HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 7:02 PM

Good to see that both 1043 W Fulton and 1400 W Randolph are both about 50% up in height. I'm becoming a fan of the large 12-25+ story dense buildings more and more, especially when a bunch are put together.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 8:39 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
1125 Van Buren looks fantastic. But the people with those east facing balconies are gonna get royally fucked over when a tower gets built next door. Luckily they ain’t condos or you’d have about 52 Jartas on your hands...
Good thing Related already has the zoning they need to build a tower next door... although they went in with a revision to make some tweaks, and Ald. Sigcho just sat on it.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2021, 10:31 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
April 12

The drill rigs are just below the V
Love that Hubbard's cave is slowly filling and beginning to form an endcap to the growing 90/94 skyscraper canyon.

Anyone know if the parking lot at Wayman & Halsted as well as the fallow land north of the MD-N/MD-W lines can be developed? I assume any development would be quite complex (perhaps impossible?) with the expressway running underneath.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 1:55 AM
The City

Various downtown and west loop projects:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 4:09 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 5:12 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Love that Hubbard's cave is slowly filling and beginning to form an endcap to the growing 90/94 skyscraper canyon.

Anyone know if the parking lot at Wayman & Halsted as well as the fallow land north of the MD-N/MD-W lines can be developed? I assume any development would be quite complex (perhaps impossible?) with the expressway running underneath.
The Wayman/Halsted lot is apparently owned jointly by R2 Companies and Walton Street Capital. I'm sure if there was a way to develop it, they'd be looking into it. Certainly there's a way to do it structurally.

Unfortunately I know IDOT still has a boneheaded idea (not a formal plan) that they might rebuild Hubbard's Cave and add a lane to the Kennedy in the future, so I doubt they will permit any development that blocks that possibility in the future. In the meantime they are insisting on a 15' setback from the edge of the highway for all new development.

The land immediately north of the tracks is U/C right now for the new highrise. West of that, between Halsted and Green, there was an old plan to build a data center in the 2000s but now that Fulton is such a hot submarket for office and residential, there's no way that happens.

There's also a reserved strip between K2 and the new highrise, running east west, to allow for a rail tunnel portal in the future if the city ever wants to build the West Loop Transportation Center under Clinton or Canal.

Last edited by ardecila; Apr 19, 2021 at 5:29 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Condo tower at 37 S. Sangamon was approved by the plan commission: https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/c...rk-37-sangamon
Kinda looks like someone lopped the top off One Bennett, de-beiged it, and dropped it in the WL.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Kinda looks like someone lopped the top off One Bennett, de-beiged it, and dropped it in the WL.
I'll take a dozen of them spread around the city, all in different non-beiges

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:34 AM

There is a zoning app for a major project at 1132 W Lake and 1133 W Lake. This was actually talked about in June 2019 nearly 2 years ago, although I'm not sure if the renderings or anything was shared here. Developer is LG Development. Total development calls for 665 total units.

LG has renderings on their site but based on the drawings, they don't look recent anymore compared to this. It also looks like they added some more to the last proposal.. Here is a drawing - yes, that's 4 new high rises for this 1 development. This is a pretty short walk to the Morgan Green Line stop, and Google offices, along with other more recent new offices in the area.

1) 1132 W Lake - Entire vacant lot between Racine and May St. I think this is listed as 2 towers but basically 222 foot max height here with a 24 foot podium. Most of it might be set back a little in the podium but looks like the part on Racine won't be. 179 total units with 29 parking spaces. Retail on the corner of Lake and May St.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-87.6557039

2) Across the street from #1...first up is SW corner of Lake & May - replacing the 1 story International Seafoods building with a new 330 foot tall tower and another adjoining 250 foot tower on May St next to it. A 55 foot podium would span the entirety of May St from Lake to Randolph. The portion of Randolph St which this will take up is currently a vacant lot. Multiple retail spaces along May St. Existing buildings on Randolph will stay.

From the corner: https://www.google.com/maps/place/11...!4d-87.6557039

From Randolph St:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8843...7i16384!8i8192

Sharing the same height podium (same exact podium more or less I'm pretty sure) as #2...there will be a 14 story 176 foot tall building on Racine. There is currently a 1 story building here which would be torn down. The current 5 story building just south of this on Racine wouldn't be torn down.

Multiple retail spaces along Lake st.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8854...7i16384!8i8192

This section has a total of 486 units and 261 parking spots.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There is a zoning app for a major project at 1132 W Lake and 1133 W Lake. This was actually talked about in June 2019 nearly 2 years ago, although I'm not sure if the renderings or anything was shared here...
Is this the same project? But they're trading the office building for another tower and more apartments?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Is this the same project? But they're trading the office building for another tower and more apartments?
That's the one. The largest sub area looks similar to the renders, but the north section which used to be office will be different. Also what's replacing the previously proposed office portion is probably going to be double or more the height it looks like. Thanks for finding those renderings.

Some more renderings here:
https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/..._lake_pres.pdf

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:41 AM

Quote:
There is a zoning app for a major project at 1132 W Lake and 1133 W Lake. This was actually talked about in June 2019 nearly 2 years ago, although I'm not sure if the renderings or anything was shared here. Developer is LG Development. Total development calls for 665 total units.

LG has renderings on their site but based on the drawings, they don't look recent anymore compared to this. It also looks like they added some more to the last proposal.. Here is a drawing - yes, that's 4 new high rises for this 1 development. This is a pretty short walk to the Morgan Green Line stop, and Google offices, along with other more recent new offices in the area.

This section has a total of 486 units and 261 parking spots.
Can you please post the zoning link from where the PDF can be downloaded. I didn't see it when searching the website.

Sometime the legislation website is frustrating and its easier if you can post the links when you see them.

Last edited by BVictor1; Apr 20, 2021 at 6:28 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Can you please post the zoning link from where the PDF can be downloaded. I didn't see it when searching the website.

Sometime the legislation website is frustrating and its easier if you can post the links when you see them.
https://chicago.legistar.com/Legisla...vanced&Search=

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 11:58 AM

Great news, thanks marothisu!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks...

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...000-apartments

April 20, 2021 10:26 AM 10 MINUTES AGO
Fulton Market projects would bring over 1,000 apartments
A pair of proposals from the same developer amount to the most ambitious residential plans to date for the former meatpacking district.

DANNY ECKER

Quote:
A Chicago developer that pitched plans before the COVID-19 pandemic to build two office buildings and a hotel in the middle of the Fulton Market District has scrapped the projects in favor of a vision to develop more than 1,000 apartments there instead.

In one of two projects that amount to the most ambitious residential proposal to date for the former meatpacking district, a venture of Chicago-based LG Development has pivoted from its original 2019 plan for an 11-story office building along the north side of Lake Street between May and Racine streets to propose a 20-story, 179-unit apartment building on the site, according to a zoning application that will be introduced to City Council this week.

Quote:
Separately, LG also is preparing to issue plans for a residential project a block away at 210 N. Aberdeen St. that would include almost 400 more apartment units, according to LG Chief Investment Officer Danny Haughney. That would be a sharp turn from another 2019 plan LG rolled out to develop a 21-story office building and 17-story hotel on the site.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:33 PM
The City

^ Hmmm... that's too bad.

I really wish the office/hotel market rebounds at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 5:45 PM
TL;DR

Part of it was the economy ruining prospects for office/hotel, but the city also just opened up the floodgates for residential north of Lake. I'm glad they were able to pivot and re-program the project instead of canceling it outright.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Part of it was the economy ruining prospects for office/hotel, but the city also just opened up the floodgates for residential north of Lake. I'm glad they were able to pivot and re-program the project instead of canceling it outright.
Same, I'm happier that some of the "North of Lake" projects are becoming residential so that there's a more seamless transition between offices, residential, and hotels throughout Fulton Market

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 7:44 PM

Dosen't look like the design has changed much on the original residential tower.
And what was the office tower has now doubled in height which is nice.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 3:55 PM

They started to take the red crane down on Fulton Labs yesterday.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations