HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 5:34 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I just realized one thing: Nova Scotia = New Scotland. Those roundabouts sure will reinforce that Scottish feel.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
After spending 3 hours on this, I’m finally done! Picture’s coming soon.

Disclaimer: I didn't draw this to scale, so you guys would need to deduce some locations for yourselves. Oh boy drawing those 3-lane roundabouts was painful.
A direct ramp from NS-101 to NS-102 E might be a good idea in my opinion ?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 8:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I know mine’s a lot harder to follow (because I need to show the number of lanes), but one should be able to see the trumpet interchange between 101 and 102.
Also 102E? Like, towards Halifax?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 9:55 PM

Quote:
I know mine’s a lot harder to follow (because I need to show the number of lanes), but one should be able to see the trumpet interchange between 101 and 102.
Also 102E? Like, towards Halifax?
Ohh my bad I didn't see it 😅

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:08 PM

I really like your 2 idea and here I try to mix both here with some modification. Franco401 I liked your layout, I was inspired by it here to give a "cleaner" result than my previous ones

Grey = existant roads
Yellow = new roads

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:26 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFreeway View Post
I really like your 2 idea and here I try to mix both here with some modification. Franco401 I liked your layout, I was inspired by it here to give a "cleaner" result than my previous ones

Grey = existant roads
Yellow = new roads

From 101 E to 102 N, is that loop separated/barricaded from N.S. Trunk 1 or no? Also I’d put the merge ramp from 102 S to 101 W a bit further back because it’s too close to the intersection, where a red light may cause a backup.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:
From 101 E to 102 N, is that loop separated/barricaded from N.S. Trunk 1 or no? Also I’d put the merge ramp from 102 S to 101 W a bit further back because it’s too close to the intersection, where a red light may cause a backup.
Yep, it looks like I widen the road, but it's separated.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 10:56 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternFreeway View Post
Yep, it looks like I widen the road, but it's separated.
In that case you also need to think about how N.S. 1 E will access 102 N. I am assuming that access to 102 S will be via a left-turn onto that loop.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 12:41 AM

I like the conversation I'm seeing here. As far as I'm aware from a talk bedford facebook post about this exact topic (the fact it needs to be rebuilt to accommodate traffic needs)

There are apparently already plans in the works with NSDOT for a rebuild within the next ten year window, (this is considered a bigger priority over highway 113)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 1:14 AM

Quote:
In that case you also need to think about how N.S. 1 E will access 102 N. I am assuming that access to 102 S will be via a left-turn onto that loop.
This is the first time that I do this kind of drawing and I notice that the location of some ramps can be confusing. I have added fixes where I think the location of the routes is confusing.

That should answer your questions and as regards the access from NS 1 to NS 102 N I did not think about the geometry of the slip road for people arriving from sackville but it would have to be modified.

Don't hesitate to ask questions if anything

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:45 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I suppose that, as an alternative, you can still have a loop from N.S. 1 E to 102 N (yes, joining the loop from 101 E to 102 N), though 2-lane loops sound pretty rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolteN
I like the conversation I'm seeing here. As far as I'm aware from a talk bedford facebook post about this exact topic (the fact it needs to be rebuilt to accommodate traffic needs)

There are apparently already plans in the works with NSDOT for a rebuild within the next ten year window, (this is considered a bigger priority over highway 113)
Did anyone draw up proposals there?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 2:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolteN View Post

It'll be interesting what they come up with.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:03 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
It'll be interesting what they come up with.
I’ll laugh if theirs is close to mine.
I hope for something close to Franco401’s. Also, Burnside Connector isn’t piggybacking onto Bedford Bypass any time soon.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I’ll laugh if theirs is close to mine.
I hope for something close to Franco401’s. Also, Burnside Connector isn’t piggybacking onto Bedford Bypass any time soon.
Imagine if they make it more like mine? I think if that were to happen, you should have to do something. Just not sure what.

On another note, is anyone going to look at all that have been posted to highlight the merits and shortcomings of each?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:37 AM

Here is my entry. I don't know anything about Halifax but I like designing interchanges so here it is. The main changes I made were converting the cloverleaf into a diamond, and removing access from Hwy 101 to Bedford. I replaced this with a half diamond on the Bedford Bypass. Since the Bedford Bypass is for traffic travelling between Sackville and points south, I didn't add access from Hwy 102 to the bypass, which would add way more traffic to the bypass which, as I understand is already way over capacity. Traffic coming from the south will be forced to use the new Hwy 107 connector to get onto Hwy 102.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...kZ&usp=sharing

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:05 PM

Hello! I am a long time lurker on this forum (5+ YEARS), and am now finally ready to contribute... lol. I find this topic particularly interesting because it does impact my work commute, and because of the success of the new 102/103 interchange.

I'm on the South Shore and have to commute to Burnside for work. Many of us do. The 107 extension will be huge for me because now I can completely avoid taking the bridge. I still would like to see access to/from the Bedford bypass (BBP) from the 102. Specifically I want to see access from 102 NB onto the BBP, and a way to get off of the BBP to head 102 SB. Obviously the 107 will sort this out but I see this better serving the lower half of Burnside and DT Dartmouth / bridge traffic.

In my sketch green represents new two lane reduced speed collector. Blue is new on/off ramps. Some have new tunnels like the new 102/103 interchange. Yellow represents new overpasses that have to be constructed to accommodate the wider highway (the 102/101 overpass is rat shit and is now one of the scariest bridges in NS... IMO).

I feel most of the clover leafs will need to stay but can be smoothed out and tweaked a little to make them safer. With the collector lanes in place traffic backup should be negligible. I think the 107 is good as it is, just need to connect the collector lanes. I don't feel the topography of this area is accommodating for flyover ramps, especially to/from BBP and 102. IMO this is the lowest cost option which is usually what NSTIR strives for.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_427 View Post
Here is my entry. I don't know anything about Halifax but I like designing interchanges so here it is. The main changes I made were converting the cloverleaf into a diamond, and removing access from Hwy 101 to Bedford. I replaced this with a half diamond on the Bedford Bypass. Since the Bedford Bypass is for traffic travelling between Sackville and points south, I didn't add access from Hwy 102 to the bypass, which would add way more traffic to the bypass which, as I understand is already way over capacity. Traffic coming from the south will be forced to use the new Hwy 107 connector to get onto Hwy 102.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/ed...kZ&usp=sharing
This is an absolutely brilliant design!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:11 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Lol my eyes hurt. This is kind of like ON-401/ON-427. Incidentally it’s also in Kevin’s name.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 10:47 PM

Here is the interchange before the entire Bi-Hi was twinned in the early 60's. Notice the overpass was built over a short twinned section of the 102 Bi-Hi.

Orientation: Looking North on the 102 before the Bedford Bypass was built. Rifle range/ Sackville on left. Bedford Highway on right.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 11:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Wow traffic was little back then. Now 102 can get busy all the way up to Truro...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure