HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #781  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 10:11 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN1X706F

Honestly these protesters are losing my support. I don't support firebombing local businesses and transit.



The HK Police have shown remarkable restraint and I commend them for not shooting people who are asking for it. The movies are right, the HK police are the best in the world.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1X71AN

In other news, hopefully the US and China can now sign a trade deal. Given how weak the world economy has gotten I feel like this deal is the only chance for us to avoid a recession.
At some point, I hope they explain what the haitch a "Phase 1" trade agreement is supposed to be. Some sort of face-saving device for a failed negotiation?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #782  
Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 10:24 PM
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 14,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
At some point, I hope they explain what the haitch a "Phase 1" trade agreement is supposed to be. Some sort of face-saving device for a failed negotiation?
Same thing they signed with North Korea?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #783  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 8:49 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,002
A (rare) piece from CBC on challenges for Canada in Latin America.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jus...rica-1.5341927
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #784  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 9:57 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A (rare) piece from CBC on challenges for Canada in Latin America.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jus...rica-1.5341927
Very interesting. Funny that Canada's "strongest" potential ally against Venezula in Brazil is also against indigenous rights and for resource exploitation. In the end no matter what we say someone's going to make money off those resources its not like we can stop Brazil so probably better to not burn the bridge?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #785  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 10:02 PM
technomad's Avatar
technomad technomad is offline
surf the kali yuga
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alberia
Posts: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A (rare) piece from CBC on challenges for Canada in Latin America.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jus...rica-1.5341927
surely this is something that could be quickly resolved by donning some local attire, perhaps doing a jaunty dance?
or is south america a bit too close to home for that to work...

__________________
Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #786  
Old Posted Oct 31, 2019, 11:18 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
surely this is something that could be quickly resolved by donning some local attire, perhaps doing a jaunty dance?
or is south america a bit too close to home for that to work...

No SA leader is black? I couldn't find one ;/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #787  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:31 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,181
From Obama's former National Security Advisor:

Susan Rice's warning to Canada: Don't let Huawei work on your 5G networks
Adrienne Arsenault · CBC News · Posted: Nov 04, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

Don't do it, Canada.

That's the essence of the blunt warning from Susan Rice, the U.S. national security advisor under U.S. president Barack Obama and the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. This is a woman who was involved in the most precarious of security issues involving the United States — and when she talks about this issue, she leans in and is firm.

Rice is clear about how dangerous she considers the risk of allowing Chinese tech giant Huawei to work on 5G networks in Canada.

"It's hard for me to emphasize adequately without getting into classified terrain how serious it is," she said in an interview with The National this past weekend in Washington...


https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/susan-...tion-1.5346263

When is Trudeau going to face the evidence?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #788  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:50 PM
Jaws Jaws is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
From Obama's former National Security Advisor:

Susan Rice's warning to Canada: Don't let Huawei work on your 5G networks
Adrienne Arsenault · CBC News · Posted: Nov 04, 2019 4:00 AM ET | Last Updated: 7 hours ago

Don't do it, Canada.

That's the essence of the blunt warning from Susan Rice, the U.S. national security advisor under U.S. president Barack Obama and the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. This is a woman who was involved in the most precarious of security issues involving the United States — and when she talks about this issue, she leans in and is firm.

Rice is clear about how dangerous she considers the risk of allowing Chinese tech giant Huawei to work on 5G networks in Canada.

"It's hard for me to emphasize adequately without getting into classified terrain how serious it is," she said in an interview with The National this past weekend in Washington...


https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/susan-...tion-1.5346263

When is Trudeau going to face the evidence?
Huawei should be kicked to the curb. I'm surprised that this wasn't an election issue. The PC's missed the boat on this.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #789  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 10:51 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Huawei should be kicked to the curb. I'm surprised that this wasn't an election issue. The PC's missed the boat on this.
Wouldn't have mattered. The media had no intention of covering serious issues unless it made the Conservatives look bad.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #790  
Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 11:00 PM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Huawei should be kicked to the curb. I'm surprised that this wasn't an election issue. The PC's missed the boat on this.
US Companies have been caught spying on behalf of the US government or have forcefully had their data examined by the US government. I don't feel any "more" danger from Huawei than I would from a US company.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #791  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:22 AM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Vancouver's always been pretty racist but its currently simmering to the top with several recent incidents. Having been the subject of a few racial attacks this subject is personal to me. Its funny given the history of BC since 100 years ago there were several attacks against asian immigrants for being too poor and thus dirtying the city and now the attacks are against them for being too rich. Basically Vancouver wants immigrants who are too poor to buy their stuff but wealthy enough that they don't look bad. Honestly underneath its veil of being "left-wing progressive" Vancouver is filled with people who are incredibly racist and judgmental. You elect someone whose pro-immigration but complain that the immigrants have their own money? Does left-wing just mean you blame others for your problems but pretend your a good person?

https://www.straight.com/news/132159...i-chinese-rant

Quote:
Man breaking strata bylaws in Richmond retaliates with anti-Chinese rant caught on video

According to News 1130, an unidentified woman noticed a man washing his vehicle in front of a sign that says no-washing (in both English and Chinese) on the morning of November 2.

He was also blocking several parking spots at a residential strata complex near Cambie Road and No. 4 Road.


As the man was breaking strata bylaws, the woman got out of the car to take a picture of his license plate to report him to the strata.

However, the man then launched into a racist rant against Chinese people. He told her and her friend to go back to China, even though both of them were born in Canada, and said that he hates “fucking Chinese”.

He also sprayed her and her car with his water hose.

Her nine-year-old daughter was waiting in her car.

Several viral videos capturing Lower Mainlanders making racist rants against Asian people have been circulating online in recent months.

Last week, a bystander shot a video of a female customer at Shoppers Drug Mart in Burnaby yelling at staff to speak English, swearing at them, and insulting them for speaking Chinese.

On September 6, Burnaby RCMP arrested 45-year-old Raul Miguel Rubio-Alabau for racially abusing and assaulting an individual, and he was found to be also caught on video making racist and sexist comments on a bus.

In August, Carla Waldman was recorded on video yelling racist insults at an Asian woman in a parking lot in Richmond. After an investigation, Richmond RCMP determined that the incident didn’t meet the requirements for criminal charges.
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/20...ht-market.html

Quote:
House-hunting as an Asian immigrant in Vancouver means navigating racism

If you chat with any Asian person in Vancouver, they’re likely to say they’ve noticed an uptick in racism, of people who voice their assumptions that they are recent migrants with bucketloads of cash and are driving up the real estate prices for “locals” and “real Canadians.”

Earlier this year, a stranger confronted and raged at me that my Porsche had almost struck her. I was dumbfounded. I commute an hour to work on public transit every day. (To be clear, I do not own a Porsche.) Other times, people have simply shouted: “Chink!” at me, as I walked down the street...one white lady made a furious sound that sounded like “Eeuarrrckk!” then hissed under her breath, “Go back to China, bitch.”

And that’s just what I get as a young person. My parents are both boomers and immigrants, and even though they are so law-abiding they wouldn’t jaywalk, let alone engage in seedy real-estate fraud, they represent the most popular scapegoats for soaring real-estate prices in this city.

At best, it’s an unhealthy “us” versus “them” dynamic — at worst, it’s bigotry.

“I would never sell to a ‘housewife’ from China,” someone wrote to me in response to my first house-hunting story. The insinuation was that these people are undeserving of homes in Vancouver.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #792  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:38 AM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 13,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
US Companies have been caught spying on behalf of the US government or have forcefully had their data examined by the US government. I don't feel any "more" danger from Huawei than I would from a US company.
The US is our ally, China is our enemy
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTOSAN FRANCISCO ROCHESTER, NYHAMILTONGODERICH, ON WHEATLEY, ONCOBOURG, ONLAS VEGASLOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #793  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 12:53 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 14,496
Must be hard for misher to type while fondling Xi’s balls. I see you are working overtime to paint your narrative today.

Not going to deny that there are racist people in Vancouver and recent social and political events have stirred the pot a little (and that such behavior is never acceptable), but love your hyperboles. Also who would have thought that in urban areas with millions of residents there would be some racist rants caught on video in an age when everyone has a recording device?

Also regarding tech companies, it’s no secret that there is far far far less separation between companies and the government in China than there is in the US and the west in general. That is a major factor when considering security. Or are you going to deny that too? Also, the US is democracy and an ally, while China is an authoritarian dictatorship and not our ally.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/306346...h/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0...lhxXFxuAey_q6Q
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #794  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:48 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 25,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Not going to deny that there are racist people in Vancouver and recent social and political events have stirred the pot a little (and that such behavior is never acceptable), but love your hyperboles. Also who would have thought that in urban areas with millions of residents there would be some racist rants caught on video in an age when everyone has a recording device?
Misher argues against his own position with the weak examples he posts. If Vancouver really did have an epidemic of serious racist incidents there would be better examples than the lady yelling at the cashier in Shoppers.

The reality is that Vancouver is hugely multicultural, by and large functions very well, and is one of the least racist places on earth. The same is true for Canada as a whole.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #795  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 3:06 AM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
When is Trudeau going to face the evidence?
What evidence? This all sounds very similar to "just trust us, Iraq has loads of WMDs, I'd love to show you the evidence but it's classified, seriously, just trust us". I didn't believe those lies then, and I won't believe obvious lies today.

Until any evidence of actual wrongdoing by Huawei is presented, that is different to how other telecommunications would be exploited, then I refuse to believe bullshit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #796  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:26 AM
misher's Avatar
misher misher is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What evidence? This all sounds very similar to "just trust us, Iraq has loads of WMDs, I'd love to show you the evidence but it's classified, seriously, just trust us". I didn't believe those lies then, and I won't believe obvious lies today.

Until any evidence of actual wrongdoing by Huawei is presented, that is different to how other telecommunications would be exploited, then I refuse to believe bullshit.
Let’s not forget that unlike Canada the US actually supports companies outside Quebec and are quite willing to screw the international competition. I can’t imagine how many donations they receive from telecommunications firms with a vested interest in keeping Huawei out. Huawei is like AMD, they have taken the lead in some key technologies and American companies are scrambling to catch up. If China really wanted to spy on us they’d plant chips in all the American phones and computers made in China, why bother using a Chinese brand when everything American is made there anyway.

This whole anti chinese products thing resembles a certain campaign against Japanese and Mexican products from decades ago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #797  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:29 AM
itom 987's Avatar
itom 987 itom 987 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
The US is our ally, China is our enemy
China is not our enemy, they just do things differently, but we do have to protect the way we do things.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #798  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:31 AM
milomilo milomilo is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Calgary
Posts: 8,672
? There is no domestic competition to Huawei in Canada. The telecoms firms want/need Huawei.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #799  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:59 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
? There is no domestic competition to Huawei in Canada. The telecoms firms want/need Huawei.
There are western firms that will do it without the malevolent intent of Chinese firm. Companies like Telus cling to Huawei because they are cheap as fuck while they screw Canadians over with the worst rates in the world.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #800  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 5:01 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
What evidence? This all sounds very similar to "just trust us, Iraq has loads of WMDs, I'd love to show you the evidence but it's classified, seriously, just trust us". I didn't believe those lies then, and I won't believe obvious lies today.

Until any evidence of actual wrongdoing by Huawei is presented, that is different to how other telecommunications would be exploited, then I refuse to believe bullshit.
Funnily enough, I’m more inclined to trust both Democrats and Republicans with access to the worlds best intelligence gathering than some rando on the internet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:04 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.