be some hope for this one. At SF Planning's Project Applications page, there are a few renderings I haven't seen before. Alas, I've no luck with posting pics, maybe someone else will? ... My favorite is on page 50 of Plans - Set 1. ...
I had to cheat a bit, but here is the one on page 50, I think:

here is the schematic of the ground floor, since we were discussing car access a while back. this doesn't look toooo bad, with pedestrian space preserved completely from the west, and not too impinged on from the east on the alley side.

the curb cut on Howard is unfortunate, but that stretch was already compromised by the ramp down to the underground parking independent of this project.

Howard side

Last edited by timbad; Feb 18, 2021 at 2:34 AM. Reason: removed last photo since on previous page

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:26 PM

I forgot to upload these too. Some are oldies but nice to see them again:

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 10:14 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, people!

Now that Oceanwide is stalled, I'm really rooting for this one to happen...

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
I forgot to upload these too. Some are oldies ...
most of those are also included in the planning doc that tall/awkward cited, but for the ones that are not, if they are not your own images, you are supposed to cite the source.

separately, I was going to point out in case not clear to anyone that, in this image from the doc, I think the brick building with the green awning, and the one behind it with the red sign are to be demolished when the train tracks are eventually tunneled into the transit center, so the approach from this side will be much more open, through some sort of greenspace.

and a reminder that we have already recently lost a couple buildings on that side, removed when the current transit center was built. this is looking back the other way on Howard in 2011. the little blue building and the larger yellow brick building on the right are gone now, and are approximately where the bus bridge passes over

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I think the brick building with the green awning, and the one behind it with the red sign are to be demolished when the train tracks are eventually tunneled into the transit center, so the approach from this side will be much more open, through some sort of greenspace.
I remember seeing the open space in some of the earlier renderings but assumed that was left open to show the full transit center design.

I can't imagine they're going to flatted that end of the block for the tunnel??

Ref:

And another example that treats Parcel F similarly:

I didn't get a chance to look through the plans to see if there was any additional info and there's nothing mentioned on the project page via Pelli Clarke Pelli.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2021, 10:30 PM

timbad is right. Almost all of those buildings will be demolished. You'd have to dig through the TJPA website and the EIR documents for the particulars, but it's because the track throat will be constructed via cut and cover.

It's sad to lose them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals