HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:36 AM
Community Guy

After a long absence and the return of warm weather, CFL football is on everyone’s mind. If you’ve not heard the Commissioner’s statement about the season ahead, you can read it in the link below.

Our Season Seat Holders have been walking in step with their team, and as we are planning what our season ahead will look like, we offer our thanks for their loyalty. United, we keep our eyes on the coming 2021 season, when the Green and Gold will take to the turf once again this summer.

When we return, you will be entering The Brick Field to watch a legendary team adopt a new name. We are not a new team, but a RENEWED team. With your support and participation, the proud championship-winning environment you have come to expect, will excite you for years to come under our new banner.

Head coach Jaime Elizondo and his staff will prepare a squad of all-star vets and breakout rookies, eager to wave our flag through another action-packed season of our football – CFL football.

The Green and Gold want to extend some options for your commitment as a thank you for your dedication in these challenging times.

This announcement means a reduction in regular season games played to a total of 14, which means your season seats will be amended to include 7 home games. The monetary value of the postponed games attached to your season seats will be automatically applied as a credit on your account. Here are some choices we’ve set up for that credit.

This credit can be used for the following:
Secure your 2022 Season Seats, any credits will be moved to the 2022 season
Move your credit to merchandise and get Shop.Esks.com gift cards for use on team apparel
Upgrade your seats for the 2021 season

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
At least the silence is over.
Sounds encouraging.
Does it? It sounds like more waffle to me.

From the statement:
Quote:
So, what must be in place for us to kick off on August 5? Two things.

The approval of public health officials across the country of our plans for protecting the health of our players, coaches, and ultimately our fans, so a 2021 season is safe.
Permission from governments to host a significant number of fans in the stands, in a significant number of venues at the start of the season, and in the rest of our venues soon after that, so a 2021 season is financially tenable for our clubs.
I have very little faith in those happening.

IMO, I'm fed up. They've had last season's money for a year. They're continuing to take money for tickets this year. And a large number of people pitched in hundreds each for the stupid Fan Base. And they've had since last year to plan this year out properly.

For all of that, I expect them to take the risk to start up, fans or not. They need to be actively running the day the restrictions change to allow fans in. Or people will find other shit to do. Instead of getting likely-record viewing figures while there's not much we are allowed to do, and building up the hype for when we do get to go back, they are going to get lost in all the noise of everything opening up later in the year.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 12:33 PM

^ The CFL is stuck between a rock and a hard place. You probably couldn't find a league facing more challenges than the CFL.

First and foremost, it plays in Canada which has taken a pretty aggressive stance on gatherings during the pandemic as opposed to the US which has been relatively laissez- faire. So that's a huge strike against it.

Second, there is a large number of players and staff on a football team compared to other team sports, so you have a lot of variables and potential weak links to contend with. Add to that the fact that many of them are coming from the US which complicates things.

Third, the CFL is in an awkward middle ground where it is bigger than small leagues that aren't burdened with a lot of overhead and fixed costs (e.g. CEBL or CPL), but it doesn't have major league revenues, particularly from TV. That's a big challenge and it limits what the CFL can do.

People are always slamming Ambrosie but I honestly don't know what more could be done here... it's pretty clear by now that the league can't do the bubble with no fans thing, so what else can it do but try and ride out the storm without going bankrupt until games can be played with fans in the stands? For a while that was looking promising, but with the numbers lately there is some doubt again. I guess the saving grace for the CFL is the fact that games are played outside in large venues so that could help to speed things up. You'd have to think that if each team could at least have 5,000 fans in attendance and charge top dollar for those seats that it could get a season off the ground, and that doesn't seem too far fetched at this point.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^
People are always slamming Ambrosie but I honestly don't know what more could be done here... it's pretty clear by now that the league can't do the bubble with no fans thing, so what else can it do but try and ride out the storm without going bankrupt until games can be played with fans in the stands? For a while that was looking promising, but with the numbers lately there is some doubt again. I guess the saving grace for the CFL is the fact that games are played outside in large venues so that could help to speed things up. You'd have to think that if each team could at least have 5,000 fans in attendance and charge top dollar for those seats that it could get a season off the ground, and that doesn't seem too far fetched at this point.
They could STOP announcing schedules and dates that they have no way of keeping. That's what pissing me off.

Come out and say "hey, things aren't going to go ahead until we have x, y, z, lined up", that's totally fine. But stop creating hope, and stop handing haters a stick to beat you with.

My other favourite league is MLR rugby. They came out some point last fall and said "one way or another, we will play in 2021". So the Toronto Arrows moved to Atlanta, San Diego relocated to Vegas for a spell, New York is playing in a park in New Jersey with friends and family only. Other teams have no fans. Dallas was supposed to launch their inaugural season, but chose to delay, and the rest of the league carried on.

I know they're a much smaller league without the same challenges. The point is, they said they were going to do something, and then did it. That earned respect from me.

The CFL has done nothing but burn up goodwill from me. If you say you'll do something, do it. If you can't do it, shut up.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:20 PM

^ A lot of people say this, but what is the CFL supposed to do? They have to keep planning for a season start. As I understand it, the teams are actively planning for training camps and a season to follow. What are they supposed to do, keep it all under wraps? To what end?

I don't think there is any shame in announcing plans that might get derailed due to covid.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ A lot of people say this, but what is the CFL supposed to do? They have to keep planning for a season start. As I understand it, the teams are actively planning for training camps and a season to follow. What are they supposed to do, keep it all under wraps? To what end?

I don't think there is any shame in announcing plans that might get derailed due to covid.
To some extent , yes. Communicate tentative dates in-house, and give a sliding time frame - from the day the province hits "go" X amount of weeks until kickoff, or something.

But, my expectation was that when they put out a full, dated schedule in November, that they would be sticking to that, fans or not, because why else would you develop and release that schedule? To sell tickets and continue holding on to money is the only answer I can come up with, and now that they have all that money and are continuing to waffle, is what angers me. Look at the owners we have Bob Young the billionaire, who is also funding the startup CPL. MLSE, sporting conglomerate. The new MTL owner: "Stern ... noted he’s prepared to play without fans in the stands. “I’m not hiding. I told you I’m in. I’m committed. I’m not running anywhere. We’re funding it.” "

I think they can afford to run without fans in the stands (to begin with, not even the whole year!). Especially if you manage to get some sort of boost from TSN, who should be able to get good value out of people watching sports on TV when there are no fans. Why they haven't is IMO down to poor leadership, or a lack of faith in their own product. If they don't have faith, why should I?

From Bob Young: "Today’s announcement by our Commissioner is the welcome news that we will be playing football this season! "

Uhh, no, they announced they were playing back in November. The "news" is that they are delaying again. They think we're all idiots that forgot that? Sure, announce the delay, say it's tentative, but don't feed me shit and act like it's sugar.

I just got off the phone with my ticket rep - I wanted my money back for 2021. Unfortunately, my Grey Cup seats are tied into being a 2021 SSH.

I don't need the money back especially, but I feel there is no other way that I can express myself in a way that actually matters to the team and league.

But, I don't want to give up my GC tickets, because it may be the last one before they fuck it all up with whatever XFL merger stuff happens.

The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy. The fact that I'm angry means I still care. But even that feels like it's slipping...

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 1:50 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
They've had last season's money for a year. They're continuing to take money for tickets this year. And a large number of people pitched in hundreds each for the stupid Fan Base. And they've had since last year to plan this year out properly.
I don't know what the right approach is either, but the money issue frustrates me too. Season ticket money, and now Grey Cup ticket payments as well for those of us interested in going.

The other thing to consider though is the league is trying to keep itself more prominent in people's minds. If months go by with no news, I don't think it would be long before the CFL becomes little more than a memory.

If they come out and say there will be no season this year (I too am doubtful they will play) we're likely to see many more retirements as players decide it's not worth the wait and move on to other jobs. There are lots of young players who'd vie to replace them, but we'd likely be watching teams that are very different. I'm concerned about the XFL issue as well, and what that may potentially do to rules and the ratio. Football in Canada, if it were to survive after another shutdown year, may not be the same... how many of us would care to continue to watch and support it?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:12 PM

Why are we doubtful this season won't happen? By early August, everyone will have had at least one dose in Canada that wants one, and a decent amount will have also had their second. There's no reason teams couldn't start with 25-50% capacity for the first bit and expand from there.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:13 PM
Community Guy

For outdoor stadiums I could see this becoming a great way for people to enjoy sport with family and friends in a spaced/distanced environment and quite popular to be honest.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 2:39 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
Why are we doubtful this season won't happen? By early August, everyone will have had at least one dose in Canada that wants one, and a decent amount will have also had their second. There's no reason teams couldn't start with 25-50% capacity for the first bit and expand from there.
While I'm a firm believer in vaccines, this virus has been tricky. I think public health will err on the side of caution.

I could see limited capacity games being played, but only with some government subsidies or loans, which the CFL hasn't been able to get. The league and owners have lost a lot of money already. Would owners be willing to play at a substantial loss if the capacity limits run deep into the fall?

I'm hopeful, but doubt remains.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Excellent news yesterday. No reason whatsoever why they’re can’t he thousands of fans in the stands by August because we’ve been told since Day 1 that vaccines are the end game.

Go Riders, can’t wait to bring my entire family for the home opener!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Excellent news yesterday. No reason whatsoever why they’re can’t he thousands of fans in the stands by August because we’ve been told since Day 1 that vaccines are the end game.

And if vaccines aren't the end game, what the hell are we doing? It would be a damned shame to kill off a unique part of Canadian culture because of this.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
For outdoor stadiums I could see this becoming a great way for people to enjoy sport with family and friends in a spaced/distanced environment and quite popular to be honest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post

These are good points. I've been willing to do my part by staying mostly indoors for the better part of the last year, but at this stage with mass vaccinations happening and better weather coming, I have to ask what the obstacle is to putting on games in 2021, in outdoor venues no less.

I am starting to get a bit tired of seeing people attending sports events in the US in a seemingly responsible, non-super spreader manner (not talking about the GlobeLife Field sellouts, but the limited-capacity events that have been happening for some time now) while we in Canada are expected to write off another year.

Surely to God in a venue as big as a football stadium you could accommodate 5 to 10 thousand fans (depending on venue size) in a way that is responsible and does not put public health and safety at risk.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 8:42 PM
Ham-burgher

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:05 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

So what is everyone’s thoughts - is there going to be any kind of 2021 CFL season ?
Personally I think there has to be. Regardless, I think the CFL as we knew it is a thing of the past (which could be a good or a bad thing). They have to change I think but man I hope the “new” CFL can somehow maintain the long tradition of the CFL (i.e. 3-downs, Grey Cup, etc.) that is a fond part of my life to this point.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:16 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

One positive IMO is that with a shortened season in 2021 there could be more opportunities for Canadians to play this year as Americans say it’s not worth coming up for 12 games.

On a side note - The Argos look much improved this year (on paper anyway). Hope this can create some kind of interest in the GTA. Even if they only capture 10% of the market that is 700,000 people!

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:36 PM

I'm not optimistic that the CFL will play this season. When you consider the current state of affairs in the league's markets, I have a hard time imagining large crowds (even a quarter capacity) being given the green light in three months time. For a while it looked like things were headed in the right direction, but not anymore.

The good news is that once this is over, I see the league coming back in some form (whether on its own or merged with the XFL or whatever). There is enough fan interest to make it worth someone's while to keep operating it, even if some of that interest evaporates as a result of not playing for a long time.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 9:46 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I agree, even if the CFL dies, someone will bring back some kind of gridiron football to Canada.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 11:30 PM

if there is a season i am thinking will have to be a bubble situation probably in alberta who has looser rules generally as canada is just too slow in vaccine progress now to allow fans.

Old Posted May 8, 2021, 1:52 AM
Community Guy

July is still reasonable with August much more so... and the fall expected to be back to 'our new normal'.

I suspect that we will see a fan-less July/Aug and a 33-66% August onward.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada