HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Do you think that Hamilton should go through with the LRT?
Yes. 14 93.33%
No. 1 6.67%
Maybe. 0 0%
I'd rather not say. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 7:32 PM
HSR Bus Fan // Registered

Smile Hamilton Street Railway Company (HSR) LRT Thread

This is a thread about the LRT that is going to be put into Hamilton, Ontario, Canada.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:05 PM

I said no - if it was done better (eg. go down Main rather than King) then I would be all for it. But I think shutting down part of King to cars is going to kill the downtown

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I said no - if it was done better (eg. go down Main rather than King) then I would be all for it. But I think shutting down part of King to cars is going to kill the downtown
Putting it on Main would also save an estimated $100-million.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
I severely disagree. I am surprised you feel this way with a minor in geography.

Part of the success of a LRT system is having the room for expansion, and having existing capacity that can be loaded to the system. King has both. Main does not. Main is a dead zone at the moment, which is in part due to the current one way road, but LRT would not resolve that as much of the road is low density compared to King, with very few places where development could occur. Furthermore there are a lot of missed connections with existing locations, such as Bernie Custis and Tim Hortons stadium. Many of the King St stops have a much larger population base to pull from, especially since it is closer to the centre than Main.

The most important fact is that the closer to the mountain you get, the wealthier the residents. This means expensive houses would be even more expensive, and there would be very little uplift potential for areas currently struggling.

I expect the LRT to do the opposite of what you suggest. With a comfortable ride downtown and to other areas of the city, I expect the LRT corridor to explode with development. Employment should soon follow if the city can get its head out of its ass. Main will likely be made two way, which can save everyone from not being able to use their precious single occupancy vehicles.

The city should have a robust parking plan in place for downtown, and express connections with LRT stations, and especially work on North-South lines. Which I expect them to do if they have a transit engineer worth more than $55 per year.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 9:58 PM

The BLAST Network will also include BRT which stands for Bus Rapid Transit. BRT involves having passengers pay off board the bus, saving overall trip time. The BLAST Network will include 2 LRT lines and 5 BRT lines. I think that the LRT is a good idea. The B-Line is planned to be opened in 2024.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 1:38 AM

Wont the LRT be operated by metrolinx and not the HSR(as the thread title alludes to)?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:12 AM
Forever forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
Wont the LRT be operated by metrolinx and not the HSR(as the thread title alludes to)?
It will be operated by whichever P3 partner is chosen to design, build, finance, operate, and maintain it - DBFOM model. Neither Metrolinx or City/HSR will operate. I believe ownership remains in Metrolinx hands though.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamiltonForward View Post
It will be operated by whichever P3 partner is chosen to design, build, finance, operate, and maintain it - DBFOM model. Neither Metrolinx or City/HSR will operate. I believe ownership remains in Metrolinx hands though.
Thanks for the clarification, thread title probably shouldn't include HSR? May confuse ppl just browsing the forum thinking the HSR is owner/operator.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:41 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BLAST_network

The Wikipedia article for the BLAST Network is at the link in this post (the link that's directly above this line of text.)

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:42 PM

king10, thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure