HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
wow. Absolutely stunning!!!! I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE IT FINISHED AND LIT!

PS. It was always a rumor when I worked at violet crown, but I so wish the AMLI garage allowed for a drive in theatre to operate on the rooftop....especially now.
I agree. This is beyond my expectations so far, and another example of how to disguise a parking podium. I really like all the small pieces of glass and the different colored horizontal lines. This just oozes quality. And now we can clearly see the angles of the upper floors. The sail will be the defining feature, but it almost doesn't need to happen for this to still be a stunning building.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I agree. This is beyond my expectations so far, and another example of how to disguise a parking podium. I really like all the small pieces of glass and the different colored horizontal lines. This just oozes quality. And now we can clearly see the angles of the upper floors. The sail will be the defining feature, but it almost doesn't need to happen for this to still be a stunning building.
Yeees. This is frost level iconic for Austin. Bring on that curve! We're lucky to have something of this height and design right off the water

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:56 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

This is completely off topic, but why is a little less than half of Northshore's top parking level open??? They have what looks to be a nice little pool area but why not cover over the entire garage and have a larger pool along with green space. Just seems odd to me that they didn't utilize that wasted space and left the parking level exposed.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:03 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
This is completely off topic, but why is a little less than half of Northshore's top parking level open??? They have what looks to be a nice little pool area but why not cover over the entire garage and have a larger pool along with green space. Just seems odd to me that they didn't utilize that wasted space and left the parking level exposed.
Yeah, I've never understood that about the stacked box building either. They made this little tiny gimmicky pool overhanging the driveway when they had all this unused space over the garage. They could have put in a pool people could actually swim in. Hell, the could have put a tennis court there. Something.

https://i.imgur.com/aOtsqHy.jpg

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Yeah, I've never understood that about the stacked box building either. They made this little tiny gimmicky pool overhanging the driveway when they had all this unused space over the garage. They could have put in a pool people could actually swim in. Hell, the could have put a tennis court there. Something.
LOL. "Gimmicky pool". That's about right.

I will never understand that roof top situation for Northshore (or Ind). I will say, Northshore's pool looks realllly nice.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 2:38 PM

NorthShore's pool deck is not little! It is resort quality in a rental apartment (with some affordable) - not condo. Nicest pool deck I've seen in Austin (70 Rainey is a close second with its hanging garden feel).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Yeah, I've never understood that about the stacked box building either. They made this little tiny gimmicky pool overhanging the driveway when they had all this unused space over the garage. They could have put in a pool people could actually swim in. Hell, they could have put a tennis court there. Something.

Your point still stands, but I believe all that empty space shown on the render is in reality the top level of the parking garage with some solar-panel-covered shade structures. Not the best use but at least it's some use.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Here are some Google Tower pictures. More here: https://imgur.com/a/DEiHfN9

Fantastic photos! These two are really starting to clarify the confusing geometry of south/east face from the renders.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2020, 6:24 PM

Nice! The angles broke my brain

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
PS. It was always a rumor when I worked at violet crown, but I so wish the AMLI garage allowed for a drive in theatre to operate on the rooftop....especially now.
Maybe you were hearing/thinking about the Blue Starlite drive-in? They're currently running shows on two separate screens almost every night on top of the state garage, just across from the AMLI.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claustrum View Post
Maybe you were hearing/thinking about the Blue Starlite drive-in? They're currently running shows on two separate screens almost every night on top of the state garage, just across from the AMLI.
Yeah, back then they were trying to collab with us for a rooftop thing at AMLI....and the garage management wasn't having it. Big mistake!

Omg. Drove by yesterday and that curve off Cesar Chavez is EXTREME! Couldn't snap a pic, but it's stunning.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 6:33 PM

Does anyone remember the pyramid skyscraper that was proposed like 10-12 years ago? Wasn't this the building that was supposed to be it but changed design over time? Or maybe it was just a conceptual design at that time but was still interesting.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 8:38 PM

I think you’re talking about this badboy.

https://austin.towers.net/rememberin...-unbuilt-icon/

This would have been an icon.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2021, 1:49 AM

So beautiful , Austin is becoming a better city as the months go on.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 1:42 AM

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:25 AM

I don't think there's quite enough glass for me to form a solid opinion on it, but I don't really like it that much. It doesn't seem very reflective, and while I know there's some limits on reflectivity on lakefront properties, I think a building with this many curves deserves some good reflections.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:37 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echostatic View Post
I don't think there's quite enough glass for me to form a solid opinion on it, but I don't really like it that much. It doesn't seem very reflective, and while I know there's some limits on reflectivity on lakefront properties, I think a building with this many curves deserves some good reflections.
Do we know if they're using the same glass for the curved portion and the step portions? It always seemed to me like they wanted the curved portion to really stand out, of course. I wonder if it will create a different visual effect.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:01 PM

Drove past this on Cesar Chavez yesterday and it's hard to overstate how huge this thing feels. Very bulky, not very sail like -- but obv we're nowhere near done so I'm not making any firm pronouncements.

The glass facade on the lake-facing portion is interesting -- not just individual panes, but also small overhead shelves/shades over each one. Lots of texture. It really pushes against the idea that the facade is a single sheet of glass. That doesn't describe what we might see on the "billowing" west-facing side of the sail -- that may still be a more uniform surface. But worth noting that other sides aren't going that route.

Even though the height isn't anything special, the size and shape of this is really going to dominate the first tier of our skyline.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 1:13 AM

1/7

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
1/7

Great shot of the curve from that angle. Thanks for the pic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin