HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
The last Bank Street project was, what, almost a decade ago now?
Yeah, Downtown Bank and the Glebe (maybe Old Ottawa South) were 10-15 years ago. Not sure what the plans are south of Billings Bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
"Montreal Road businesses say they're hoping for more customers now that a two-kilometre stretch under construction since 2019 is once again open to two-way traffic and transit.

The $64-million project spans from North River Road to St. Laurent Boulevard and involves a complete revitalization of the street, with 900 metres of buried hydro lines plus new sewers, water mains and storm drains."
That's disappointing. I assume that's the Vanier stretch. Above ground is probably from around Lafontaine to St. Laurent where commercial activity is low. Still, burying hydro lines should be the standard now, especially in urban areas like this.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Yeah, Downtown Bank and the Glebe (maybe Old Ottawa South) were 10-15 years ago. Not sure what the plans are south of Billings Bridge.

That's disappointing. I assume that's the Vanier stretch. Above ground is probably from around Lafontaine to St. Laurent where commercial activity is low. Still, burying hydro lines should be the standard now, especially in urban areas like this.
It seemed that the poles are right in the middle of the cycle track on Montreal Road, which is pretty awkward.

The Glebe was done just before Lansdowne, so around 2012-13. Old Ottawa South was done a few years earlier and they buried hydro for that project.

South of Billings Bridge, I don't know how they transform Bank Street from 1950s-1960s car oriented retail. A couple of small sidewalk oriented projects have not been particularly successful. With no real transit plan improving transit and giving transit more priority, will there be any significant change? I doubt it. Before the Transitway, transit used to be much more oriented towards the Bank Street retail strip. Now, Bank Street transit is isolated with little connection to the surrounding neighbourhoods. This has increased the car orientation. We have been going backwards.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Oct 24, 2022 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2022, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
It seemed that the poles are right in the middle of the cycle track on Montreal Road, which is pretty awkward.

The Glebe was done just before Lansdowne, so around 2012-13. Old Ottawa South was done a few years earlier and they buried hydro for that project.

South of Billings Bridge, I don't know how they transform Bank Street from 1950s-1960s car oriented retail. A couple of small sidewalk oriented projects have not been particularly successful. With no real transit plan improving transit and giving transit more priority, will there be any significant change? I doubt it. Before the Transitway, transit used to be much more oriented towards the Bank Street retail strip. Now, Bank Street transit is isolated with little connection to the surrounding neighbourhoods. This has increased the car orientation. We have been going backwards.
Thee is a thread for this project already…. But here is what is being proposed for bank …

https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...ledbury-avenue

I just find it odd that they are ripping up bank for sewers etc but will not bury power lines…

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 12:38 PM

I'll miss Fleury's video blogs.

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 1, 2022, 5:34 PM

Quote:
South of Billings Bridge, I don't know how they transform Bank Street from 1950s-1960s car oriented retail.
We don't, as long as we keep approving new land uses and buildings that have terrible relationships with the street, especially suburban-level "setbacks".

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 1:50 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 4:43 PM

Has anyone driven on the "new" Montreal Road yet? They did one heck of a terrible job. Patchy as all hell, rough asphalting around every man hole, lines that are barely visible (or just not visible at all).

And of course, sidewalks are often poorly or not plowed at all, snow banks at each intersection.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Has anyone driven on the "new" Montreal Road yet? They did one heck of a terrible job. Patchy as all hell, rough asphalting around every man hole, lines that are barely visible (or just not visible at all).

And of course, sidewalks are often poorly or not plowed at all, snow banks at each intersection.
I drove on it opening day back in October. The project was clearly not finished. I expect that this explains some of things that you describe. When all the construction is completed and cleaned up, hopefully it will be much better.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:35 PM

Quote:
I drove on it opening day back in October. The project was clearly not finished. I expect that this explains some of things that you describe. When all the construction is completed and cleaned up, hopefully it will be much better.
I hope that's the case. It's possible they ran out of time to finish it properly (though considering the weather we had, they probably had an extra two months).

Feels like the stop-gap solutions could easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 5:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
I hope that's the case. It's possible they ran out of time to finish it properly (though considering the weather we had, they probably had an extra two months).

Feels like the stop-gap solutions could easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
It's common practice to lay the first layer of asphalt on a reconstructed roadway in the fall, then let traffic over the winter assist with the settling process. Come spring the top lift is applied, nice and flat, and final markings are painted.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
It's common practice to lay the first layer of asphalt on a reconstructed roadway in the fall, then let traffic over the winter assist with the settling process. Come spring the top lift is applied, nice and flat, and final markings are painted.
So it should be built-in to the budget. I guess I never really noticed this anywhere before. Or I always assume it's incompetence. I've become quite cynical overtime.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 8:23 PM

There's info on the website on the remaining work:

Quote:
2023 work
Looking forward to the 2023 construction season, the following remaining work is scheduled to be completed in summer 2023:

Final asphalt lift from Marier Avenue to St. Laurent Boulevard
Commissioning of the cycle track from Begin Street to St. Laurent Boulevard
Completion of all remaining landscaping, street furniture, pavement marking and signage
Construction of the south side Montreal Road cycle track from North River Road to Montgomery Street
Modifications at the Montreal Road and North River Road intersection
Construction of the multi-use path (MUP) proving a cycling connection from Mark Avenue to the Vanier Parkway
Installation of the electronic Vanier community sign at the Montreal Road and Vanier Parkway intersection
Implementation of traffic calming features along the north leg of North River Road
https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...f-420aba2ddfbe

Old Posted Jul 28, 2023, 7:57 PM

Looks like this might finally be finished. Pavement and markings looks complete.

The project began in 2019...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation