HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:55 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

QMJHL 2019-2020 Thread

QMJHL 2019-2020 Thread

Time to get the new season underway.

I haven't been paying too much attention to the Cats yet, but I'm worried that they will underperform this year. The loss of Jeremy McKenna to the pros is going to hurt them quite a bit I think. It will really put a monkey wrench into their line combinations, or what they expected their line combinations to be. They have strengthened their goalie situation though, but I think the team this year will be a lot different than last.

Acadie-Bathurst has nowhere to go but up, but I think it will be a long year for them too.

I expect the Sea Dogs to be much improved as their young team matures.

This will be a down year for the Mooseheads. Their main focus will be rebuilding for 2-3 years down the road.

I have no real opinion on the Islanders or the Eagles, although I will say that I'm glad that the Cape Breton team will no longer "scream"............

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 5:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Wildcats polished off defending Memorial Cup champs Rouyn-Noranda 6-2 on the road. Mika Cyr with a hat trick.

Rouyn-Noranda isn't a lame duck post championship team either. They are currently #2 in the league, so this was a good win.

Cats are currently 4-2-0-0. The only game I've seen so far was the home opener. They were pretty sloppy that game, but showed occasional flashes of offensive brilliance and won the game in overtime.

On a hopeful note, Jeremy McKenna was just reassigned from his AHL team to the ECHL, and word is that he might prefer to return to the Wildcats instead. If this pans out, then this should become the year that the Wildcats do their run for the cup. Here's hoping..........

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Wildcats polished off defending Memorial Cup champs Rouyn-Noranda 6-2 on the road. Mika Cyr with a hat trick.

Rouyn-Noranda isn't a lame duck post championship team either. They are currently #2 in the league, so this was a good win.

Cats are currently 4-2-0-0. The only game I've seen so far was the home opener. They were pretty sloppy that game, but showed occasional flashes of offensive brilliance and won the game in overtime.

On a hopeful note, Jeremy McKenna was just reassigned from his AHL team to the ECHL, and word is that he might prefer to return to the Wildcats instead. If this pans out, then this should become the year that the Wildcats do their run for the cup. Here's hoping..........
Any idea when we might know something definitive on the McKenna situation? He'd be a major addition if he comes back.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 5:38 PM

According to Neil Hodge, Jeremy McKenna is in fact coming back to play for the Moncton Wildcats.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 6:32 PM

It should be announced Monday. We may also get news in the same announcement on Axel Andersson (2nd round NHL pick). Cats desperately need help on D so that would be huge. The AHL team in Providence is currently carrying 9 D so something has to give.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
It should be announced Monday. We may also get news in the same announcement on Axel Andersson (2nd round NHL pick). Cats desperately need help on D so that would be huge. The AHL team in Providence is currently carrying 9 D so something has to give.
Adding McKenna & Andersson both would be huge. Being drafted 2 years in a row in the first round of the CHL import draft tells me Andersson must be very good.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 11:16 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just think if we can get Aspirot back from the AHL too. If we could, then this would absolutely be the year that we go for it...........

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:

Just think if we can get Aspirot back from the AHL too. If we could, then this would absolutely be the year that we go for it...........
For what its worth he was scratched from Bellevilles roster for yesterdays game.

Regardless of what happens its pretty much assumed at this point that Irving has signaled the all in flag on this season. When they aquired one of the best goalies in the league in the offseason it was a done deal. Whatever assets they can get back from the pro's means less assets needed to be traded at Christmas. For the sake of the rebuild next year getting Aspirot back would be huge. They need 2 stud dman added to be a bonafide contender.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 5:58 PM

Wildcats have confirmed that Axel Andersson will rejoin the team

https://twitter.com/monctonwildcats/...33162387185667

Old Posted Oct 9, 2019, 6:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Getting better and better.

Now, if only we can get Aspirot beck from Belleville, and we should be on our way to the Memorial Cup!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 11:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Huge win by the Wildcats last evening.

They defeated the #1 team in the CHL (Sherbrooke Phoenix) 4-3 in OT at home in the Avenir Centre.

The Cats played a very strong, disciplined and skilled game, taking only one penalty in the entire game, and going toe to toe with the Phoenix for the duration of the contest. The defence and goaltending were strong, and the big guns (especially Khobanov) stepped forward when necessary for a well earned victory.

If the Cats can maintain this type of game play for the duration of the season, they will absolutely be a major contender for the President's Cup. This team is for real!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 4:10 PM

Attendance difference so far:

CHI +15,6%
CAP +15%
RIM +12,8%
SHE +11,3%
VDO +8,8%
VIC +4,6%
SHA +3,2%
QUÉ +3%
SNB +2,9%
CHA -1,7%
ROU -3,5%
DRU -8,7%
MON -9,1%
BLB -9,1%
BAC -11,1%
GAT -11,5%
BAT -21,3%
HAL -24,5%

Total: + 17 043 (+4,9%)

*Edit: Should be noted

Halifax was away for most of the beginning of the season last year.
Moncton: If you remove the sellout opener last year, the numbers are pretty similar.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:14 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Another win for the Cats tonight against Halifax at the ScotiaBank Centre - 5-4 in OT.

Lavallee was in net, but I don't get the impression he played badly (hard to tell when you're listening on the radio). The team likely wasn't as disciplined as last night against the Phoenix, and some of the second stringers were in the line-up.

Khovanov remains red hot, scoring a late game tying goal, and the overtime winner. He seems to have matured nicely this year.

Cats play again tomorrow night back at home against the Tigres. This should be an easy win for them. Three games in three nights however could mean some tired legs.

The Cats are now tied with Cape Breton for 2nd place in league standings, and are 9-1-0-0 in the last ten games. They may be in the CHL top 10 rankings next time around.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Another win for the Cats tonight against Halifax at the ScotiaBank Centre - 5-4 in OT.

Lavallee was in net, but I don't get the impression he played badly (hard to tell when you're listening on the radio). The team likely wasn't as disciplined as last night against the Phoenix, and some of the second stringers were in the line-up.

Khovanov remains red hot, scoring a late game tying goal, and the overtime winner. He seems to have matured nicely this year.

Cats play again tomorrow night back at home against the Tigres. This should be an easy win for them. Three games in three nights however could mean some tired legs.

The Cats are now tied with Cape Breton for 2nd place in league standings, and are 9-1-0-0 in the last ten games. They may be in the CHL top 10 rankings next time around.
Lavallee played well, mooseheads got some quality chances tonight. It was actually a pretty similar game to last night. Moose still have some star power that can do some damage.

This team is finding ways to win. Torchetti has brought some much needed systems defensively and regardless of win or loss I am always finding myself impressed with the hard work. The talent speaks for itself most nights.

I expect they'll add 1 top 4 D and 1 top 6 forward at Christmas. Need to upgrade on Sean Stewart playing top 4 minutes. Ideally he's a 5th or 6th D on a championship team. A physical guy who can chip in and play 3rd line like Shawn Element would be a nice bonus too.

Looks like it should be a big crowd tomorrow. Likely around 6000

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 1:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Three nights, three games, three big wins for the Wildcats.

The Tigres were tamed last night by a score of 4-2 before about 5,500 fans at the Avenir Centre.

Khovanov remains red hot with three assists in last nights game. Something has changed with Khovanov. He's always been talented, but suddenly, near the beginning of the season, he seemed to have "bought in" to the team system, and he's the better player for it. You can see this especially by the number of assists he is racking up.

It's good to have McKenna back too. A goal and an assist last night, and 13 points in only 8 games since his return to the team. This is a greater rate of point production than he had last year, when he led the team with 97 points.

Currently the Cats sit at #2 in overall league standings, and should be in the CHL top ten in the next ranking. This however will be a very tough year for the Cats, as the Maritime Division is very strong. The #3 & #4 teams in the league are Charlottetown and Cape Breton. They undoubtedly will win their fair share of games when facing us. A competitive division however will be good in preparing us for the playoffs in the end.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2019, 10:50 PM

Finishing first in the league is more important than ever this season with how lopsided the 2 conferences are. At the moment the only clear buyer in the other conference is Sherbrooke. Teams like Drummondville & Rouyn are coming off contending seasons and likely take a step back. Shawnigan & Val'dor are younger teams that are likely a year or 2 away from contending season and won't be serious buyers.

If the Cats finished first and made it to the semi finals they would see a huge benefit by crossing over to face whatever one of those teams make it out of the West if the standings line up that way. Meanwhile the 2nd place team or whoever else makes it out of the east would have to play Sherbrooke.

I'm sure there will be a suprise buyer out of the west given that whoever finishes 2nd will get home ice for 2 rounds and that can be worth a lot ($$$) to a jr franchise. If I had to guess it would be Drummondville who has some firepower up front, decent defense and veteran goaltending. They could wait a year and move some of their 18 year olds at the draft to start the rebuild.

The 45 days or so of hockey should create some more separation to answer some of these questions. Looks like it will be a fun trade period either way.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 2:52 PM

Looks like less than 2000 tickets sold for the Canada Russia series.

I think there is very little appetite for this event at this point. The event is overpriced (10-15$ more than a Wildcats game) and overhyped.

I hope there isn't too many comments that negatively reflect the Moncton market on this one to discourage them from holding future events. While there lots of talent on the ice Russia is essentially sending their B squad of which maybe 2-3 of the guys will even make their team.

There's very little evidence to show any meaning is put into these games from Hockey Canada's point of few.

Far better value buying a 20$ ticket for Moncton vs Sherbrooke on thursday in a game that has meaning. As a die hard jr hockey fan I can't justify the paying the pricepoint here.

I am not really sure why they decided to try and host this only 2 years removed from hosting it at the coliseum. I was hoping they'd aim for the top prospects game which is usually a much better game to watch and allows you to see lots of other potential 1st round picks. Maybe they'll try for it next year with L'Heureux being a top prospect.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 12:03 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
Looks like less than 2000 tickets sold for the Canada Russia series.

I think there is very little appetite for this event at this point. The event is overpriced (10-15$ more than a Wildcats game) and overhyped.

I hope there isn't too many comments that negatively reflect the Moncton market on this one to discourage them from holding future events. While there lots of talent on the ice Russia is essentially sending their B squad of which maybe 2-3 of the guys will even make their team.

There's very little evidence to show any meaning is put into these games from Hockey Canada's point of few.

Far better value buying a 20$ ticket for Moncton vs Sherbrooke on thursday in a game that has meaning. As a die hard jr hockey fan I can't justify the paying the pricepoint here.

I am not really sure why they decided to try and host this only 2 years removed from hosting it at the coliseum. I was hoping they'd aim for the top prospects game which is usually a much better game to watch and allows you to see lots of other potential 1st round picks. Maybe they'll try for it next year with L'Heureux being a top prospect.
I was on the site today and they have tickets starting as low as $20 taxes and fees included. Is it possible they lowered the price to sell more seats?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:03 AM

I see Moncton debuted on the CHL top 10 rankings in the number 6 spot!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:15 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I see Moncton debuted on the CHL top 10 rankings in the number 6 spot!
I think that win over Sherbrooke made quite an impression.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces