HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 12:09 AM
Community Guy

Maybe I am a purist, but I really hope there is another way forward for the CFL... and that being all Canadian.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 5:11 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Me too.
I guess if the only choice left is CFL/XFL merger or no football in Canada at all I’ll take the merger but I hope there is still another way to preserve the CFL.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:01 PM
Community Guy

Canadiana continues to be eroded

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
If it means the survival of CFL football, or football in general in this country, then I'm in favour...

So long as it doesn't turn into a minor league "AHL" type of league... But, that's not say the CFL isn't already, considering it is every CFL players aspiration to compete in the best league in the world, and teams, in general, are pretty good wiht allowing players pursue that dream
It isn't - it makes it's own rules, owns its own teams, hires/contracts it's own coaches and players, have their own identities. Nobody is "sending players down" or "calling them up".

Players in sports all over the world dream of moving up to bigger leagues. Is every soccer league but the EPL/Bund/SerieA an "AHL minor league" because the players want to go there for the money and competition?

Separately - I'm so goddamned sick of the "will they won't they" of if we have a season from the teams. Shut the fuck up until it's a sure thing. I thought it was supposed to be a sure thing when they released a schedule.

I tend to check 3-down every day just out of habit, but I think I'm at the point that I'm going to tune out of it all until people start walking by my house on game day.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
It isn't - it makes it's own rules, owns its own teams, hires/contracts it's own coaches and players, have their own identities. Nobody is "sending players down" or "calling them up".

Players in sports all over the world dream of moving up to bigger leagues. Is every soccer league but the EPL/Bund/SerieA an "AHL minor league" because the players want to go there for the money and competition?
Don't get me wrong, I totally understand that it's not a minor league. And especially not minor league caliber... a lot of the players were all-stars in each of the respective college conferences. The talent is still second to none, that requires different skill sets, due to the CFL rules - which I very much prefer than to our neighbors to the south. Just because a certain player with skill sets tailored to American rules, does not mean that translates to Canadian ball - we've seen that time and time again... I'm a huge CFL supporter, Stamps STH, and try to watch as much football I can when I am able to. CFL ball really helped me get through my university years, and my years now working as a professional that helps take my mind completely off the stresses that go with life... a getaway, so to say... I am happy too that the players strive to make it to the NFL, I'd watch as many Eagles games as I could, to root for Singleton, who is a true class act - one of the classiest in all of sport - I ran into him in the Calgary airport one time and approached him to tell him my boy wears his jersey - he said to keep rockin it - and wished him all the best in Philly.

CFL ball is exciting, no matter the insults by those pretend "fantasy" football fans, who really are only fans of the NFL simply because of fantasy football. They don't watch football for the game, they watch football for their players, and defenses. beyond that, they have no credibility to judge the game and the players themselves.

Quote:
Separately - I'm so goddamned sick of the "will they won't they" of if we have a season from the teams. Shut the fuck up until it's a sure thing. I thought it was supposed to be a sure thing when they released a schedule.

I tend to check 3-down every day just out of habit, but I think I'm at the point that I'm going to tune out of it all until people start walking by my house on game day.
Agree... I'm convinced there will be a season, in some way, with hopefully full capacity at least by Labour Day... one of my favorite days of the year is the battle of Alberta, with the CF-18 fly by's...

Anyway, I am on your side.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2021, 3:35 PM
Community Guy

^agreed. The Labour Day back to back is pretty much why I have my tickets.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2021, 10:50 PM

https://3downnation.com/2021/03/29/b...llion-in-2020/

Blue Bombers post nearly $7 million loss in 2020

We’re getting our first glimpse into the effects of the CFL not playing football in 2020.

The Winnipeg Blue Bombers released their 2020 annual report on Monday and there’s no shortage of red ink.

According to the franchise, the team lost $6,982,217 last year due to the fact that there were no games played nor could any events be held at IG Field.

“The unprecedented and rapid spread of COVID-19 and the related restrictions that were implemented in Canada throughout 2020 had a devastating impact on live sporting events across the country, which ultimately led to the cancellation of the 2020 CFL football season,” president and CEO Wade Miller said in a statement.

“This had a detrimental impact on the club, not only with the cancellation of the 2020 season but the shutdown of all events at IG Field.”

The team also had to pay $3.4 million to operate the stadium despite the fact that it was closed for most of the year.

On the revenue side of things, Winnipeg was able to offset some costs by still bringing in $1.33 million in what they call “game day revenue” which includes concessions and merchandise. They also received $3.1 million in aid from the government including $2.9 million in Canadian Emergency Wage Subsidy.

However, it wasn’t nearly enough to cover the $32.3 million dollar drop in revenue. In 2019, the Bombers posted an operating profit of $3.5 million.

“The Winnipeg Football Club has a strong history of profitability. The club entered 2020 on very solid financial footing with net assets of $12.9 million, including an operating reserve of $4.1 million,” Miller said.

“We will weather this storm and get back on the field to defend our Grey Cup Championship.”

Old Posted Mar 30, 2021, 10:43 PM

https://www.xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/...-both-leagues/

CFLXFL/CFL ‘Smart Season’ That Could Work For Both Leagues

Recently XFL co-owner Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson responded to a tweet about the CFL and mentioned something about a ‘smart season’. The full quote was.

“We’ll figure out a smart season that’ll create phenomenal opportunities for players and be the best experience for fans.”

TSN’s Jim Mullin tweeted about comparing a potential XFL/CFL schedule to ones used by soccer

“If the soccer world can play for different national and continental competitions at the same time, why can’t two football leagues? Leave the rule discussion on the side for a second. Is this achievable? #CFL #XFL. For discussion purposes only, please no wagering.”

XFL and CFL training camp in march, april to june 10 game xfl,cfl schedule, interleague playoffs in July.

Assuming that July was playoff month for the XFL. This would be flex scheduling for the CFL and games won in the playoffs could count towards the CFL’s regular season. CFL teams not in the playoffs could use this time as bye weeks.

CFL teams performing well in the XFL/CFL playoffs would get their bye weeks in August. For CFL players, this could mean extra money not part of their regular salary.

The XFL and CFL could play a handfull of games against each other during the April through June months. With the XFL season stopping in August, just before the college football and NFL season.

The CFL, with a new interest in their league from US fans, could continue as they normally do, with the Grey Cup in November.

This would be a win-win for both sides, without having a full-blown merger. Package this deal to a TV partner and you have a full football schedule during the spring and summer months. This would occur right after March Madness in the US and that US TV money would flow into Canada.

Would this idea fit the criteria mentioned in The Rock’s tweet?

“that’ll create phenomenal opportunities for players” – players will get paid extra for playing in the playoffs on top of their salaries. Both CFL and XFL players would get exposure to US TV with primetime playoff games.

“be the best experience for fans.” – the fan buzz and betting around a CFL vs XFL playoffs would be huge. This would also keep the XFL a US property and CFL a Canadian property.

This, of course, is all just speculation. The question is, Do We Smell What The Rock’s Got Cookin?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:34 AM
Community Guy

Snagged this yesterday.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 1:58 AM

Nice find!

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 7:24 PM

With the way the pandemic is spreading in Canada right now I am very worried if any sort of cfl season will get off the ground this year. The league should maybe consider playing games in a bubble in Texas as where fans are allowed.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2021, 1:12 AM

Excellent Excellent interview here below with Jim Mullin president of Football Canada head of amateur football in Canada (he worked with TSN) with his thoughts on the potential CFL/XFL merger-alliance, how MLSE grew the Toronto Marlies support in the GTA and how they need to do that with the Argos with grassroots hard work and not a silver Bullitt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qrnAeBa-8k

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:53 PM

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/19/a...ts-uniqueness/

Alouettes co-owner Gary Stern intrigued by potential with XFL: ‘It would have to be something great for CFL to trade its uniqueness

Montreal Alouettes co-owner Gary Stern is in favour of potentially partnering with the XFL.

Owners from both leagues have agreed to work together to identify opportunities to innovate and grow the game of football. The Rock has stated he’s excited for the ‘unique opportunity’ the CFL and XFL ‘can potentially create together.’

“If it keeps the CFL integrity and most of what we have intact, you’re talking about a much more global league, which can only be better than just Canada,” Stern told Montreal Gazette reporter Herb Zurkowsky.

“The exposure is so much better than just being a Canadian league. That’s a straight business way of just looking at it. If it can’t happen, we’re going to have a CFL that, we all know, needs some kind of reset and fixing.”

The most recent incarnation of the XFL lasted just five games before the COVID-19 pandemic put their season on hold, which led to Vince McMahon filing for bankruptcy and selling. RedBird Capital, Dwayne Johnson, and Dany Garcia were selected as the winning bidders. It cost $15 million and the goal is to make the XFL a stable league in the future, which could include an agreement with the CFL.

“I’m not saying you move it ahead at all costs or we give up the CFL and everything it stands for. Am I happy playing three downs? I love that. I love its uniqueness,” Stern said.

“It would have to be something great for our league in order to trade that. I’d have to see the whole package — if the package ever happens.”

According to reports, the CFL collectively lost between $60 and $80 million not playing last season. Without an infusion of cash, either from the government, RedBird Capital, or the passing of single-game sports betting in Canada, the league would take another large financial hit regardless of what happens in 2021.

“They’re well-funded, well-versed and know what it takes to run a business. The team they’ve assembled certainly knows a lot about running sports teams. I’ve been in business; these are real solid, good people,” Stern said and noted he’s prepared to play without fans in the stands.

“I’m not hiding. I told you I’m in. I’m committed. I’m not running anywhere. We’re funding it.”

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:12 PM
Community Guy

14 game schedule with an August start.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 5:46 PM

Not like anyone really watched the CFL in years. I'm going to pass

Go woke...go broke.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Go woke...go broke.
What are you mad at the CFL about?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 7:22 PM

Fingers crossed they can play

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:40 PM

https://3downnation.com/2021/04/21/b...-fans-allowed/

B.C. Lions president Rick LeLacheur ‘comfortable proceeding’ with CFL season if 4,000-5,000 fans allowed

When commissioner Randy Ambrosie announced the official postponement of the CFL season on Wednesday, he placed an important caveat on the targeted August 5th start date: fans in the stands.

Specifically, the CFL will require government permission for “a significant number of fans in the stands in a significant number of venues at the start of the season.” While the league left that criteria vague, we now know what “significant” looks like in at least one CFL city.

“We’ve been working with BC Place on a formula of about 17 to 18 percent of the lower deck, which would put us somewhere around 4,000 to 5,000. Nothing is written in stone yet. I think personally, I’d be satisfied if we could get that in and start playing,” B.C. Lions president Rick LeLacheur told reporters following the commissioner’s announcement.

“I know every stadium is different, but if we could get 4,000 to 5,000, then I think I’d be quite comfortable in proceeding on that basis.”

That 4,000-fan threshold could end up mattering to far more than just Lions fans. With the pandemic’s third wave still ripping through Quebec and Ontario, the CFL could front-load games in fan-friendly western jurisdictions while awaiting eastern approval.

While LeLacheur knows what capacity his organization is comfortable with, he can’t speak for the rest of the league and ultimately the voice that matters most will be the provincial government.

“Everybody has a different model and it doesn’t matter what your model is or what your desire is, it’s going to come down to what provincial health officers approve. We just don’t know what that will be at each facility right now,” he admitted frankly.

Fans remain the most important factor but the Lions have already received tentative approval from the B.C. government on their return-to-play proposal. The team remains in a unique situation, seeking approval to operate from three separate health authorities: one for games at BC Place, another for their Surrey practice facility, and a third in Kamloops, where they still intend to host training camp.

The Lions anticipate that will commence the usual three weeks before the regular season opener and are hopeful that not only their American and Canadians players will be vaccinated before they gather.

A vaccinated roster — and hopefully fan base — could help expand those attendance projections for an retractable roof, open-air stadium like BC Place. The goal of maximized attendance is shared by all stakeholders, even those who make the tough public health decisions.

“I do know this, that the government of B.C. will do all they can to help us in getting back not only to play, but also trying to get as many fans as we can into B.C. Place,” LeLacheur insisted.

Full stadiums are not something he’s anticipating at any point — even if they are allowed elsewhere — and there will be no recouping the losses absorbed in 2020 from gate revenue alone. The CFL reportedly lost between $60 and $80 million last year and the Lions were no exception, with government subsidies providing by far their largest source of revenue.

The losses will continue to build this year but as LeLacheur sees it, getting back on the field is about more than the bottom-line.

“We will clearly have a loss this year and with playing it will be a bigger loss than it was last year. We know that and going forward this is all about, at least in my opinion, trying to get as many games as we can in for the players more so than we are for our revenues, because they’re not substantial going forward,” he acknowledged.

That’s a harbinger of tumultuous times to come, but for right now the CFL has a path set for live football in 2021 and fans in Vancouver have something to look forward to.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2021, 10:43 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

At least the silence is over.
Sounds encouraging.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What are you mad at the CFL about?

Huh...

First off....I've been a CFL fan my entire life as a kid and... As a 14 year old on field attendant and life long supporter. Including my entire family as paid and volunteer basis. What I...and we see is NOTHING that resembles the Character or Quality that we are use to with the CFL. Simply said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada