HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 11:55 AM

TSN and the CFL have agreed to a 6 year extension worth reportedly 300 million which they say could increase significantly with ratings etc.

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed that the league could get this kind of deal based on TV ratings are declining (however they say online viewership is increasing rapidly but those figures are hard to compare because online viewership was nothing only 2-3 years ago). I guess TSN was frightened about loosing a nation wide telecast.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:32 PM

Considering what streaming services are paying for rights these days, one could say that TSN got a deal.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:25 PM

CFL agrees to new six-year TV deal with TSN
Dan Barnes, Postmedia September 6, 2019

It appears the Canadian Football League and TSN have been huddling up at the highest levels and will be announcing a new, long-term partnership before the end of this season.

Well-placed sources say the league and the all-sports television network have agreed on a six-year deal that runs through the 2025 season and should be worth about $50 million annually to the CFL, though that number could grow significantly as there will be incentives, ratings-based and otherwise, written into the contract.

A TSN spokesperson said in an email that the company does not comment on rights negotiations, while a CFL spokesperson did not immediately respond to Postmedia’s request for comment on Friday.

The current agreement was scheduled to run through 2021 but there was apparently impetus from both the league and TSN to hammer out a long-term arrangement that functions more as a partnership than a rights deal, so it is believed the final two years were reworked and four more were added.

Revenue certainty is obviously preferable to the alternative, so it makes nothing but sense for the CFL to seek an extension, particularly one that will offer a healthy base amount that each of the nine franchises can rely upon, and also leave top-end room if ratings trend upward, as both the CFL and TSN would hope and expect.

It’s especially important if and when the CFL adds an expansion franchise in Halifax. Principals with the Atlantic Schooners are now hopeful of a 2021 kickoff, most likely in an existing stadium in Moncton, before switching to an as-yet-unbuilt venue in Halifax after a season or two.

The CFL will be charging the Schooners’ owners an expansion fee, of course, and a lucrative, long-term TV deal will surely bolster the value of a 10th franchise.

Under Commissioner Randy Ambrosie, the league continues to shift perception and pursue new revenue streams all over the world, as part of his ambitious CFL 2.0 initiative. The CFL signed a TV deal with a Mexico City company and is due to announce a streaming deal with another Mexican media outlet. In time, there should also be streaming deals in Europe, as global players start to populate CFL rosters.

If the deal with TSN represents a new approach to domestic television rights, and includes previously untapped sources of revenue, it would stand as another example of Ambrosie’s innovative leadership and stated intention to strengthen the league’s bottom line.

An even more interesting aspect of the new deal would be TSN’s motivation to rework the existing terms. They had the CFL locked up for two more years, apparently at a somewhat lower rate, and by all accounts were satisfied with the ratings and what the product was doing for them in terms of driving ad revenue.

So why extend a favourable deal? Well, without hearing it from anyone at TSN who was directly involved in the negotiations, how can this not be about the very real threat that global streaming companies pose to more traditional TV networks?

Think specifically about the landscape in Canada. The CFL is partially aligned with the new Canadian Premier League that has brought another professional soccer loop to Canada, with teams in Hamilton, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Calgary, Halifax, Victoria and York. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers own Valour FC, while the Tiger-Cats’ so-called caretaker Bob Young owns the Hamilton Forge.

The CPL kicked off its debut season last spring by signing a 10-year streaming deal with Mediapro, a Spanish media conglomerate that generated revenues equal to $2.7 billion CDN in 2017.

It has been reported, but not confirmed by anyone with the CPL or Mediapro, that the deal is worth $200 million, so $20 million per year. For a fledgling, domestic soccer start-up, that’s really good money.

Mediapro is a major player on the global soccer scene and wanted a foothold in the North American sports landscape, with an eye on moving into the United States from Canada. So they apparently paid dearly for the rights to all CPL games, as well as all Canadian National Team games, for both men and women. Content will be available on desktop, mobile and Smart TV platforms.

It doesn’t require much imagination to envision Mediapro officials spending some time in Canada and taking a long, hard look at the prospects of a streaming deal with the CFL, a well-established sports property that would demand far more than $20 million per year.

As one source said Friday, there is “incredible upheaval” in the broadcast market these days and TSN would surely have been looking for long-term stability with a major partner like the CFL.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:30 PM

If the league stays at 9 teams this means $5.5 million per club yearly up from the current $4.5 million per club. If Halifax joins then it is $5 million per club. Glad Ambrosie got this deal done I like the incentive based structure to add more potential revenue but confused why the league did not seek out other networks to see what they would potentially pay? and is even more confusing why Rogers bought a piece of the Argos last year with no tv deal now on their end?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
they say online viewership is increasing rapidly but those figures are hard to compare because online viewership was nothing only 2-3 years ago
TSN has seen an increase in CFL viewing across its digital platforms. Streaming video starts for games are up 25 per cent while those by TSN Direct subscribers have increased 52 per cent.

The league continues to drive strong engagement on TSN’s social media platforms. There's been over seven million impressions on the broadcaster's CFL content and more than two million views of league videos on its Instagram account.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 2:35 PM

interesting that CPL is getting $20 million per year with a streaming deal maybe CFL will see a lot more coin with the streaming end with their new TSN deal if they meet their incentives?

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...-deal-with-tsn

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
interesting that CPL is getting $20 million per year with a streaming deal maybe CFL will see a lot more coin with the streaming end with their new TSN deal if they meet their incentives?
Getting slow in your old age, that was already posted above

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:20 PM

I know being 35 the arthritis is already seeping into my bones. Oh well I love the CFL and it's nice to have a good story like this today and the Alouettes slowly rebuilding now if my Bombers can win the Banjo Bowl today I am a happy camper for the weekend.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:27 PM

Quote:
I know being 35 the arthritis is already seeping into my bones.
You're still just a baby. But I have to say that's about when my baby years ended My advice, stay away from computers and don't stop playing sports.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 6:04 PM
Community Guy

Almost go-time for our revenge.

@ianoyeg

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 11:39 PM

Winnipeg absolutely crushes Saskatchewan despite missing a bunch of key starters. It appears the Bombers are contenders while the Riders are pretenders. Fajardo is nothing more than an average to below-average QB.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:47 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Argos, Bombers, & Stamps all win convincingly.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Winnipeg absolutely crushes Saskatchewan despite missing a bunch of key starters. It appears the Bombers are contenders while the Riders are pretenders. Fajardo is nothing more than an average to below-average QB.
I admit I was in a bit of a funk about the Bombers after Labour Day weekend, but I snapped out of that in a hurry yesterday. That first drive was magical, it looked like the Riders were going to force a safety but then the Bombers marched the length of the field for the TD.

If the rest of the team has it together, then the Bombers can win the Grey Cup with Streveler at the helm.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 9:03 PM
Community Guy

Very frustrating.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Funny how one game will define a QB for some arm chair coaches.
For example Streavler is showing upside now, but after Labour Day he was trash according to many. Same with Fajardo, not everyone can be Ricky Ray, or Bo Levi. I'd rather judge over a season than one game.

I wasn't surprised at all that the Bombers had a convincing win, I was just hoping for more from the Riders. Learn, reload and fight the next game

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:19 PM

Hopefully Ambrosie can get Braley to get this sale done ASAP and get the Lions back on track and connected to the local marketplace again like Bob Ackles was able to do before he died.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-commissioner-...ions-1.1364157

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Hopefully Ambrosie can get Braley to get this sale done ASAP and get the Lions back on track and connected to the local marketplace again like Bob Ackles was able to do before he died.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-commissioner-...ions-1.1364157
Funny how Wetenhall and Braley basically waited until their teams hit rock bottom to pull out. What happened to buying low and selling high?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:01 PM

Any ideas what groups would interested in buying the Lions? It's been pretty quiet on names interested.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:30 PM

Former Lions receiver Marco Ianuzi has a group of local investors reportedly interested in buying the club.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Funny how Wetenhall and Braley basically waited until their teams hit rock bottom to pull out. What happened to buying low and selling high?
Braley has been looking to sell the Lions for years. The problem is he has always wanted far more money for them than a sane person would agree to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada