HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 1:31 AM

Las Vegas

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I think Hong Kong from across the harbor is pretty untouchable right now.
Sure is.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:47 PM

holy s*** nice shots of HK, it looks awsome at night!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 6:00 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Hong Kong takes the cake (and eats it, too!)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 9:57 PM
Information Age

Hong Kong is stunning at night.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:22 PM
Endless Moments...

True, but you cant leave out Seattle, it is just to amazing...

By zAdventure - on Flickr

By StephenandMelanie - On Flickr

By kevin mcneal - On Flickr

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 10:44 PM

Did someone put Vaseline on the lenses capturing these night shots?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 4:57 AM
Crisp and Squishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Hehe. It's threads like these that show me how North American centric this forum is. Does anybody even look outside their local subforum anymore?
What are you some sort of Commie-sympathizer? You really hate freedom don't you! If you hate 'Murica so much, then go back to Leningrad, pinko!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:22 AM
Dérive-r

I'm surprised to see Vancouver in somebody's top ten list near the beginning of the thread. I think the skyline looks great at night, but in terms of special night lighting effects it seems to be lacking. It has had some nice additions this decade though and has a few more coming up soon such as what will be the glowing tiles of the Shangri-La (our new tallest u/c).

I thought I'd post a few pics of some of the individual night lighting components of our skyline since there is no angle from which all can be seen in one shot...

One Wall Centre and the Electra...

by CharlieBrown @ flickr.com

Canada Place, the Pan Pacific Hotel, and the Harbour Centre...

by proggie @ flickr.com

Plaza of Nations and Science World...

by Eric Flexyourhead @ flickr.com

Shaw Tower...

by lycheemonkey @ flickr.com

The Melville...

emporis.com

Vancouver Block...

by Mussels @ flickr.com

City Hall...

by Jakelnvan @ flickr.com

Marine Building...

by Nomad Kris @ flickr.com

Hotel Vancouver...

by keepitsurreal @ flickr.com

I guess those are the most prominent contributions to Vancouver's night lighting anyways. Plenty of room for improvement.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 5:38 AM

Only top 3 are in order; can't decide how to rank the rest:

1. Hong Kong
2. New York
3. Chicago

4. Vegas
5. Vancouver
6. Miami
7. Rio
8. Paris
9. Pittsburgh
10. Toronto

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 7:02 AM

Hong Kong and New York are very close. I would argue that Hong Kong looks more impressive in some photos partly because, due to its geography, someone with a tripod can stand on the southern tip of Kowloon and get an evenly distributed panographic image, like the amazing one above.

It's not possible to do this in New York: the midtown and downtown skyclusters are too far away from each other and Manhattan doesn't curve like Hong Kong.

So even the mindblowing pics, like the ones by RFC graphics below, don't do NYC justice because they don't fully capture the skyline. It is my number one now. When the new WTC is finished, nothing can touch it.

Midtown:

http://www.pbase.com/rfcd100/root

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 8:26 AM
Edan

that last one of new yeork is amazing, especcially with the two light hitting the clouds. Its stunning I think.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 8:47 AM
low life in a tall place

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
Hong Kong and New York are very close. I would argue that Hong Kong looks more impressive in some photos partly because, due to its geography, someone with a tripod can stand on the southern tip of Kowloon and get an evenly distributed panographic image, like the amazing one above.

It's not possible to do this in New York: the midtown and downtown skyclusters are too far away from each other and Manhattan doesn't curve like Hong Kong.

So even the mindblowing pics, like the ones by RFC graphics below, don't do NYC justice because they don't fully capture the skyline. It is my number one now. When the new WTC is finished, nothing can touch it.
Most skylines look attractive because of many different circumstances such as the setting and how the buildings are organized. New York partly suffers from this because it simply has too many skyscrapers spread over a fairly large area - the main clusters are too far away from each other.

It is not a city's buildings alone that makes a skyline - far from it. Imagine downtown Vancouver (a rather bland building collection with a homogeneous height) in the middle of flat plains, it wouldn't look nearly as spectacular as it does in reality, with the mountain backdrop and the surrounding waters.

Sure, New York doesn't have the picture perfect mountain backdrop as Hong Kong - but its surroundings (the waters, the fact that it is located on an island, the bridges etc.) still add to the skyline rather than the opposite. The main clusters being far away from each other hurts it, but not nearly as much as for example Shanghai's skyline. It is simply way to large and spread out to be done any justice whatsoever in photos. That's why you only see pics of Lujiazui alone (the small area where Jin Mao and SWFC is located - makes up perhaps 2% of the total skyline), or chaotic pics showing a wall of buildings in every direction.
There is not a single good location for capturing all of Shanghai's skyline - it is simply way too big.

A lot of large Asian cities suffer from this because of the mass urbanity that stretches like an ocean for miles and miles. Imagine the skyscrapers of Shanghai, Shenzhen, Tokyo, Bangkok or Manilla being neatly lined up along the water á la Chicago, with a mountainous backdrop Vancouver-style.
If skyline pics of New York doesn't do it justice - think about these cities!

Examples of the capture-impossible skyline of Shanghai;

You always find yourself in the middle of the chaos with a wall of buildings blocking the view in every single direction, wherever you are;

Photo by fangbiansile / Bob Loblaw

If you get higher up, such as the observation deck in the supertalls, it is possible to get a more comprehensible view of the building ocean - but now it's rather an areal shot than a skyline shot. Plus of course the fact that the show below still doesn't show even 1/4th of the whole skyline:

A final overview photo, also taken from from a supertall (Shimao Plaza) illustrating just how incomprehensible this skyline is.

Photo by Charlie Xia / spiky247 @ Flickr

Last edited by staff; Jan 8, 2008 at 9:09 AM.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^absolutely mind-blowing photo! Thanks!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 2:34 PM
Global Citizen

Hong Kong, Shanghai, Tokyo

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 6:12 PM

there is nothing that special about either new yorks or chicagos skylines at night, the colours are too homogeneous for my liking, chicago fountain looks good (when working )

Hong Kong is just stunning and how anybody can say Hong Kong and New York are very close is beyond me, in the states the best night skylines are Seattle, vegas and dallas

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 7:30 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Did someone put Vaseline on the lenses capturing these night shots?
Who needs vaseline when you have photoshop. Funny how no one here has ever been to Minneapolis at night.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 9:04 PM
BANNED

From SpyGuy at SSC.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 9:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc4life View Post
there is nothing that special about either new yorks or chicagos skylines at night, the colours are too homogeneous for my liking, chicago fountain looks good (when working )

Hong Kong is just stunning and how anybody can say Hong Kong and New York are very close is beyond me, in the states the best night skylines are Seattle, vegas and dallas

Hey, nothing special about NY or Chi's skyline? Two of the top three skylines in the world?

Still a little raw from the takeover huh? Good luck in the league this year, you should have a nice healthy 5th spot.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2008, 9:13 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Don't forget, Madison WI is clearly the top night skyline in the US. It also has lights!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture