HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #661  
Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 10:57 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Yeah umm, have you read ssiguy's posts? He goes off on Chinese PEOPLE constantly. Uses the guise of "China" to make his point sometimes but he slips up all the time. The only reason he cares is he hates to see his precious Vancouver (which he's a relative newcomer, ironically) overrun by yellow folk. The very definition of Xenophobia.
I don’t follow the Vancouver threads, so I am not following the backstory. I just saw you comparing criticism of PRC to criticism of Imperial Japan (the guys that did the Nanjing Massacre, forced Koreans to be sex slaves, and the Bataan death march, among others) and calling it xenophobia.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #662  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 3:59 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3727436

Canadian warship makes rare patrol through Taiwan Strait
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #663  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:30 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3727436

Canadian warship makes rare patrol through Taiwan Strait
Fascinating timing. The beginning of a "China free" (or "China reduced") future for Canada?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #664  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:49 PM
Jaws Jaws is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Fascinating timing. The beginning of a "China free" (or "China reduced") future for Canada?
A good start would be a Huawei-free Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #665  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 4:52 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
A good start would be a Huawei-free Canada.
I suspect that there's an extradition request that the courts will need to deal with before we see that ...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #666  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:20 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Fascinating timing. The beginning of a "China free" (or "China reduced") future for Canada?
Maybe it is time to switch recognition back to the Republic of China.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #667  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 5:22 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I suspect that there's an extradition request that the courts will need to deal with before we see that ...
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Trump and Trudeau's meeting today regarding that. Unfortunately Trump is so erratic, it is understandable why Canada would not want to make a move until they see what way he will go with a China trade deal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #668  
Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:23 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Maybe it is time to switch recognition back to the Republic of China.
An enhanced relationship with Taiwan wouldn't require it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #669  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:50 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,216
While the stylish Ms. Meng swans around, perhaps looking for the best dumplings in Richmond, or a new Chanel handbag, word comes that the Chinese have confiscated Michael Kovrig's reading glasses. For what reason I can't imagine but it speaks to the barbarity of the regime.

Lock Her Up!

Chinese authorities have confiscated the reading glasses of imprisoned Canadian Michael Kovrig as Beijing increases political and economic pressure on Canada to allow a detained senior Huawei Technologies executive to return home, sources say.

The confiscation is the latest move by Chinese authorities against Mr. Kovrig and fellow Canadian, Michael Spavor, who are now in their seventh month of detention. The two men were moved in early June from solitary confinement to a detention centre, which is more akin to a jail, after being formally charged with stealing state secrets. But they are still kept in rooms where the lights are on 24 hours a day and they continue to face interrogations, according to two sources to whom The Globe and Mail granted anonymity so they could speak frankly about the difficulties facing the Canadians...


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...re-of-michael/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #670  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:54 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
While the stylish Ms. Meng swans around, perhaps looking for the best dumplings in Richmond, or a new Chanel handbag, word comes that the Chinese have confiscated Michael Kovrig's reading glasses. For what reason I can't imagine but it speaks to the barbarity of the regime.

Lock Her Up!

Chinese authorities have confiscated the reading glasses of imprisoned Canadian Michael Kovrig as Beijing increases political and economic pressure on Canada to allow a detained senior Huawei Technologies executive to return home, sources say.

The confiscation is the latest move by Chinese authorities against Mr. Kovrig and fellow Canadian, Michael Spavor, who are now in their seventh month of detention. The two men were moved in early June from solitary confinement to a detention centre, which is more akin to a jail, after being formally charged with stealing state secrets. But they are still kept in rooms where the lights are on 24 hours a day and they continue to face interrogations, according to two sources to whom The Globe and Mail granted anonymity so they could speak frankly about the difficulties facing the Canadians...


https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...re-of-michael/
About the only action Canada could take that might be noticed would be to suspend intake of new visa and citizenship applications for all Chinese citizens. China would likely respond in kind so Canada would need to communicate the intention to notify Canadians either in or planning to go to China.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #671  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 5:08 PM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
About the only action Canada could take that might be noticed would be to suspend intake of new visa and citizenship applications for all Chinese citizens. China would likely respond in kind so Canada would need to communicate the intention to notify Canadians either in or planning to go to China.
It's safe to say the United Front has its tentacles too deep into both leading parties for that ever to happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #672  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:03 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 20,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
About the only action Canada could take that might be noticed would be to suspend intake of new visa and citizenship applications for all Chinese citizens. China would likely respond in kind so Canada would need to communicate the intention to notify Canadians either in or planning to go to China.
Unconstitutional, if I understand what you mean.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #673  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:16 PM
Doug's Avatar
Doug Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 9,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Unconstitutional, if I understand what you mean.
Take the Government of China approach and bury those applications pending security or safety concerns
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #674  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 9:31 PM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
I don’t think going after citizenship hurts the regime. Easy low hanging fruit:

Closer ties to Taiwan
Stop letting Chinese athletes train here
Search everything for Fentanyl (every traveller from China, every container, etc).
Way more vigorous inspection of food, products, etc.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #675  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 11:30 PM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 4,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I don’t think going after citizenship hurts the regime. Easy low hanging fruit:

Closer ties to Taiwan
Stop letting Chinese athletes train here
Search everything for Fentanyl (every traveller from China, every container, etc).
Way more vigorous inspection of food, products, etc.
If you watch any of the border agency shows whether in Canada, UK, Australia, etc., there are always Chinese people trying to smuggle in various prohibited foods. I always love how they play dumb and try to lie to the border officers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #676  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:05 AM
NotToScale NotToScale is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I don’t think going after citizenship hurts the regime. Easy low hanging fruit:

Closer ties to Taiwan
Stop letting Chinese athletes train here
Search everything for Fentanyl (every traveller from China, every container, etc).
Way more vigorous inspection of food, products, etc.
Why not do all that and the low hanging fruit. Sorry not sorry.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #677  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 12:54 AM
whatnext whatnext is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,216
You know things are bad when the UK's dysfunctional Tory government acts more decisively than Trudeau and Freeland, who continue to flail about lobbing nerf balls:

China’s ambassador to London has been summoned to the Foreign Office accused of making unacceptable criticisms of the UK after a rare press conference in which he claimed that the British foreign secretary was backing law-breakers in Hong Kong.

Relations between the UK and China cooled sharply after Jeremy Hunt called on Beijing not to use the protests in Hong Kong as a “pretext for repression”.

On Wednesday, Liu Xiaoming said Hunt’s remarks represented gross and unacceptable interference, a claim that was dismissed by the Foreign Office as unacceptable and inaccurate.

In a bid to underline British displeasure at the ambassador’s remarks, the permanent under-secretary at the Foreign Office, Sir Simon McDonald, summoned the ambassador for a dressing down....


https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-kong-protests
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #678  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 1:50 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 27,957
At what point does Canada stop just passively accepting whatever China dishes out? It would be nice to see at least some signs of assertiveness. Now that the PRC is increasingly adopting the same stance internationally that it does for domestic affairs, I think Canada might have to adjust its approach as well...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #679  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 7:12 AM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Careful now, we need to live in constant fear of making sure that we do not "attack" the Chinese and their glorious governing body. We don't want to upset our local SSP PC Social Justice Crusader. He's like a shark in the water that can smell blood hundreds of kms away. He's a stealthy one; ambushing you and your opinions from seemingly nowhere as this is all he ever really comments on. It's his whole purpose in life
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #680  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 11:46 AM
acottawa acottawa is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
At what point does Canada stop just passively accepting whatever China dishes out? It would be nice to see at least some signs of assertiveness. Now that the PRC is increasingly adopting the same stance internationally that it does for domestic affairs, I think Canada might have to adjust its approach as well...
I don’t think Little Potato can do it. He has a long-lasting fascination with totalitarian dictators, and particularly the CP. I think I already posted the country he admires the most clip.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:55 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.