HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Congratulations to Calgary for clinching the conference.

And way to go Ovechkin! 51. Number 13 on the all-time goal scoring list having broken his tie with Brendan Shanahan. Next up, 10 back of Robitaille .
Ovechkin was almost certainly robbed of an additional 50 goal campaign during the shortened 2012 season. There's a good chance he could have hit that mark in his intended rookie season if the rule changes were in place.

If so he'd be in sole first place for number of 50 goal seasons.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:07 PM

Great weekend for the Flames, I'm getting pretty stoked for some playoff hockey! just need an opponent now...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:10 PM
HVAC guru

Go Calgary, I guess lol

Was downtown Saturday night for some beers, thought the bar would be busy with the Oilers game on, but everywhere we went it was rather dead, and no one was even watching the game on TV. Based on the number of empty seats at the arena I'm guessing most have just given up.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:11 PM
arf

He's my number one goal scorer of all time just based on era. Just a joy to watch him score goals. I'd love to see him tie Bossy and Gretzky next year, but that is asking a lot. I'm hoping to see him get another 75 which would put him around number 5 on the all-time list.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Go Calgary, I guess lol

Was downtown Saturday night for some beers, thought the bar would be busy with the Oilers game on, but everywhere we went it was rather dead, and no one was even watching the game on TV. Based on the number of empty seats at the arena I'm guessing most have just given up.
This is what Oiler fans need to do, hit ownership in the pocket book!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 6:48 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
McDavid with 11332i3o4je242309

Do they want it, is it too late?
No they don't want it, that has been clear almost all season long. And it is way too late, the playoff ship sailed about two months ago realistically.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 7:09 PM
Near Generational

The Oilersnation April Fool's Joke never gets old.... Kevin Lowe named President of Hockey Operations.

"Kevin knows a thing or two about winning"

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:18 PM

Sounds like Adam Fox isn't interested in signing in Carolina now, wonder how they will play this. Always disappointing when a prospect is being a little shit and refusing to sign with the team that drafted him (Flames) and also the team that traded for him (Hurricanes).

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 9:42 PM
arf

I'm tired of the few players that do that kind of crap. You get to play a sport for a living and make a lot of money doing it.

It would be nice if the NHL had the power to say that they aren't playing in the league for the next twelve years. Go ply your trade in Russia or Europe if you don't want to sign for a team drafting you and if people still want you when you're thirty you can make your own choice then.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 1, 2019, 11:34 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm tired of the few players that do that kind of crap. You get to play a sport for a living and make a lot of money doing it.

It would be nice if the NHL had the power to say that they aren't playing in the league for the next twelve years. Go ply your trade in Russia or Europe if you don't want to sign for a team drafting you and if people still want you when you're thirty you can make your own choice then.
What are the odds he actually wants to complete his final year at Harvard and will let his NHL rights lapse?

Besides, I don't think the NHLPA would take kindly to the league just banishing players because they feel the need to.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Go Calgary, I guess lol

I think it's finally sinking in to Oiler fans that the team is not very good. I've never seen a group of fans cheer for a team who's been as lousy as long as they have. One good legitimate season in the last 20 years where they weren't missing the playoffs or were a bubble team.....then again as a Leaf fan I'm one to talk.

I'm amazed when I see a team like Arizona battling for a playoff spot, and I can't even name one player from their team, and the Oilers who have the best player in the league and the first overall pick every year it seems like, long out of a playoff spot.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Great weekend for the Flames, I'm getting pretty stoked for some playoff hockey! just need an opponent now...
Congrats to the Flames, they did better than I expected. Playoffs will be tough for them, but these days, just getting there is almost like winning a first round. Flames look to have a pretty good future too, with some good young players. Will be interesting to see which direction they go next year.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
I think it's finally sinking in to Oiler fans that the team is not very good. I've never seen a group of fans cheer for a team who's been as lousy as long as they have.t.
I think Toronto has matched or exceeded Oiler fans in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
What are the odds he actually wants to complete his final year at Harvard and will let his NHL rights lapse?
It sounds like he really wants to be a Ranger, so if Carolina doesn't put a trade together he is willing to accept, then he can play his senior year and come into the NHL as a UFA. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he goes this route...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
I think Toronto has matched or exceeded Oiler fans in this regard.

It sounds like he really wants to be a Ranger, so if Carolina doesn't put a trade together he is willing to accept, then he can play his senior year and come into the NHL as a UFA. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he goes this route...
He can follow the same career path as Tim Erixon.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineN View Post
Congrats to the Flames, they did better than I expected. Playoffs will be tough for them, but these days, just getting there is almost like winning a first round. Flames look to have a pretty good future too, with some good young players. Will be interesting to see which direction they go next year.
Next year will be different. The rest of the league will be more familiar with the Flames, and every game opposing teams will be prepared for them. They might not have as good a season as people are expecting. Longterm, I agree. They have some good young players. A couple of young players that have stood out that aren't well known are Andrew Mangiapane who's 22 years old, and been very good. Mark Jankowski (24 yrs) is getting better as time goes on.

The Flames defense is what interests me going forward. Made up of some relatively unknown but good young players are Jusso Valimaki (20 yrs) who was injured most of this season, but looked very good when he was playing. Noah Hanifin (22 yrs) and Rasmus Andersson (21 yrs) are solid regulars. Oliver Kylington (21 yrs) is also pretty solid. Definitely no shortage of young players.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 5:15 PM

Just need to shore up the goaltending going forward.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
This connects to a point I made previously on this forum: homegrown/local players are going to become more common for US teams. For Fox, the Rangers are his childhood team, so it makes sense he would want to play there. I imagine people on this forum would be kinder to him if he was snubbing Carolina for Calgary or Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
He can follow the same career path as Tim Erixon.
Haha, that guy turned out to be an idiot, Calgary probably would have been the best thing for him, now he's 100% AHL lol.

Quote:
This connects to a point I made previously on this forum: homegrown/local players are going to become more common for US teams. For Fox, the Rangers are his childhood team, so it makes sense he would want to play there. I imagine people on this forum would be kinder to him if he was snubbing Carolina for Calgary or Winnipeg.
I get the appeal of playing for the hometown team, Calgary will likely lose Gaudreau to the Flyers one day... If Fox were Canadian and held out to play for the hometown team I would have the exact same opinion of him as I do now. He got drafted in the NHL which is amazing, but being a highly touted prospect doesn't guarantee success, start with the team that drafted you and learn the game at this level, nothing says he has to play his whole career there.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 7:22 PM
arf

Quote:

Besides, I don't think the NHLPA would take kindly to the league just banishing players because they feel the need to.
True, but the value of an NHL franchise in many places takes a hit because, well you can't get the talent, even the young talent to play in your market so you are less competitive. In the end having a few strong teams isn't as good a marketing and money making tool as a bunch of competitive markets. Which would increase salaries and is probably something the NHLPA would care about.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2019, 8:35 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I get the appeal of playing for the hometown team, Calgary will likely lose Gaudreau to the Flyers one day... If Fox were Canadian and held out to play for the hometown team I would have the exact same opinion of him as I do now. He got drafted in the NHL which is amazing, but being a highly touted prospect doesn't guarantee success, start with the team that drafted you and learn the game at this level, nothing says he has to play his whole career there.
I think he's learned the game by now, though, having played junior and three years in the NCAA. I don't think he has anything further to prove to any team that wants to sign him. I'm sure he has the right to sign with or without any team he likes.

The whole idea of drafting kids and having rights to them isn't something i'm totally great with in general, but banishing him from the league for not wanting to sign with X team seems a bit harsh.

Quote:
True, but the value of an NHL franchise in many places takes a hit because, well you can't get the talent, even the young talent to play in your market so you are less competitive. In the end having a few strong teams isn't as good a marketing and money making tool as a bunch of competitive markets. Which would increase salaries and is probably something the NHLPA would care about.
To flip my previous point on its head: if a team is having trouble getting free agents to sign then they'll have to be very good at drafting and committing players when they're younger. Winnipeg is never going to be a strong free agent market for a number of reasons but they've gone out and drafted pretty well (and have been able to maintain the guys they had coming from Atlanta). That makes a big difference. In this situation it's not Fox not signing with Carolina because they're bad (quite the opposite), it's that he would prefer to play where 1) he's from, and 2) where he's not deep in the depth chart where it's possible he will get minutes next season (or the year after, etc.).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada