HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 30, 2022, 6:25 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Greenville, SC: Is it fair to all concerned?

Just some phone photos from a walk around downtown on a 22F morning, followed by a little exploration in a Greenville suburb. You will note that the photos appear in the reverse order of when they were taken. You will further note that I'm too lazy to go back in and reverse the order to make them appear in the order in which they were taken.

Video Link

[

"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 1:45 PM
Red October standing by

nice cold photos. i was supposed to go there for work last month but sadly work cancelled the trip due to the omicron surge.

-

-fflint

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 3:03 PM
Me?!?

Looking great!

And no, no it is not fair.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 9:12 PM

Not much pedestrian activity, but I can see a lot of things have been happening in this place, the new developments are nice. Investment in transit might bring out the full potential of this downtown, and it would not have to rely so much on cars to fill the streets with people, even on a cold morning. The cars and parking lots still dominate the cityscape a bit too much, but the potential is definitely there and the effort is evident. It looks like a nice place, definitely worth to visit one day. I didn't know South Carolina got snow but coming from Ontario, snow won't deter me.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2022, 11:43 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSyd View Post
nice cold photos. i was supposed to go there for work last month but sadly work cancelled the trip due to the omicron surge.

-
That was a shame... Let me know if you're ever coming up this way again though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Looking great!

And no, no it is not fair.
Thanks! Except for an unfortunate warm spell at Christmas, this winter has been nice and cold, and I've been loving it. It's really nice to be able to get out and see the city without sweating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Not much pedestrian activity, but I can see a lot of things have been happening in this place, the new developments are nice. Investment in transit might bring out the full potential of this downtown, and it would not have to rely so much on cars to fill the streets with people, even on a cold morning. The cars and parking lots still dominate the cityscape a bit too much, but the potential is definitely there and the effort is evident. It looks like a nice place, definitely worth to visit one day. I didn't know South Carolina got snow but coming from Ontario, snow won't deter me.
Part of the lack of pedestrian activity comes from the fact that South Carolinians don't function well in the cold. I did photo threads this year in July and November and there was plenty of foot traffic in both sets. Regarding transit, you're right but I doubt real investment in transit would ever happen here. On the other hand though, Greenville is very busy developing high-density nodes in all its former mill villages. A $2 billion (billion with a "b") development was recently announced to turn the old Union Bleachery into a secondary downtown for Greenville. That's the kind of thing that has potential to at least fill the seats on what paltry transit this city has, and if anything ever could get the city to invest in better transit it would be that. In the meantime though, as it develops those nodes, the city is making sure to connect them via the greenway system.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 6, 2022, 5:28 AM
them bones

Again, a city really seeming to do many things the right way. It will always be car dependent, but linking the nodes via bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure is so wonderful. And it’s simply a very comfortable place to hang out in.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:02 AM
Great White Norf

great photos as always, hauntedhead.

Greenville is definitely one of my favourite cities in the South!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:17 AM

Best fits in the "Nice Little City" vibe

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:20 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Again, a city really seeming to do many things the right way. It will always be car dependent, but linking the nodes via bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure is so wonderful. And it’s simply a very comfortable place to hang out in.
Depending on the weather it is indeed a comfortable place to hang out. When the temperature is 22F, it's downright delightful and the climate could be mistaken for being fit for human habitation. July is another matter though.

As for linkage... Yes. Greenville has taken well to the new urbanist model, and is developing mixed-use projects all over town while also renovating all the historic mills and mill villages. We're going to end up with all these little urban villages, old and new, in the sprawl and while not ideal, it's a hell of a lot better than just an endless swamp of sprawl. Currently the suburb of Mauldin, where those photos were taken in a sculpture garden in what passes for their downtown now, is building itself a new mixed-use downtown by the interstate, which will be linked to the Swamp Rabbit Trail greenway system. Meanwhile, an enormous new mixed-use development in the Verdae area is well underway and growing steadily, and two new developments on old mill sites are planned in a formerly bad part of town. One is a tech hub going into an old Pepsi plant, and the other is a multi-billion dollar secondary downtown going on the old Union Bleachery site. The developer at the Union Bleachery site intends to preserve what's still standing of the bleachery itself, which ought to be interesting, plus the fact that the bleachery development is also getting an extension of the greenway that will eventually connect to Paris Mountain State Park. Greenville is booming, and it's interesting to see it all going up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
great photos as always, hauntedhead.

Greenville is definitely one of my favourite cities in the South!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy de la Sucre View Post
Best fits in the "Nice Little City" vibe
Thanks to you also.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:43 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

lovely. it seems some of our ny pigeons wised up and migrated south. along with a lot of the humans these days no doubt lol.

is the log cabin something historic?

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 2:13 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
lovely. it seems some of our ny pigeons wised up and migrated south. along with a lot of the humans these days no doubt lol.

is the log cabin something historic?
It's 200 years old, and once stood in a summer camp in the northern part of the county. It was used as a home from sometime before 1810 until 1941, and the camp was built in 1927. In 2009 to save it from demolition because the camp couldn't afford to maintain it, it was moved from the camp halfway across the county to the grounds of the Mauldin Cultural Center. It houses an ice cream shop.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 6:58 AM

Thank you for the chilly art tour!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos