HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:30 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
That is what mot people are hoping for. The problem will become whether the degrees will be worth anything in the real world. The reputation of this univericity is tarnished.
I don't think that will likely happen. As someone on Quora said when discussing the value of degrees from a university that shuts down:

Quote:
I think it depends on the reasons for that university shutting down. If it was a fraud, and it gets shut down because of that, it seems to me only logical that any degrees it awarded must be recognised for what they are — valueless.

But if the university was properly constituted, and its offerings properly bench-marked, I can see no reason why they should be affected when the university’s life comes to an end. In South Africa a number of universities ceased to exist in 2004 or so, as a result of mergers. Examples are Fort Hare; Rand Afrikaans University; Potchefstroom University; and Vista University. These were all very reputable universities and the degrees they awarded before the mergers remain recognised.
Now, I don't think this applies to Laurentian since I'm not sure if it'll shut down, but it is food for thought.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 12:30 PM

UQO, the long neglected campus of the Université du Québec.

https://www.ledroit.com/actualites/e...gHPr4HfPfXTrFk

The campus is finally getting some love with a $61 million envelope from the Province to unify its campus.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 4:33 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...alth-1.5996416

Quote:
Laurentian financial crisis not typical of post-secondary sector, other northeastern schools say

Colleges and universities across the north say they're not experiencing the same kind of financial crisis playing out at Laurentian University.

Although there has been some uncertainty over the past year due to the pandemic, seven of the eight colleges and universities in northeastern Ontario report to be in good fiscal health while Laurentian implements lay-offs and program cuts through a court-ordered restructuring brought on by insolvency.

"What's important for us right now is that northern communities in particular, understand that this is not every university in northern Ontario. It's very complex and specific to Laurentian," says Asima Vezina, president and vice-chancellor at Algoma University in Sault Ste Marie.

"The university sector as a whole is not experiencing the same kinds of issues that Laurentian is dealing with," she added.

Prior to the pandemic, she says, Algoma made decisions that allowed the school to continue operating through the unpredictable past year.

"For Algoma we've made some very strategic decisions in the last three years to ensure the university could sustain itself through challenging times like the current context, and also not be reliant on only a couple of different revenue sources," she said.

However, Vezina believes there are lessons to be learned from the ordeal unfolding at Laurentian.

"Hindsight is always 20/20, but we can learn from Laurentian's story — for lack of a better word — and I think it will help all of us as we're doing planning in a very uncertain context."

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 4:41 AM
Community Guy

U of A ranks among world’s top universities striving for a sustainable world

University places 64th in latest global ranking of schools making an impact toward achieving UN’s Sustainable Development Goals for 2030.

April 21, 2021 By Michael Brown

According to the third annual Times Higher Education (THE) Impact Ranking, which lists participating universities by their contribution to a list of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to be achieved by 2030 as outlined by the United Nations, the U of A is the world’s 64th most sustainable university.

The U of A placed in all 17 SDGs, ranking highest in the global goals of Life on Land and Zero Hunger, finishing 14th and 16th, respectively.

https://www.ualberta.ca/folio/2021/0...eid=b81cde227f

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 1:34 PM
ハルウララ

Read this tweet in January and I think about it a lot:

@Bro_Neill
Americans only love the college experience because it's the only time in their lives they live in walkable communities

https://twitter.com/Bro_Neill/status...55127216910336

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 8:39 PM

Last edited by J.OT13; May 3, 2021 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:14 PM
Community Guy

Insolvent Laurentian buys more time.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...ourt-1.6011300

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 4:04 PM
Community Guy

More higher learning opportunities in central Alberta

May 04, 2021 Media inquiries
Red Deer College is poised to become Alberta’s newest polytechnic, ensuring residents have access to a wide variety of learning options close to home now and in the future.

Becoming a polytechnic enables Red Deer College to better align programming with local student, business and industry needs – including high-quality degrees, apprenticeship education and diploma programs.

Alberta’s government worked in partnership with Red Deer College and student leaders to determine the most flexible and best-fit model for central Alberta, with a goal of ensuring students have access to the education they need and employers in the region have access to the talent they need.

“I am thrilled that Red Deer College will become central Alberta’s polytechnic institution, best positioning it to provide residents with the wide range of educational options they need to build rewarding careers – right in their community. Ensuring all Albertans have access to opportunities to build their skills for in-demand local jobs empowers people to achieve success close to home, helps strengthen and grow communities, as well as attracting investment to the province.”

Demetrios Nicolaides, Minister of Advanced Education
Red Deer College and the students, faculty and staff on campus play a key role in the community and local economy. The college began operations in 1964, and since then has expanded its offerings to include more than 100 programs across a range of credentials. With strong connections to business, innovation, health care, non-profits and many other organizations, Red Deer College and its students have an important role in the culture and vibrancy of the central Alberta region. The partnerships, work-integrated learning and collaboration already in place will continue to be enhanced through the polytechnic model.

“We are very supportive of the polytechnic designation because this model will allow us to build on our strengths to become an ever more innovative institution that will best serve our students, partners, industry and community members. Becoming a polytechnic achieves all of the goals we have had for many years, and it allows us to consider exciting new possibilities for the future.”

Guy Pelletier, chair, Red Deer College Board of Governors
“The breadth of programs and credentials we will offer as a polytechnic institution are exactly what this region needs. By offering students applied and work-integrated learning across all programs – from trades to our own degrees – we will assist graduates to achieve their goals and be highly employable within the ever-changing needs of the labour market. This is the ideal future for our institution.”

Peter Nunoda, president, Red Deer College
“Red Deer is ready for a polytechnic. Students of central Alberta want to learn and live close to their support systems. We need to stop the brain drain and focus on what really matters most – making sure our population is well-educated and remains in this region.”

Savannah Snow, president, Students’ Association of Red Deer College
Red Deer is Alberta’s third largest city and a key social and economic hub for central Alberta. By shifting Red Deer College to a polytechnic and supporting expanded programming to include new degree and apprenticeship opportunities, we are ensuring students have the skills they need to build rewarding careers and employers have the talented workforce they need to grow the economy.

“Red Deer city council, our community and our region remain dedicated to supporting Red Deer College, students and staff who work every day to ensure RDC remains a key competitive post-secondary institution. We need to be a competitive contender in keeping and attracting new population to our city, and one of the most promising means of doing so is through the development of a skilled labour force, offering a broader spectrum of career options locally, and attracting a population who will stay and strengthen our local economy through their future contributions in various sectors.”

Tara Veer, mayor, City of Red Deer
These changes also align with the goals of the Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs strategy, and were considered as part of consultations to form the strategy.

An official new name for the institution has not yet been chosen but is expected to be announced in the coming months. Alberta’s government will continue to work with Red Deer College to ensure a successful path to polytechnic status.

Quick facts

Polytechnic status in Alberta enables institutions to offer apprenticeship education along with degree, diploma and certificate programs.
Red Deer College is currently approved to offer three degree programs, including the recently approved bachelor of science in biological sciences degree.
The institution has also put forward four degree program proposals to Advanced Education for program approval review. These include:
bachelor of arts (psychology)
bachelor of science (psychology)
bachelor of business administration
bachelor of education
The Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs strategy is a transformational vision and direction for Alberta’s higher education system, which will develop a highly skilled and competitive workforce, strengthen innovation and commercialization of research and forge stronger relationships between employers and post-secondary institutions.
Related information

Alberta 2030: Building Skills for Jobs
Multimedia

Watch the news conference

Media inquiries

Taylor Hides
587-590-3850
Press Secretary, Advanced Education
Jeff Maser
403-896-3832
Communications Coordinator, Red Deer College

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:20 PM

Greats drone shots from U. de Montréal.

https://youtu.be/FjcUrVMwQgE

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:55 PM

Western University

Old Posted Jun 18, 2021, 1:53 AM
The Vomit Bag.

yeah, that is a great shot. taken from Brescia Hill
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2021, 1:02 PM

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:42 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alegan View Post

That new building is garish and clashes terribly with Arthur Erickson's iconic buildings.
Agree. It should never have been allowed to be built in that location. Are they blind? They were blessed with one of the most unique and amazing vistas in the country and they've wrecked it. Stuff like this just leaves one exasperated. Who ever signed off on that needs to be sacked. Hopefully 40-50 years down the road that modern building can be taken down and the site restored to its former glory.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:38 AM

^ They are completely separate buildings, I honestly don't understand your beef about this.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 1:41 AM
Community Guy

It is an insult to the original layout/design/beauty of it all.

The pimple of pimples.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:13 AM

We might as well build entire cities in Adobe architecture with that logic.
Variety is good, pimple or not.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:46 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 3:27 AM

That article does nothing to change my mind.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
We might as well build entire cities in Adobe architecture with that logic.
Variety is good, pimple or not.
By that same logic, I suppose some sort of postmodern addition to Parliament Hill would also be appropriate? Sometimes a collection of buildings is a meaningful architectural unit. That doesn't mean the addition has to be in the same style as the other buildings anymore than an addition to a building, but in this case it is clearly not in harmony with the rest of the campus and I would agree it detracts from the other buildings.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 12:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
By that same logic, I suppose some sort of postmodern addition to Parliament Hill would also be appropriate? Sometimes a collection of buildings is a meaningful architectural unit. That doesn't mean the addition has to be in the same style as the other buildings anymore than an addition to a building, but in this case it is clearly not in harmony with the rest of the campus and I would agree it detracts from the other buildings.
Generally (but not absolutely) agree.

Variety is good, but occasionally it is important to maintain the architectural integrity of entire neighbourhoods (thinking of the modernist addition planned for the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa which is an insult to the entire city).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada