HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jun 29, 2018, 4:56 PM

Still looks like a bunch of architectural cliches slapped together.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 7:32 PM
Meh

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...sign-approval/
Quote:
Two projects proposed as Austin’s tallest towers earn unanimous design approval Monday

By Christopher Neely | 9:45 pm Aug. 27, 2018 | Updated 9:51 pm Aug. 27, 2018

Two projects, totaling 1,546 feet in height and 2 million square feet and separated by only two downtown blocks, moved forward Monday night following design approvals.

If the projects earn final approval, they would each eclipse Austin’s current tallest building, The Independent at 801 W. Fifth St., which stands at 685 feet.

The 6th + Guadalupe mixed-use project at 600 Guadalupe St. is proposed to stand as Austin’s tallest tower at just over 837 feet, totaling 1,133,430 square feet. Just two blocks south at 401 W. Fourth St., The Republic office and retail project would stand as Austin’s second-tallest structure, reaching roughly 708 feet high and encompassing 920,500 square feet.

Both projects earned unanimous approval from Austin’s Design Commission, which provides advisory recommendations to the City Council on urban design standards.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:11 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
Still looks like a bunch of architectural cliches slapped together.
At least the Republic will block most of this tower when viewing from the river. Thank God it's not the other way.

-sb

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Extended Stay no longer taking reservations past 1 August on their website.

To verify I called and spoke to a nice young lady who told me that the hotel property had been bought and that they would be shutting down in July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
I fined tuned the available room search, and Sunday July 21 is actually the last day that the hotel is taking reservations. After that date the next closest Extended Stay hotel is at the top of the list of available options.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/us/ame...th-street.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:08 AM

Demolition at the 6 X Guadalupe Tower Site Could Arrive Next Month

Quote:
To build the new tallest tower in Austin, you’ve got to break a few eggs — or, in this case, demolish a completely unremarkable hotel. In other words, the Extended Stay America now occupying the famously “cursed” former home of the late Alamo Hotel at the northwest corner of West Sixth and Guadalupe Streets is not long for this world, with recent city documents pointing to its demolition sometime next month.

Once the site’s cleared, groundbreaking can begin for the 6 X Guadalupe mixed-use tower by developers Lincoln Property Company and Kairoi Residential — Lincoln can’t confirm to us exactly when the old hotel’s getting knocked down, but permit filings related to street closures around the site during the demolition describe work starting on September 3 and lasting until October 15. It may also interest you that the Extended Stay America hotel isn’t taking reservations at this location after the end of August — that seems as good a sign as any that we’re about to get some action here.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 10:00 PM

The developers (Lincoln & Kairoi Residential) announced today that this project is officially underway. The site is currently fenced off for demo.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 4:45 PM

Kairoi Residential, Lincoln Property Company, and DivcoWest Have Closed Financing on the 66-Story Iconic, Mixed-Use, High-Rise Tower in Austin

Quote:
AUSTIN, Texas, October 28, 2019 (Newswire.com) - Kairoi Residential, Lincoln Property Company, and DivcoWest have finalized a joint venture to develop the 6xGuadalupe mixed-use tower in downtown Austin, Texas. Both Lincoln Property Company and Kairoi have extensive experience owning and developing in downtown Austin, and San Francisco-based DivcoWest has a long history in the marketplace and is known for its long-standing relationships with technology tenants.

Mobilization for construction commencement has begun and the official demolition of the existing Extended Stay hotel is currently set for Tuesday, Oct. 29.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Very soporific.

Austin has the worst architecture of the Texas Big 3.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2019, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
Very soporific.

That’s about to change with Google, Republic, et.al.

And unfortunately, Houston’s and Dallas’ pretty much stopped decades ago.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:03 AM
Meh

Quote:
Very soporific.

I don't know, this one isn't my favorite, but I've been thinking of it in the same way that I do the Columbia Center in Seattle, Sears Tower and the US Steel Tower in Pittsburgh. Austin needs a dark tower to offset all the happy go lucky blue ones, and all the better that it be a big one.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 6:56 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I don't know, this one isn't my favorite, but I've been thinking of it in the same way that I do the Columbia Center in Seattle, Sears Tower and the US Steel Tower in Pittsburgh. Austin needs a dark tower to offset all the happy go lucky blue ones, and all the better that it be a big one.
Yeah, it's a great addition and will raise the bar for the skyline! It is definitely not bad and is average at worst. It also reminds me of the AON Center in LA which is wonderfully generic and was that city's tallest and ironically stands only 10 feet taller than this will. That blue light at the top will give the skyline at night some character for sure! It will pave the way for something over 1,000 feet. Once a city gets a building over 800 feet IMO, the skyline has matured.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 3:43 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Very soporific.

Same. Absolutely uninspired regurgitated designs. Even this new tall one is labelled "iconic." What is so iconic about this design, apart from the height alone?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2019, 4:34 PM

Sorry, got to dig in here a little. Houston’s Chase and Dallas’ BofA aren’t exactly lookers.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Same. Absolutely uninspired regurgitated designs. Even this new tall one is labelled "iconic." What is so iconic about this design, apart from the height alone?
I agree with everything here although I will say that I feel like this isn't just an Austin trend, it's architecture *everywhere*. Everything I see being built these days is flat blue all-glass facades leading everything to just look like carbon copies of each other. What happened to mixing materials and having some texture? I see very few things being built these days with some kind of texture variation, color variation, or personality. Even the 1 WTC and Hudson Yards in NYC is nothing but flat blue glass panels and the only thing interesting thing they have going for them is their geometric shape.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:16 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Sorry, got to dig in here a little. Houston’s Chase and Dallas’ BofA aren’t exactly lookers.
Dallas' BOA Plaza is a good looking building

https://g.foolcdn.com/image/?url=htt...=700&op=resize

https://g.foolcdn.com/image/?url=htt...=700&op=resize

https://i.redd.it/gb7usmucjlp21.jpg
https://i.redd.it/gb7usmucjlp21.jpg

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jan 14, 2020 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Please use hyperlinks for unsourced off-topic images

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 10:51 PM
Ω

Frankenstein's monster

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
Dallas' BOA Plaza is a good looking building
Just as importantly, it's a "clean" looking building. I guess that's the difference between all office vs mixed use/residential. This new proposal for Austin is a jumbled mess. The top half is ghastly, and the crown in particular... horrific.

The bottom half is a nice enough looking office block on its own. The glass could be very high quality there. However, it also looks like a few of the other ones Austin has already built recently. I visited the city in 2009 to see if I would consider moving there, particularly out of excitement for the ongoing building boom. While the boom has been transformative, the designs just aren't that appealing. The city looks like a big blue blob now. An impressively large and growing big blue blob, but still, not as interesting as it should have been.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:18 AM

I noticed that only one rendering of the final product has been posted. First the site from about a week ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/952110...h/49352749366/

Some renderings:

The Architect: https://www.instagram.com/george_blume3/

https://www.gensler.com/projects/600...treet?o=austin

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 5:04 PM
Meh

This is officially under construction now as they've started the foundation. The two crane bases are in place also. The tallest crane will be 925 feet tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is from a week ago and shows both crane bases.

https://www.instagram.com/walkableaustin/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 7:37 PM

Those renderings are so good I thought the building was finished. If many of the proposed buildings in Austin get built it will probably have my favorite TX skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction