HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 5:29 PM

Labatt Ice I used to drink for a while. It was my go-to beer just at strip clubs. Of course, you have to buy a drink at some over the top price so you'd nurse it while ogling the ladies. Maybe because it's a little bit stronger I found it easier to sip on and not gulp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
If anyone touches my

I will lose my shit.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 11:28 PM

Temporary "Canadian" stadium in Buffalo:

Sahlen Field
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Toronto-Buffalo Blue Jays
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Speaking of Labtts in Buffalo:

Six-Pack at Riverworks
by bpawlik, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 12:10 AM

Maybe I missed this but BMO will be expanding to 45,000 for the 2026 World Cup

https://twitter.com/onesoccer/status...26017386012672

They have explored both permanent and temporary expansion plans.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 1:54 PM

There is still some glimmer of hope for those wishing a downtown arena in Lebreton Flats:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-sets-the-tone

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 3:47 PM

I'm confident that there will eventually be an arena in LeBreton Flats. It's such a no-brainer option. I know Melnyk has been difficult through this whole ordeal and is "planning" a new arena in Kanata, but I think that the Sens will eventually land here. This location is going to make way more sense post-COVID when revenue recovery is going to be the prime objective of NHL franchises over the next few years.

This location will definitely end up being the last parcel of LeBreton to be developed, but I remain optimistic that the Sens will eventually come to their senses and build an arena here.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
I'm confident that there will eventually be an arena in LeBreton Flats. It's such a no-brainer option. I know Melnyk has been difficult through this whole ordeal and is "planning" a new arena in Kanata, but I think that the Sens will eventually land here. This location is going to make way more sense post-COVID when revenue recovery is going to be the prime objective of NHL franchises over the next few years.

This location will definitely end up being the last parcel of LeBreton to be developed, but I remain optimistic that the Sens will eventually come to their senses and build an arena here.
The City and OSEG will be looking into replacing the 10,000 seat Civic Centre at Lansdowne in order to build a new north side stand for TD Place Stadium, along with a residential/hotel component. I'm hoping that instead of building a new, smaller arena at Lansdowne, they'll instead opt to build an NHL sized rink at LeBreton, which would compete directly with the CTC and hold all the advantages, forcing Melnyk to move downtown or sell. Since the NHL's policy is to keep teams in their current city whenever possible, they will push for a move to a new LeBreton arena over a new city.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 7:14 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Interesting. Building the new NHL arena at LeBreton Flats seems to make so much sense.
How soon are they looking to replace the north grandstand (& Civic Centre) at Lansdowne ?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
^Interesting. Building the new NHL arena at LeBreton Flats seems to make so much sense.
How soon are they looking to replace the north grandstand (& Civic Centre) at Lansdowne ?
Discussions seem very preliminary at this point, so no specific timeline. The Civic Centre and north side stands are considered "functionally out of date" but not structurally unsound, so it's not a pressing issue at this time. My guess would be 5 to 10 years.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
The City and OSEG will be looking into replacing the 10,000 seat Civic Centre at Lansdowne in order to build a new north side stand for TD Place Stadium, along with a residential/hotel component. I'm hoping that instead of building a new, smaller arena at Lansdowne, they'll instead opt to build an NHL sized rink at LeBreton, which would compete directly with the CTC and hold all the advantages, forcing Melnyk to move downtown or sell. Since the NHL's policy is to keep teams in their current city whenever possible, they will push for a move to a new LeBreton arena over a new city.
I didn't know about this, but I think this just improves the chances of the Sens eventually moving to LeBreton. In an ideal world, the City, OSEG, and the Sens would partner together to build a singular state-of-the-art arena at LeBreton to accomodate the Sens and the 67s (as well as attract other tenants like the NLL potentially). This would ideally work out for everyone because the Sens and 67s would both get new a new shared stadium with some contribution from the public purse. I do agree that a plan for a large LeBreton arena between OSEG and the City would likely be what forces the Sens to cave in, join the party and move downtown. Hopefully it pans out that way.

As a side note, I'd love to see TD Place get a new north stand that matches the gorgeous south stand.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 1:54 PM

Quote:

I agree, and I'm optimistic as well.

It will eventually be built, even it if takes 5, 10 or 15 years.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
I didn't know about this, but I think this just improves the chances of the Sens eventually moving to LeBreton. In an ideal world, the City, OSEG, and the Sens would partner together to build a singular state-of-the-art arena at LeBreton to accomodate the Sens and the 67s (as well as attract other tenants like the NLL potentially). This would ideally work out for everyone because the Sens and 67s would both get new a new shared stadium with some contribution from the public purse. I do agree that a plan for a large LeBreton arena between OSEG and the City would likely be what forces the Sens to cave in, join the party and move downtown. Hopefully it pans out that way.

As a side note, I'd love to see TD Place get a new north stand that matches the gorgeous south stand.
This is what started to break the log jam in Calgary - the investigation of a mid sized stadium to replace our now torn down mid sized stadium. Changed the city's attitude about what a public contribution would look like.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 5:02 PM

shouldn't the flames just scale back the arena from 19,000 to 17,000 seats to save the project would make sense as nose bleed seats generate very little revenue and the flames who own the stampeders will soon need to invest in McMahon stadium before it becomes unusable for a city of Calgary's stature and importance in the CFL and in Canada.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:55 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:09 AM
Community Guy

Impressive stuff.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:09 AM
ARTchitecture

Just saw that the other day. I love it, except for the idea of turning that section of Crowchild Trail into an "urban corridor" That idea is laughable, as Crowchild is to become a fully separated expressway by 2040. Anyways, other than that this plan is ambitious, sensible, and would work really well for the area. For inner-suburban Calgary there would also be minimal nimbyism affecting this project too, which would be quite a new phenomenon here.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:44 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

^Exactly my thoughts Chad

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 12:38 PM

Throwback picture to the last original Winnipeg Jets game, back in 1996... here's what Winnipeg Arena looked like that day.

I don't get why it's so grainy... you would think the game was played over a hundred years ago and not 25 years back. But nonetheless....

Source:winnipegfreepress.com

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 2:51 PM

Man I love those old time barns!

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:55 PM
Community Guy

Yup... something special about em that is kinda lost now.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 12, 2021, 3:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Throwback picture to the last original Winnipeg Jets game, back in 1996... here's what Winnipeg Arena looked like that day.

I don't get why it's so grainy... you would think the game was played over a hundred years ago and not 25 years back. But nonetheless....

Source:winnipegfreepress.com
Where is the humongous picture of HM The Queen?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada