Good Shepherd Cathedral

CHIJmes - its no longer used as a church convent as it once was

St Andrews

Chinese-style Methodist church

I'll post more as I take them

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 9:57 AM
Making hell of a noise...

Hello my dear Singaporean friend!

I have taken noticed of all your pictures lately, and they're great! I liked you how bring out the good ol' charm of St. Andrew's, especially those shots in Shenton Way.

However, I find your pictures very much overly sharpened and its contrast exaggerated. Well I am not an avid photoshopic image editor myself, but my style of photography is just I like what the camera sees and what it is actually seen in the human eyes in reality.

But anyway, with those comments aside, your pictures are always doing great. My school term is about to end in August, so I might be out taking photos in Serangoon or elsewhere.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:09 PM
founded 1819

Hi there

Thanks for your honest assessment of my pics.

I've been on a roll, ever since I got my Nikon D50 slightly over a year ago, and I just cant get enough of snapping pics.
I note that you find the sharpening too strong, sometimes I think it might be overboard too. Well recently I've sharpened the pics twice when I process them, along with raising the contrast & saturation. I thought it'd enhance the imagery.

But I note the comments on the sharpening...perhaps they are too jarring.

Serangoon is a very lovely & colourful area to take pics
Are you Singaporean?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:57 PM

Sheesh!! You dare ask me if I'm Singaporean?!! I feel insulted! No la bro, just kiddin la.

Yes, I am. I am 19 and I hail from Serangoon, I've been here in SSP since 2003. I'm sure you might be aware of F16_freak, and Cliff Tan. I'm currently studying in SP. But I am usually a lurker around here.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2007, 1:59 PM

Actually, I'm living in Serangoon Ave 3. (Near Serangoon Central bus interchange)

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 2:03 PM
founded 1819

Oh you must forgive me. Nowadays, there are many forumers living in Singapore that arent necessarily Singaporean. From the way you spelt your location I thought you were from overseas

I do post here, though not as often as on SSC, where there is a dedicated Singapore section, but still, this place rawks!

Old Posted Aug 14, 2007, 3:11 PM
arf

Nice stuff RafflesCity, now why haven't you sent an entry in for this round of the Photo Contest?

I didn't really like the sharpening in number 4, but I liked it in the last one of St. Andrews. I find it really subjective and it all depends on what you want to say with any given image. I'm not a big fan of sharpening overall, but I do find a bit of adjustment with shadows/highlights/fill light and contrast can remove some atmospheric haze in some photos. Of course, I've pushed the fiddling too far in my last couple of photo threads.

I can't wait to see some more.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 6:58 AM
founded 1819

Thank you! Well here are more pics of St Andrews. I'm not sure how the photo contest works but I could take part

Old Posted Sep 1, 2007, 1:52 PM
arf

Wow, Singapore might be the best city to do the religious/secular contrast stuff.

To enter a contest just send me a private message prior to the deadline with the URL of the photo typed in it like:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...03/sacnite.jpg

You can put it inside IMG tags if you want too and include a title if you have a caption to put with the entry. Make the title of the message something like Contest #nn Entry so it's easy for me to figure out what's going on.

Church is over now, but Speed is open for entries.

In case you don't know the private message thing, just click on a users name beside the avatar. It'll give you a menu (you have to wait for the whole page to load since its javascripted) and the second option takes you to the PM page.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography