HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Feb 27, 2009, 8:40 PM
Closed account

How do you use a Architects Ruler?

I'm not old at all and I'm stuck on this. Please help!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 2:03 AM
Senior Slacker

Do you mean a "scale" - in which there are labels at each end such as: 1:5, 1:10, 1/2"=1", etc.? Possibly triangular in shape or simply flat, but with fewer scales on them?

Something like this?

If so, what you do is look for the scale which is given on the drawing. If it were 1:75 then you would lay the scale down on the drawing on the part that you wanted to measure. The scale works like a normal ruler except that the spacing of the lines have been adjusted for the particular scale noted. That way, if the drawing measures "2" then the item you are measuring is 2 metres long.

Scales can be metric or imperial. If they are metric, they have nice round scales like 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100, etc. (1:75 is actually a bit of an oddball). If it is imperial, it willl read with "inch:feet" notation, like: 1/2" = 1', or 3/8" = 1'.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 2:14 AM
Senior Slacker

The other use of course is, because they are extremely sturdy, they can be used to hit things with extreme force - a bit like a hammer. You can always tell the engineers who hit things with their scales because the edges have been all beat to rat-shit.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 4:46 AM

That's why we use triangles to draw lines, not scales

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 9:21 AM
I am a typical

My geography teacher used one of those to get our attention, by slamming it on a desk. It shut us up. My grade 6 teacher tried that with a yardstick and it broke.

They're also good at keeping pencils and pends from falling off slanted desks. Just place it horizontally near the bottom and voila! It catches them all.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
Architecture student

I use a scaler all the time. Not always handy, because sometimes you see that you were working on the wrong scale... but mainly it's nice to use.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2009, 12:39 PM
Closed account

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
Do you mean a "scale" - in which there are labels at each end such as: 1:5, 1:10, 1/2"=1", etc.? Possibly triangular in shape or simply flat, but with fewer scales on them?

Something like this?

If so, what you do is look for the scale which is given on the drawing. If it were 1:75 then you would lay the scale down on the drawing on the part that you wanted to measure. The scale works like a normal ruler except that the spacing of the lines have been adjusted for the particular scale noted. That way, if the drawing measures "2" then the item you are measuring is 2 metres long.

Scales can be metric or imperial. If they are metric, they have nice round scales like 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100, etc. (1:75 is actually a bit of an oddball). If it is imperial, it willl read with "inch:feet" notation, like: 1/2" = 1', or 3/8" = 1'.
Th anks

Old Posted Feb 25, 2012, 4:29 AM
Architect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesrule View Post
Th anks
I like to reach behind to scratch that spot you just can't reach...

Of course, batting the erasers or eraser pillows across the room was fun - boy does THAT date me!!!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 11:39 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
The other use of course is, because they are extremely sturdy, they can be used to hit things with extreme force - a bit like a hammer. You can always tell the engineers who hit things with their scales because the edges have been all beat to rat-shit.
That's why I have a solid steel scale. Mine's a bona fide weapon. And the edges are still beat to rat-shit.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Back when I was in college studios and my project was in crunch time I used them as cutting edges for the X-acto blade. 3 hours later that scale was cut to shreds

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering