HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Yeah umm, have you read ssiguy's posts? He goes off on Chinese PEOPLE constantly. Uses the guise of "China" to make his point sometimes but he slips up all the time. The only reason he cares is he hates to see his precious Vancouver (which he's a relative newcomer, ironically) overrun by yellow folk. The very definition of Xenophobia.
I don’t follow the Vancouver threads, so I am not following the backstory. I just saw you comparing criticism of PRC to criticism of Imperial Japan (the guys that did the Nanjing Massacre, forced Koreans to be sex slaves, and the Bataan death march, among others) and calling it xenophobia.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:59 PM

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3727436

Canadian warship makes rare patrol through Taiwan Strait

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3727436

Canadian warship makes rare patrol through Taiwan Strait
Fascinating timing. The beginning of a "China free" (or "China reduced") future for Canada?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Fascinating timing. The beginning of a "China free" (or "China reduced") future for Canada?
A good start would be a Huawei-free Canada.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
A good start would be a Huawei-free Canada.
I suspect that there's an extradition request that the courts will need to deal with before we see that ...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is time to switch recognition back to the Republic of China.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:22 PM

Quote:
I suspect that there's an extradition request that the courts will need to deal with before we see that ...
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Trump and Trudeau's meeting today regarding that. Unfortunately Trump is so erratic, it is understandable why Canada would not want to make a move until they see what way he will go with a China trade deal.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is time to switch recognition back to the Republic of China.
An enhanced relationship with Taiwan wouldn't require it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:50 PM

While the stylish Ms. Meng swans around, perhaps looking for the best dumplings in Richmond, or a new Chanel handbag, word comes that the Chinese have confiscated Michael Kovrig's reading glasses. For what reason I can't imagine but it speaks to the barbarity of the regime.

Lock Her Up!

Chinese authorities have confiscated the reading glasses of imprisoned Canadian Michael Kovrig as Beijing increases political and economic pressure on Canada to allow a detained senior Huawei Technologies executive to return home, sources say.

The confiscation is the latest move by Chinese authorities against Mr. Kovrig and fellow Canadian, Michael Spavor, who are now in their seventh month of detention. The two men were moved in early June from solitary confinement to a detention centre, which is more akin to a jail, after being formally charged with stealing state secrets. But they are still kept in rooms where the lights are on 24 hours a day and they continue to face interrogations, according to two sources to whom The Globe and Mail granted anonymity so they could speak frankly about the difficulties facing the Canadians...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...re-of-michael/

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
While the stylish Ms. Meng swans around, perhaps looking for the best dumplings in Richmond, or a new Chanel handbag, word comes that the Chinese have confiscated Michael Kovrig's reading glasses. For what reason I can't imagine but it speaks to the barbarity of the regime.

Lock Her Up!

Chinese authorities have confiscated the reading glasses of imprisoned Canadian Michael Kovrig as Beijing increases political and economic pressure on Canada to allow a detained senior Huawei Technologies executive to return home, sources say.

The confiscation is the latest move by Chinese authorities against Mr. Kovrig and fellow Canadian, Michael Spavor, who are now in their seventh month of detention. The two men were moved in early June from solitary confinement to a detention centre, which is more akin to a jail, after being formally charged with stealing state secrets. But they are still kept in rooms where the lights are on 24 hours a day and they continue to face interrogations, according to two sources to whom The Globe and Mail granted anonymity so they could speak frankly about the difficulties facing the Canadians...

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...re-of-michael/
About the only action Canada could take that might be noticed would be to suspend intake of new visa and citizenship applications for all Chinese citizens. China would likely respond in kind so Canada would need to communicate the intention to notify Canadians either in or planning to go to China.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
About the only action Canada could take that might be noticed would be to suspend intake of new visa and citizenship applications for all Chinese citizens. China would likely respond in kind so Canada would need to communicate the intention to notify Canadians either in or planning to go to China.
It's safe to say the United Front has its tentacles too deep into both leading parties for that ever to happen.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Unconstitutional, if I understand what you mean.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Unconstitutional, if I understand what you mean.
Take the Government of China approach and bury those applications pending security or safety concerns

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:31 PM

I don’t think going after citizenship hurts the regime. Easy low hanging fruit:

Closer ties to Taiwan
Stop letting Chinese athletes train here
Search everything for Fentanyl (every traveller from China, every container, etc).
Way more vigorous inspection of food, products, etc.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Closer ties to Taiwan
Search everything for Fentanyl (every traveller from China, every container, etc).
If you watch any of the border agency shows whether in Canada, UK, Australia, etc., there are always Chinese people trying to smuggle in various prohibited foods. I always love how they play dumb and try to lie to the border officers.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:

Closer ties to Taiwan
Why not do all that and the low hanging fruit. Sorry not sorry.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:54 AM

You know things are bad when the UK's dysfunctional Tory government acts more decisively than Trudeau and Freeland, who continue to flail about lobbing nerf balls:

China’s ambassador to London has been summoned to the Foreign Office accused of making unacceptable criticisms of the UK after a rare press conference in which he claimed that the British foreign secretary was backing law-breakers in Hong Kong.

Relations between the UK and China cooled sharply after Jeremy Hunt called on Beijing not to use the protests in Hong Kong as a “pretext for repression”.

On Wednesday, Liu Xiaoming said Hunt’s remarks represented gross and unacceptable interference, a claim that was dismissed by the Foreign Office as unacceptable and inaccurate.

In a bid to underline British displeasure at the ambassador’s remarks, the permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, Sir Simon McDonald, summoned the ambassador for a dressing down....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-kong-protests

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 1:50 PM

At what point does Canada stop just passively accepting whatever China dishes out? It would be nice to see at least some signs of assertiveness. Now that the PRC is increasingly adopting the same stance internationally that it does for domestic affairs, I think Canada might have to adjust its approach as well...

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Careful now, we need to live in constant fear of making sure that we do not "attack" the Chinese and their glorious governing body. We don't want to upset our local SSP PC Social Justice Crusader. He's like a shark in the water that can smell blood hundreds of kms away. He's a stealthy one; ambushing you and your opinions from seemingly nowhere as this is all he ever really comments on. It's his whole purpose in life

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At what point does Canada stop just passively accepting whatever China dishes out? It would be nice to see at least some signs of assertiveness. Now that the PRC is increasingly adopting the same stance internationally that it does for domestic affairs, I think Canada might have to adjust its approach as well...
I don’t think Little Potato can do it. He has a long-lasting fascination with totalitarian dictators, and particularly the CP. I think I already posted the country he admires the most clip.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada